Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep shape 2012 - what did you do today?

Default Sheep shape 2012 - what did you do today?

I was thinking about the What are you having for dinner tonight thread today and how it has become the most popular thread on these forums with over 1,300 posts...and it occurred to me that maybe something like that would make sense for getting in sheep shape. One of the best things about the dinner thread is that it gives me ideas, many of which I've tried and some of which have become a regular part of our meal rotation. Perhaps the same sort of gems would be shared here with regards to getting in sheep shape as we move towards August? At the very least, perhaps we could share a bit of motivation to get out and get after it - something I've sorely needed over the past month of negative temperatures and darkness.

So, how about it? What did you do today?

As for me, my sheep shape activity for the day was skinning up Harp Mountain about 2,500' and then making some turns on my way down. Here is the view from about 2/3 of the way up:

For prep, I ate Muskox chopped fine with fat galore hand smashed in with A1 spicy mixxed in and some onions and garlic, stuffed into a fresh Caribou intestinal terminis , tied off and roasted till the potatos were done boiled and the bread still hot from the oven........., then had Raspberry tea (arctic raspberrys, very small, but an powerfull explosion of flavor)

For shape I butcherd a Caribou and planed the keel and fitted my stem and stern on tonight, hand fitted ,on another Umiaq (32 footer this time) here in my front room

And while the oldest daughter and wife sewed skin clothing......someday, Ill use that boat and when the Caribou aint crossing, Ill take a couple hours and get me a Sheep, as we watch them from the river below, between the mountains.
    Them women can make me a nice white Parkee to hunt in winter, and replace my old one.

Always getting ready for another hunt......... what elses is there to do???
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

[QUOTE=strangerinastrangeland;Always getting ready for another hunt......... what elses is there to do???[/QUOTE] Went to a Joint AC goat rope.. had a lot of fun! hobbled around best i could, and made new friends where ever i go ..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

30 minutes on the elliptical (boring)
    "f/64 and be there"

20min on the eliptical, 45 min on the hard weights, 2 hours of basketball practice with a bunch of 16 year olds but that was yesterday...today i'm sore.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Good thread, Brian, let's hope it has the staying power of "What's for Dinner?" (lamb chops and broccolini, BTW)
    I changed the belts on my '84 Suburban, shoveled snow, and chased two toddlers around all day. Whew!
    Might go snowshoeing tomorrow, look for hare.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Hiked a few miles, Took care of a team of dogs, worked on the car for an hour getting it un stuck by my self, plowed. wednesday worked 11 hours, spend a hour of so unloading freezers forma u haul, while everybody else just kinda stood there except one person....so me and him were practically running the whole time. thursday I worked a nice 14 hour day (had been working over time all week but not that much) friday, I thought I had the day off, but I went to church friday morning, and saw there was a few folks who didn't know anything about building tryna build some stuff in a office, so I got me tool bags and helped um for 5 hours or so. working hard will get you way tougher than working out....this fall I had been working 10-14 hour days 6 days a week since april, and me and pops hiked 20-30 miles a day in the mountains with ease (ok, not with total ease after the first little ways) with 30 lb packs.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I got up at 5 am...trudged through the snow and ice over to the small gym here at Camp Vance, Afghanistan. Hit the bike for 40 minutes hard then hit the weights for 30 minutes. Hope to be in the AK mtns in Sep after this tour!!!
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Anchorage View Post
    I got up at 5 am...trudged through the snow and ice over to the small gym here at Camp Vance, Afghanistan. Hit the bike for 40 minutes hard then hit the weights for 30 minutes. Hope to be in the AK mtns in Sep after this tour!!!
    Snow?? I thought that was like, 80 degrees in a desert?? everybody know that! LOL
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Walked 5 miles in 90 minutes wearing my Cabela's Alaskan Hunters, with 25 pounds of iron in the daypack...this while pulling 2 overweight Labradors. Sit-ups, weight machines, free weights. Geritol chaser.

What are some opinions for getting in shape for a first time sheep hunter. Good mix of cardio and weights? Hiking with or without weight in a pack? Thanks.

Did sit ups and similar exercises, shoveled snow, skipped a day of cross country skiing as with the recent 12 inches of snow I was afraid that the trails were not regroomed, hauled in firewood, trained my retriever. Swept off the wings of 4 cubs, including mine.
    Last edited by driveacub; 02-05-2012 at 07:12. Reason: added a line

DId 4 quick miles on new X-Country skis my wife and I bought each other a bit early for Valentines Day. Haven't skied since elementary school. Was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable it actually is. Now that I'm out of fat season the working out has to get a bit more serious. Back to grinding out 1 hour a day on the elliptical. Fun fun!!!

Swimming alot lately getting ready for a masters meet in Anchorage next weekend. I have a garage gym too with plenty of Crossfit equipment. Im gonna be getting after it early this year and doing some backcountry glassing and camping.

Went out ptarmigan hunting on my snowshoes for four hours yesterday. Today going out the door right now for an hour and half skate ski then to the gym to hit some weights!

Quote Originally Posted by Mavsmuk View Post
    What are some opinions for getting in shape for a first time sheep hunter. Good mix of cardio and weights? Hiking with or without weight in a pack? Thanks.
    Look into the cross fit style of whole body movement for basic core fitness. There are lots of options for doing cross fit in your home.

Back when I was spending a lot of time in the hills, my best replication gym exercise was walking lunges. I hated them at first but found that as I got used to them - and the dumbbells in my hands or bar across my neck - my hill climbing endurance went way up.

One of the hardest mountain hunting/hiking issues to train for is the hike down out of the hills. Micro tears in the thigh muscles used to crush me in my younger crazy back backing days. Everything was fine until I started coming back down the mountain with a heavy back. The only period in my life that it did not bother me was when I was training for distance running and forcing myself to make at least three 5k runs a week so that the 10k didn't seem so bad. During that time I had some nice steep hill trails to bomb down.

It can take up to two weeks for your thighs to heal from the micro tears developed from a hard hike down hill, so building up gradually to the condition is best.

Don't forget to stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Haven't skied since elementary school...
    Where did you go to elementary school?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mavsmuk View Post
    There is no substitute for putting on a pack and getting in some vertical distance.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have been doing minimum 3 mile runs on the treadmill, or the indoor track at the Elmendorf Gym, followed by going as long as I can on the stair machine. Also walking the treadmill at the steepest incline at a fast walk is brutal. For core strength I have been doing Insanity and lifting weights. Me and my out of shape labrador will be doing a lot of running around wasilla this summer, as well as taking walks with a full pack. We are planning on doing a lot of back country hiking and scouting this summer. This is possibly going to be my only shot at a sheep so I am going to work my hardest to make it happen.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast