Thread: Sheep killer down

Default Sheep killer down

Went on a drive and after punching through some spotty weather, I was surprised to see a pack of 4 wolves running down the side of a mountain. I grabbed the .243 and headed their direction on foot. They went into a bowl that got them out of site, so I sprinted as much as I could towards where they were headed. The first wolf crested the top and spotted me at 100 yards. He bolted down the mountain, but the first three couldn't see him spook. I sat down and got ready, and the second two crested the top, stopped and watched the lead wolf running. They took off after him, so I let out a howl and one of them stopped. The cross hairs were already on it, so I squeezed off a round and down it went. I noticed the fourth wolf come over the ridge, and I took aim on it. I noticed out of the corner of my eye the wolf I shot got back up, so I went back to it. It was just flopping around, so I quickly went to take aim on the other wolf, but he was 400 yards and moving fast straight away.

I headed to the wolf and had to put a finishing shot in her. Long drag back, but well worth it. Figure it to be 75-80lbs, young female. Nice fur, but the .243 is going to cause me to do a little stitching on the back since the bullet hit the spine and tore a 7" long tear. Not the best picture, but evidence none-the-less.

That is great!! Congrats!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

NICE! what bullets where you using?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

WOW!!! great job! thats awesom.
    were you on a road system? which one?
    again congrats!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

The bullets I believe were from my old box of Winchester 85 grain. I've got some new Federals that I'm using now. They were purchased for moose hunting, and I've shot a couple of fox but they've been causing some excessive pelt damage. I still have yet to find a bullet that won't destroy fox for the .243.

Joe, Dalton highway. Running a few traps on my way back and forth from Prudhoe to Fairbanks.

Way to go, Jerod. I love seeing pictures of dead woofs.

Awesome. Way to go Jerod! I wish I could run a trapline on the haul road. I saw a gray wolf cross the road by Galbraith lake once and a black wolf cross the road about 15 miles north of Coldfoot. Lots of wolves up there. I know what you mean about the .243 rounds and pelt damage. I almost wonder if a heavier grain bullet like a 100 grain would do less damage, because the velocity is reduced.

I haven't trapped as much the last few years. There are a few people trapping down around Slope Mountain and Coldfoot. There used to be a trucker running quite a few lines along the road, but he no longer drives up here. I'd like to get more serious about it, but my time is limited to be able to hit it hard. With all the weather changes up here, it is difficult at times to maintain the line with the drifting and hard packs. I lost interest a few years ago when I started having more critters stolen.

That's a dream come true 4 Wolves, running,.... into your ambush,...Wow

and the pic, is sure good enough, wish i was you
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good job thats a nice looking wolf!

Make sure you keep us posted on what bullet you find that causes the least amount of pelt damage with your .243. I am looking for a good one as well.

Yes keep us posted on what the best bullet is for the .243
    Nice job. I am very jealous!

Thanks for posting.

Great job and the wolf kill. Nice work on howling to make them stop too.

I have some .243 80gr Hornady FMJ rounds loaded up that should be the same on fur as my PPC. I need to get to the range to chrono the various loads I have worked up so I get the exact same velocity.

Thats awesome, great job. I would love to run into some wolves

nice dog Jerry! try slowing that 243 down some.

i thought there was a 5mile corridor with no guns alowed? is this just for caribou?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    i thought there was a 5mile corridor with no guns alowed? is this just for caribou?
    From what I remember, the corridor starts north of the Yukon, but I'm not positive.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    its just for HUNTING joe.. Trapping is a different set of regs. and some units allow the use of a firearm to take Fur animals on a trapping license.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

oh thanks! good to know. was just curios....

Yup, I was out trapping, not hunting.