Thread: Penn Spinning Reels/Silvers

Default Penn Spinning Reels/Silvers

Would like to get some new Penn Spinning Reels to use for Silvers, what model and what size braid would work best?
    Thanks

I am a huge Pfluger President fan. they work great and are priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorRN View Post
    Would like to get some new Penn Spinning Reels to use for Silvers, what model and what size braid would work best?
    Thanks
    If you are set on a Penn spinner and braided line,the Battle seems to hold up to abuse and has a spool designed for braid so you don't need mono backing to prevent sliding. I beat mine up and dragged it though silt and salt and it still works just fine after basic cleaning. The Fierce felt flimsy in the store so I didn't even consider it. The 3000 size with 15 to 20 lb braid is more than adequate for coho. The pfleuger president mentioned by kgpcr is great also for spinning reels.

Kgpcr
    What model President would be best? Thanks for the answers, think I will order a President and a Battle 3000 and try both.

I got the biggest one they make. i have used it on the ocean and on the rivers. Depending on what you are going to use it for would depend on what size i would get. As for brain in the rivers if you are bank fishing and have to fight the current as well i would go 40lb braid or even 50. Its small so why not? in the ocean where you are not fighting the current i would go 20 or 25 but thats just what i would do. With braid line diameter is not a factor so why not go a bit heavier?