Thread: Chicken Gold Camp - How's the gold?

Default Chicken Gold Camp - How's the gold?

I want to try out some gold prospecting this summer. I have been reading about different places and Chicken Gold Camp looks like a pretty nice place, but the one thing that I can't seem to find out is how much gold someone could expect to find. I understand that there is luck involved. But is anyone familiar enough with the place to be able to give a rough estimate of the average amount of gold someone could find there if they were there for say, a week and doing nothing but sluicing and panning the whole time? Any cool details would be great. For instance, I am wondering if there is a big difference in the amount of gold that can be found depending on whether you high bank, sluice, or just pan the dirt they bring to the camp for panning? Also, does anyone know if you have to pay for the panning if you are already paying for lodging there or is that maybe included? Again, I am interested in any information, even if I haven't thought of asking about something. I just haven't seen any testimonials for the place other than the ones on Chicken Gold Camp's web site, and nothing against them, but I would assume it to be a bad business decision for any business to post negative testimonials. :) I want to hear from people who have spent time there and know from experience. Thanks! Annamaria

You will have better results highbanking, it's all about the yardage you can process. You should be able to get a couple of grams a day if you pick a good spot. Some do better - some do worse... You'll have fun no matter how much gold you find.

We spent considerable time at Chicken Gold Camp before we purchases our lodge 4 years ago. The owners are great folks there and the rv parking and cabins are really nice. When we were staying there, you had to rent the pans and they had a nice pile of gold bearing dirt from thier mine. Really nice trough set up too. But his is ony for panning. I'm not sure if you can put a sluice box in the creek, as I didn't see anyone doing that, but maybe so. We would find a few flakes of gold in each pan, even 1 picker. After 8 hours, with 3 of us panning, we might have got a tenth of an ounce.. and that would be pretty optimistic. Still more fun than most things a person could be doing. I would estimate you might find a half ounce if you were lucky and running a highbanker or sluice box in the creek, if it's allowed, and you had a week to work at it.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Claude, it sounds like you have not been to Chicken Gold Camp for a number of years, as we introduced recreational mining on our claims in 2007. We allow access to all of our claims for high banking, suction dredging, metal detecting, hand sluicing as well as panning. We rent gear or let customers provide their own. We limit the pump size for high bankers and dredges to 2.5" as the creek is a small creek that normally gets pretty low during the summer. This summer (2012) we will open the ground adjoining the camp that has provided all of the panning material to the same recreational opportunities. We are also opening some of our river claims to limited mining activities. For more info and for personal (non-business) testimonials, see our FB site: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...p/188353539285.

You are right on, It's been a lot of years, for sure. I'm thinking spring of 07 was the last time, cause we bought the lodge in spring of 08. Wish I had time to go back and check it out. Was I even close on what folks are getting? I would guess it could be higher, depending on how much work they want to do and how much material they run.

Anyhow, great hearing from you and hope things have been well.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

We love Chicken Gold Camp!

I can save you a lot of time and effort, I will give you the gold I got with my 2 in dredge in two summers looking for gold. All I ask is to cover the cost of gas.

I made the drive up there last summer and had a pretty good experience with it. I paid to camp at the grounds which was pretty nice and free fire wood to boot ! I was suprised by the number of people that were there. I thought it was OK, but there were additional fees if you wanted to pan at the troughs,or get a ride to the claim on the atv. I was a good experience but I would go about it a little differently next time. I would take my atv. I paid for a ride to take my highbanker up to the claim and back. They said they would pick me up at five. I got all my stuff cleaned up and ready by the trail, and just panned while I waited. I was the last person there and started to wonder at six 15 what the deal was. At six thirty, I packed my stuff 2 trips to the parking lot and then someone on an atv saw my truck at the lower lot and came up. Anyhow not a big deal but when I pay to get a ride I dont like to be forgotten. I mentioned it to the ladies at the counter where I paid for the panning and the ride and they did not have an explanation they actually acted as if it were my fault! That really pissed me off. Im a lifelong alaskan and I can tell when someone has been dealing with too many tourists, they were maxed out ! I am not the complaining type and do not like to bad mouth people. Would I go again ? Not likely. I highbanked and found a little color,really beautiful stuff !
    Pick A Spot

So, first you pay to be able to mine, then you have to pay for a ride to the claim to do the mining? How much is it to get a ride there and back? I would think that it should be included, especially if you pay to stay there already. Are there any deals that include things like that, for instance if you pay to stay in a cabin or something?

Annamaria- Some businesses build packages, but packages are not for everyone. Most of our mining customers are Alaskans who choose to bring their ATVs, equipment, etc (which we encourage), so in an effort to keep our mining charges minimal, we don't build extra charges into the price, we keep pricing specific to your needs. We do offer some discounts such as a free day of mining if you purchase a punch card for 6 days. We are initiating a "loyalty" plan this year for our returning customers. We have a "1 oz" club and give a free embroidered hat to those mine one oz or more. For those who require transportation, we charge a small fee and for those who need equipment, we charge a fee. This year, we are opening up additional areas to mine, some which will not require transportation.

mikthestik- I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience with the transportation. We do our best to pick up everyone that needs a ride between 5:30 and 6:30 and we always have one attendant on the claims at all times who has an ATV so not sure how you were "missed". I'm not making excuses and glad that you mentioned it so that we can make things better in the future.

Just looked at map yesterday. Is the road to your camp or Chicken gravel or blacktop? What are the road conditions in early - mid June? Good enough to get a pickup and camper down with problems. Hey, I'm from Iowa done a lot of driving on gravel but would prefer blacktop when towing my camper.

Quote Originally Posted by chickengold View Post
    Annamaria- Some businesses build packages, but packages are not for everyone. Most of our mining customers are Alaskans who choose to bring their ATVs, equipment, etc (which we encourage), so in an effort to keep our mining charges minimal, we don't build extra charges into the price, we keep pricing specific to your needs. We do offer some discounts such as a free day of mining if you purchase a punch card for 6 days. We are initiating a "loyalty" plan this year for our returning customers. We have a "1 oz" club and give a free embroidered hat to those mine one oz or more. For those who require transportation, we charge a small fee and for those who need equipment, we charge a fee. This year, we are opening up additional areas to mine, some which will not require transportation.

mikthestik- I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience with the transportation. We do our best to pick up everyone that needs a ride between 5:30 and 6:30 and we always have one attendant on the claims at all times who has an ATV so not sure how you were "missed". I'm not making excuses and glad that you mentioned it so that we can make things better in the future.

The road to Chicken (the Taylor Highway) is paved to within about a mile or two of Chicken Gold Camp. You will see plenty of very large RVs there. http://www.chickengold.com/images/gr...mp-dredge.html

I will be stopping into Mike's camp a lot this summer so maybe I will see you there!

Steve Herschbach
    DetectorProspector.com

If so we will be using the gold pans we bought from you. We more than likely will be up in June early to mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herschbach View Post
    The road to Chicken (the Taylor Highway) is paved to within about a mile or two of Chicken Gold Camp. You will see plenty of very large RVs there. http://www.chickengold.com/images/gr...mp-dredge.html

I will be stopping into Mike's camp a lot this summer so maybe I will see you there!

Steve Herschbach
    DetectorProspector.com

In August 2008 my wife and I spent our honeymoon road tripping through the Yukon and interior AK. We spend time in Whitehorse, Dawnson City, Chicken, and a couple days in Denali. We stayed at Chicken Gold Camp while we were in Chicken, rented one of their cabins, and panned a little from the pile by the lodge. To this day we'll both agree that Chicken Gold Camp was the best part of the trip. We had color in every pan, and even managed a few nice pickers from the pile. While there we heard of and saw pictures of an old man and his grandson that were working one of other claims and both found absolutely massive nuggets. I mean the size of a rock, not a stone or a pebble, a hold in the palm of your hand rock. There's gold at the claims for sure.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I will be in the area starting in mid-June so unfortunately may miss you. I wish you lots of luck looking for gold though and hope you have a great trip.

Steve Herschbach
    Find me on Facebook