Thread: Need reccomendation on an all around rod

Default Need reccomendation on an all around rod

I am looking for suggestions for a new rod for the wife, as she somehow managed to break two last year in the end of silver season.
    It will be spooled with 20-25 lb mono & be used from May to Sept ranging from kings in the salt, gulkana, & susitna drainages, to reds, to silvers in the rivers & salt. I was thinking of the classic steelhead rod 8'6 med heavy from Loomis.
    Any other ideas or better suggestions?

I hate to sound like a broken record so sorry up front. You should check out and if nothing else check out TFO products G Loomis is now working for them and has designed several rods that will fit your question. Warranty is on par with anything just about concerning the industry. The New Region Product rep is Alaska's own Tony Weaver. www.tfo.com

I don't sell their products however I do use them and dollar for dollar they are an extremely reasonable value.

Best Wishes with your new purchase.

BMR

Not to sound like a wise arse but if she's bustin' a couple of rods a year maybe look into uglysticks?? Reasonable price and they don't bust too easy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

BMR, I will check it out, sounds good & appreciate the suggestion.

Potbuilder, funny I was going to post no Uglysticks allowed, I don't like them, heavy & IMHO not very sensitive. In her defense one was busted transporting, either slammed the door, hatch, just wedged to hard in the tahoe can't recall. The other was during a snag when I could see it coming, just couldn't stop it. However both rods were at least 3yrs old & as hard as she can be on equipment I think they fared well.

I'd be inclined to get her two rods instead of one, for fun if nothing else. That's quite a range of waters and species you're trying to cover. A little heavier rod for kings in big water along with a little lighter rod for silvers would be more fun for her.

As for Loomis, I have four of their conventional rods on my boat along with some other makes and models. The Loomis are absolutely dandy, but very thin walled. They're a treat to use, but I'm sure they're more susceptible to bumps and bruises. My wife and I love them, but they're for our own use only. They stay in the rod locker when I'm passing out rods to guests. The other rods on the boat include Ugly Stiks, Okuma and Shakespeare. The Ugly Stiks are pretty gutless, even if bomb proof. The Shakespeare are light and fun, but pretty fragile. The Okumas are mid-weight in blank thickness, but with plenty of spine for fish. We've had two of them for four years and are yet to break one, while we manage to break a Shakespeare or two almost every year. Given their choice (without the Loomis option), most of our visitors gravitate to the Okuma.

Adding up buxx, toughness, weight and power, I'd take a hard look at the Okuma models. The savings are great enough you can probably get her the two rods I suggest for less than you'd pay for a single Loomis.

I have a 4pc 10wt flyrod from cabelas and a Okuma Large Arbour SVT 10/11 I use and it more then did the job, its more of a chuck-n-duck but as far as your casting for reds it worked perfect. I had 60 braided as a backing and 25lb maximo as mainline.

I would never buy a new Loomis as they are owned by a off shore company now. Getting there rods fixed is costing $100 and up. I use Lamiglas myself and the rod for the wife is a ugly stick. Its been stepped on and has boat rash and where I live there is sturgeon and it has reeled in a 48 incher on a 17lb rated rod. thats just my .02 worth.
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

Lamiglass Kenai Special 8.5 casting model is a great all around, salt or fresh, all species. Mine has become the go too.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I second the Lami Kenai Special. I have 2 spinning models and they are light enough that my 8 yr old flipped for reds all day last yr and never got tired. Very sensitive rods and their warranty is great-worth the $.

Another vote for the Lami Kenai Special
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Its hard to beat an ugly stick. I beat the living piss out of mine last season... dropped, stepped on, closed in a truck door you name it. Didnt even break an eyelet. It was cheap too something like 50 bucks. It looks old school and people always ask what the hell it is but it catches fish!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Another Ugly Stick lover here... or a Lami Kenai Special. I have a 10 year bait caster ugly stick that has caught everything from dolly varden, silvers, kings and even a 30 lb halibut last summer while trolling for kings. You want better sensitivity, spool it with the synthetic line of your choice, no mono. I used spyder wire and it works great.... I can feel the smolt nipping on my eggs when drift fishing for silvers.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

That' s what I was thinking as well. I use mostly all ugly sticks and have been very saticfied. Get a good brand of reel along with some good line and you should be fine. I can't see spending hundreds of dollars of those fancy G Loomis rods. Of course i'm not a rich man either... Jusy my opinion...good luck... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Not to sound like a wise arse but if she's bustin' a couple of rods a year maybe look into uglysticks?? Reasonable price and they don't bust too easy.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

you cant deny it! ugly sticks are AWESOME!! they arent a high quality, fine tuned, finess rod, but they are tough as hell

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    I was thinking of the classic steelhead rod 8'6 med heavy from Loomis.
    Any other ideas or better suggestions?
    I prefer the Hot Shot series from Loomis, myself. It's hard to beat the HSR1021. I have casting version in GL3 that is my go-to rod for just about everything salmon related.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I got a "like-new" Lamiglass baitcaster for the wife earlier this month...pretty good trade if ya ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I got a "like-new" Lamiglass baitcaster for the wife earlier this month...pretty good trade if ya ask me.
    Ok, I need a little clarification on this one, you got a good deal on the rod but gave up a wife?
    I don't think that is an option at this point.

Thanks for the suggestion Dan, I will put it on the list.

Ugly sticks all the way! i use a 7 ft med weight striper stick for heavy stuff, kings and salt.....and i also love to flip for kings n reds with my 8'6" tiger stick, for trout i use the 5.2" or 4'8" ultralights, also use them for silvers and they are a BLAST....i can feel everything just fine and almost never miss a strike or a hookup....on the spin casters one reel does it all, the president......for bait casters, my abu garcia 6500 is all ill ever need....

Release Lake Trout

My first thought was also an ugly stik, however, another less than brutallly priced rod is the Shimano Clarus, I've got an 8'6" casting model that has survived four seasons on the nushagak (I lived there) with well over 100 kings landed.

Catch It... you are one lucky fella. I have always wanted to fish the Nushagak River but as I am just a poor man I cannot afford to get there. Good ole Larry Zonka (Napa Outdoors) fishes there every season and just slays em) I heard it is an awsesome king fishery... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    My first thought was also an ugly stik, however, another less than brutallly priced rod is the Shimano Clarus, I've got an 8'6" casting model that has survived four seasons on the nushagak (I lived there) with well over 100 kings landed.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"