Thread: Overnight trips and fish daily and poss. limits

Default Overnight trips and fish daily and poss. limits

I was going to put this on the ask a trooper forum but can't pm for some reason. Anyway if a person goes out for an extended trip, what do you do as far as filleting your fish, freezing,packaging etc. and stay within the regs?

Kbarnes,
    Itís pretty clear in the regs what you can posses while out harvesting.
    The only way to have more (besides a proxy permit) is to process completely, meaning pkgd in a freezer or canned usually.
    On extended trips out in PWS we usually catch and release till we are ready to head back to the dock, and then keep the appropriate limit of species allowed.
    Read the regs carefully as it varies from area to area.
    BK

Not really sure how the reg's work but I know out of Homer they do overnight trips that allow for two limits of Halibut. That may be because they are charters but I really don't know the answer for private boats.

I checked with the troopers before and was told 2 days possession if not processed, and processed is vac sealed or what ever your choice and then frozen.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    I checked with the troopers before and was told 2 days possession if not processed, and processed is vac sealed or what ever your choice and then frozen.
    I think you'd better talk to those troopers again because this is the rule as written in the regs: possession limit means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession. That's how all those halibut charters get around going out and catching 2 halibut before midnight and then 2 more after midnight.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    ... we usually catch and release till we are ready to head back to the dock, and then keep the appropriate limit of species allowed.
    Read the regs carefully as it varies from area to area.
    BK
    you may not keep more than a daily limit on any one day, in order to legally retain a possesion limit the fish must have been caught on two different days.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I think you'd better talk to those troopers again because this is the rule as written in the regs: possession limit means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession. That's how all those halibut charters get around going out and catching 2 halibut before midnight and then 2 more after midnight.
    Muttley, I think your right, what I meant to say is if you have stayed over night (and I figured since the title says "
    Overnight trips and fish daily and poss. limits") the assumption was that you are staying overnight.

Clearly if you have a specific question about your trip, I would call the troupers and confirm. What I did before my 9 day trip was called and spoke to the troopers in Seward district, took his name and gave the specifics of my trip.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    I was going to put this on the ask a trooper forum but can't pm for some reason. Anyway if a person goes out for an extended trip, what do you do as far as filleting your fish, freezing,packaging etc. and stay within the regs?

Check out the "Definitions" section of the regs for determining what "preserved" means as well. Here is a quote:

"preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted."

Thanks for all the input. I'll try to see if I'm understanding this. If I go out for multiple days I can keep up to my possession limit provide the daily limits are not exceeded. Next question is do the fish need to be processed. What is the definition of processed, I tried to find it and couldn't. One more question, fish with size limits, does the carcass need to be retained until the processed fish leaves the boat or just until it is processed. Thanks in advance, like I said before I tried to pm this to the trooper forum but couldn't, maybe one of you guys that can actually operate a computer could help me out. Thanks KB

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I'll try to see if I'm understanding this. If I go out for multiple days I can keep up to my possession limit provide the daily limits are not exceeded. Next question is do the fish need to be processed. What is the definition of processed, I tried to find it and couldn't. One more question, fish with size limits, does the carcass need to be retained until the processed fish leaves the boat or just until it is processed. Thanks in advance, like I said before I tried to pm this to the trooper forum but couldn't, maybe one of you guys that can actually operate a computer could help me out. Thanks KB
    I don't think "processed" is used anywhere. The three main technical terms that relate to your question or "bag limit", "posession limit", and "preserved fish".

bag limit (daily limit) means the maximum legal take per person per day, in the area in which the person is fishing, even though part or all of the fish are immediately preserved; a fish when landed and killed becomes a part of the bag limit of the person originally hooking it.

possession limit means the maximum number of unpreserved fish a person may have in possession.

preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.

I would direct your queestion regarding the specimen retention to ADF&G. I am not aware of anything requiring it, but would be a good thing to double check.

A note concerning PMs. I don't think you can PM until you have 10 posts.

One thing to keep in mind. Lets say you are on your boat for five days and you catch three silvers each day. You freeze, can, or smoke your salmon every day to get them out of your possession. At the end of your five day trip you now have 15 frozen, canned, or smoked salmon aboard your vessel. This is perfectly fine for all species except halibut. For halibut you can only have two days worth (two daily bag limits per person) of halibut on board the vessel even if they are processed (frozen, canned, or smoked). You cannot keep five days worth of halibut on board even if you process them and get them out of your possession. This is a federal regulation which is different from state regulations. For conformation call NOAA at 907-586-7228
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    I would call the troupers and confirm. What I did before my 9 day trip was called and spoke to the troopers in Seward district, took his name and gave the specifics of my trip.
    I've done that before. Write the trooper's name, phone number and their answer right in your copy of the regs and take'm with you. I haven't needed to show that before, but if questioned in the field I would, rather quickly.

After all, troopers are human too. It could be possible to get two different interpretations of the regs from two different guys at times I think.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I've done that before. Write the trooper's name, phone number and their answer right in your copy of the regs and take'm with you. I haven't needed to show that before, but if questioned in the field I would, rather quickly.

After all, troopers are human too. I It could be possible to get two different interpretations of the regs from two different guys at times think.
    It happens every year to me. Thankfully I know the regs very well.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

After all, troopers are human too. It could be possible to get two different interpretations of the regs from two different guys at times I think.
    You've got it. Troopers are as prone to mistakes as any of us are, More power to you.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I would think this is a pretty simple answer. You are allowed one bag limit per day and a maximum of 2 bag limits for 2 or more days on the water. If you are able to can them or package and freeze solid say 1 days catch then you can take that one days catch again on your third day...and so on.

As far as cleaning fish on-board there is only 2 regulations that apply. The first is you have to keep the filets in a manner where it is easy to distiguish how many fish there are total and the second is for Halibut....there must be four filets per fish. See FishGod`s note on the total Halibut you may retain.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

When I go fishing for Reds I'll bring a deep freezer and once I fillet them and vacuum seal and they are HARD frozen that doesn't count as possession limit, or so I was told by a Trooper. I usually go for 7-10 days during vacation.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine