Thread: Final Conclusion

Thewolfwatching

Default Final Conclusion

“In Kipling’s ‘Jungle Book’ wolves were the “Free People.” -1893

“A real wolfer lived for his wolves, trailed them for days, slept out in order to waylay them on the trail, and when he’d shoot them both, walked from his hiding place to scalp them and strip off their skins in an act as quick as sex, leaving the white frames grinning in the grass.. That yodeling, streaking wolf-he strung up snares that yanked it into the air and kept it hanging there, upright as an effigy, choking, kicking, till he came in the morning and hugged and punched it and cut its throat, or bound its jaws with barbed wire and carried it home across his horse to tie to a tree in the dooryard to tease for a week…”

“Oil wells pump like nodding grasshoppers, bird watchers creep about on the lookout for avocets and phalaropes, and now that the deer are mostly gone, the wolves chew on stillborn calves and the carcasses of bloated steers that died of anaplasmosis. It was that last place the authorities thought to look, (for the debunkers, still a debating point), but the industrial buzz, the waterways and the highways may have served to delay the coyotes for a little while.”

-Edward Hoagland, U.S. Biologist
    Dated: 1976

I'm lead to believe for a hundred year F&G has been breading wolves and bears then turning them lose on game causing a shortage now of meat critters.Fact is F&G has not done that and there have always been even more wolves and bears than we have now and still had tons of other critters so everyone that wanted some could go get them no problem. The true answer might just be found if we look at how many dividend checks were passed out the first year and how many this year,its the only real change I see
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Soooo, what is the point of posting that bit of nonsense?

That this Kipling feller was a crackpot?

That would explain his notoriety.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Wow, weird stuff.

Thewolfwatching

No, actually he spent a great deal of time with trappers... It's simply written to make one think... I found it interesting on many levels in an abstract sort of way; honestly, it can create a sort of reflection into the past ;-).. I posted it for many reasons, as illogical as it may seem to some..
    He also backs the idea that the destruction of the wolves creates an over population of yotes..

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Soooo, what is the point of posting that bit of nonsense?

That this Kipling feller was a crackpot?

That would explain his notoriety.

Smitty of the North

We have an overpopulation of wolves, and the Coyote population is growing rapidly as well.

And I agree with Smitty of the North.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Thewolfwatching

Over population of wolves? Can you give me ruff stats on that? When was the last time you saw a pack? I can count 20 times at least in the past couple years I heard a coyote call… I can also count 2 times I witnessed a wolf pack trail.. Never saw or heard a wolf.. Many have witnessed the same..
    Of course in my area there’s only one pack and they seek to destroy it, mention it like the pack is 20 plus wolves LOL, and it’s 5 at best that run the river beds.. Any idiot would know better.. Any trapper would know better, well, most do.. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    We have an overpopulation of wolves, and the Coyote population is growing rapidly as well.

And I agree with Smitty of the North.

No over population will last more than a few months as the wolves die off if there is not enough to feed them.No food no wolves simple as that.Nature knows how to balance everything but humans whom keep comming up with cures
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thewolfwatching

Make of it what you will gentlemen but he’s simply an incredible writer that makes your wheels turn.. He’s non-bias but logical for his era.. The article came from ‘Lament The Red Wolf’ from the lower 48.. He was a participant to what happened in that focal point of history that shape shifted the southern states.. He stood against politics and just said what he found.. Simple as that.. No agenda.. Ha! If he had political motivation you would have heard about him!! He published his studies in an abstract way, entirely.. and for reason..

Thewolfwatching

Cures? You mean they treat symptoms LOL!! and by doing that they miss the point entirely haha..
    I'd be glad to post the "fruit cake's res" on here for public view... umm.. see what the critics think then.. uhhh.... sure they can compete with that -rolling eyes-
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    No over population will last more than a few months as the wolves die off if there is not enough to feed them.No food no wolves simple as that.Nature knows how to balance everything but humans whom keep comming up with cures

More power to ya, Tsalagi.

Last time I saw a pack, Tuesday of this week. Up on the Steese Highway. I saw three differant packs, following the Caribou.

I see wolves quite frequently. Mostly singles, or small packs of three or four. But if you want to see larger packs, follow the Caribou. I've seen packs of over 30 animals following the Caribou in unit 20-A. All moving along single file, following the same track.

As for Coyotes, the young GIs at Eielson are sure bringing in a bunch. Go up in Sheep Country come spring, you'll see loads of Coyotes. The Biologist have determined that Coyotes are the number one predator of Dall Sheep Lambs. Hence my proposal to the Game Board of "No closed season No limit" on Coyotes. They are a new and invasive species, that need to be removed.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by Thewolfwatching View Post
    No, actually he spent a great deal of time with trappers... It's simply written to make one think... I found it interesting on many levels in an abstract sort of way; honestly, it can create a sort of reflection into the past ;-).. I posted it for many reasons, as illogical as it may seem to some..
    He also backs the idea that the destruction of the wolves creates an over population of yotes..
    Abstract, is it????

ab-stract (ab-strakt, abstrakt)adj. Abbr. abs.

1. Considered apart from concrete existence: an abstract concept.

2. Not applied or practical; theoretical: See Synonyms at theoretical.

3. Difficult to understand; abstruse: abstract philosophical problems.

4. Thought of or stated without reference to a specific instance: abstract words like truth and justice. 5. Impersonal, as in attitude or views.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Excerpted from American Heritage Talking Dictionary
    Copyright © 1997 The Learning Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No wonder, it doesn't make sense.

Hopefully, the rest of us live in the real world.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewolfwatching View Post
    “In Kipling’s ‘Jungle Book’ wolves were the “Free People.” -1893

“A real wolfer lived for his wolves, trailed them for days, slept out in order to waylay them on the trail, and when he’d shoot them both, walked from his hiding place to scalp them and strip off their skins in an act as quick as sex, leaving the white frames grinning in the grass.. That yodeling, streaking wolf-he strung up snares that yanked it into the air and kept it hanging there, upright as an effigy, choking, kicking, till he came in the morning and hugged and punched it and cut its throat, or bound its jaws with barbed wire and carried it home across his horse to tie to a tree in the dooryard to tease for a week…”

“Oil wells pump like nodding grasshoppers, bird watchers creep about on the lookout for avocets and phalaropes, and now that the deer are mostly gone, the wolves chew on stillborn calves and the carcasses of bloated steers that died of anaplasmosis. It was that last place the authorities thought to look, (for the debunkers, still a debating point), but the industrial buzz, the waterways and the highways may have served to delay the coyotes for a little while.”

-Edward Hoagland, U.S. Biologist
    Dated: 1976
    You ever read "The Custer Wolf" by Roger Caras? One of the sagas of the predator eradication program of a hundred years ago. Good read.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

AND, that book about Ben Lilly.

I disremember the exact name, but that oughta frost your gonads.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thewolfwatching

Sir, I hate to interject like this but I’m purty familiar with 20A and umm.. the coyotes rule the roost as of this time.. It’s a sad day to see it but much of 20A was wiped clean last year due to weather and a severe over-population of coyotes (as predicted).. See, there was a big hail storm that wiped out most of the area in relation to berries etc.. The weather systems took out much of the food source that species depend on.. Very sad but sort of simple.. Many of the creeks also dried up as well as any swamp land so without water or appropriate vegetation the land lies very quiet..

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Last time I saw a pack, Tuesday of this week. Up on the Steese Highway. I saw three differant packs, following the Caribou.

I see wolves quite frequently. Mostly singles, or small packs of three or four. But if you want to see larger packs, follow the Caribou. I've seen packs of over 30 animals following the Caribou in unit 20-A. All moving along single file, following the same track.

As for Coyotes, the young GIs at Eielson are sure bringing in a bunch. Go up in Sheep Country come spring, you'll see loads of Coyotes. The Biologist have determined that Coyotes are the number one predator of Dall Sheep Lambs. Hence my proposal to the Game Board of "No closed season No limit" on Coyotes. They are a new and invasive species, that need to be removed.