Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .17 HMR for moose?

Default .17 HMR for moose?

Hey guys, I am wondering if you think that a .17 HMR would be a good calibre for moose hunting up there, I am coming from Wisconsin & we shoot deer alla time with .17 HMR & would love to get a moose with my .17 HMR, any pros & cons on this calibre for moose would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced...

Marv
    Fellow Cheedarheads! UNITE!!!

I really hope this ones a joke! If not see the archived thread ".223 for Caribou crazy or not."

Default All Fools Day

Goalie,

Good April Fool's joke, though I doubt many will really get the whole overriding gist of it <grin>.

Default Moose guns

NO!!!!!!!!!!
    A .17 HMR is not a good caliber for moose. While it would probably kill a moose, the bullet is WAY to small to be used for such a large animal. Quite frankly I think anything smaller for a .243 is small for moose, and many people think that's to small. I would recommend a rifle that shoots a bullet of at least 100 grains. The problem with a smaller bullet is that it doesn't get as good of penetration, and if it does penetrate the hole is small enough that the animal could take hours if not days to die. I have who friend who watched a moose die in his yard after someone shot it over 10 times with a .22. There was no telling how long the moose had been alive with those wounds. I'm sorry if I'm coming on a little strong, but the thought of an animal suffering like that makes me cringe. Please feel free to ask anything you want about moose hunting. The guys on this forum are more than willing to help out.

-Eric

Default I know you heard about that cheedar head...

That got probation for doing that "thing" with a dead deer, so I though I would try to get something going like this & poke more fun @ my fellow Cheedar heads...(Dang it guys, you coulda taken the ball & Ran with it!!!)

Default April Fools

Wow. If this was an April fools joke then good job, cuz I definitely feel like a fool.

-Eric

i dunno man, my dad took a 7 pt. bull elk down in wyoming with a 220 swift. no joke.

it was totally a luck shot though, between two ribs, through the heart, and the bullet stopped just under the skin on the other side.

I also hear F&G are going to have a limited draw for blow gun permits.

just make sure you have a backup archer
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Talking

The .17 HMR hasn't performed well on moose, however I've heard that it is a wonderful round for non-residents to use on larger bears, and especially at close range...........

Now Mark you know perfectly well the best thing for a tourist to do when a bear approches is rub his belly, this puts the bear to sleep so the tourist has enough time to rub bacon all over his body before running quickly away.

Rick P

Default no, no, no

I am getting really tired of having this same conversation over and over again. I think that any of us who have lived here for awhile know that anything bigger than .177 BB gun is overkill for almost any Alaskan game under any conditions you are likely to face. I, for one, am sick of all these non-residents coming up here with their monster guns. Next thing you know, they'll think anything smaller than a 22 long rifle is inadequate. Its all about volume of fire.

suprised no one mentioned a rimfire is illegal for moose anyway...could saved the hastle of a bad joke.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default I use this!

This is a great cal. I used it last fall to bag a 10ft brown bear. One shot!

edited*****************************

Default Joke

While this thread my be a joke; read P.O. Ackleys first book. He actually killed a black bear 1 shot with a 17 Javelina. NO JOKE!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    While this thread my be a joke; read P.O. Ackleys first book. He actually killed a black bear 1 shot with a 17 Javelina. NO JOKE!
    Opening day of baiting season?

April 1st?

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Opening day of baiting season?

April 1st?
    I wonder how many guys actually put out baits today though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Default baiting

Sorry guys, but I think bear baiting starts on the 15.

-Eric

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Sorry guys, but I think bear baiting starts on the 15.

-Eric
    Really, not you too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast