Thread: The South Fork of the Kuskokwim River

Default The South Fork of the Kuskokwim River

Hello,

I am currently planning my floating trip for the summer, but I still have not decided, which river I would like to paddle. I cannot find much information about the South Fork of the Kuskokwim River; has anyone in this forum already floated that part of the river?

I would be very thankful for any information!

Thanx

Where are you planning on putting in?

Yes I have. I wouldn't recommend the upper part of the south fork for canoe travel. Lots of class III rapids and sweepers. Check out Michael Strahan's book Float hunting Alaska's wild rivers and Karen Jettmar's book Alaska River Guide. Both have a brief write-up on that river. I haven't floated from the lower section after you come out of the Alaska range. That might be better.

Hello,

thanx for the fast replies.

I am in possession of Karen Jettmar's book, but the information it provides is more of a general character,- maybe I should buy the book Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers as well. Since I am from Germany, I thought it would be very nice to read some first-hand experiences concerning that area.

I think the best -since I would be floating with an ally folding canoe all by myself- would be to start the journey where the Tatina River flows into the South Fork (cf. Karen Jettmar's book). I will have about eight weeks of time, so I was also thinking of paddling all the way down to Bethel, but, like I already said, I have not made up my mind yet, where I am finally going to paddle this summer. Here are some of the quetions I am thinking about at the moment,- any replies would be nice:

Is there lots of people floating down this part of the river?

Is it very remote or are there public facilities etc.?

Is it possible to go hiking during the float or is the surrounding land pretty flat and swampy?

What is the wildlife and the fishing like? I have read in Karen Jettmar's book that there are also Bisons in the area, is it true?

Would you rather recommend paddling the North Fork instead of the South Fork?

Thanx a lot!

I think the question is where are you planning on flying into? Everything from Bethel on down is very slow moving river with much of the good fishing in the tribs because the water is so off colored. If you have the chance fly down to Quinhagak and float the Kanektok, Arolik, or even as far down south as the Goodnews River. All these Rivers are world class and people float them all the time. My experience has only been from bethel on down, but I do know the further up the river you go the water gets a little rougher. There are no Bison, there are caribou, moose, and bear to be aware of as always. Also, the kuskokwim will be under heavy regulations this year as the king returns have been dismal the last 3 years. Last year there was no king fishing in much of the area. If you are looking closer to Bethel try Kwethluk, Johnson, Eek, Tuluksak, and Kisaralik are all good rivers pending their open. Another thing to watch is the tides as if you are on the mainstem it is easy to get lost/stuck on low tide and ask locals about the tides because there is no alaska tide book that will match their tides.

Hello,

thanx for the detailed information, I really appreciate it!

I will do some research on the rivers you have mentioned!

Thanx!

Thank you.thanx is good .

how many days are wanting to spend on the trip?

Hello,

I have finally decided to go into the Brooks Range instead of paddling the Kuskokwim River; may be I will do that river next year.

Thanx for all the nice comments and information!