Thread: First time ice fisher, cluless!? HELP!

Default First time ice fisher, cluless!? HELP!

Ok, so I know this is a very broad topic, but I literary have no idea to where to start. I know you can rent shacks on birch lake, but do the rent gear as well? What kind of rods do I need to pick up? What about lures? Do hand augers work well, or is it dumb to even try and should just buy a gas powered one when I can? I love fishing, but grew up in Ohio and didnt ever go ice fishing. So I am clueless as to what to do. Books, videos, anything I can do to learn would be helpful. Thanks
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

the book-"the highway angler ice fishing" by Gunnar Pedersen is "pretty good dont cha no" ice fishing is alot of fun, sometimes very boring if your by yourself and they aint going after what ya got on the end of your line, then ya just start talking to yourself and every thing works out ok. start with good hand auger (strikemaster or nills) a bucket and a pole with a treble hook and some shrimp on it, then from that point there's nowhere to go but up-
    "f/64 and be there"

I'm sure some members from your area will pipe up, but in the meantime check out the Alaska section of iceshanty.com, lots of good info there.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I use an axe to chop all my holes, if your have good shoulders a hand auger is fine, gas powered stuff is for weanies, although I imagine the ice is thicker in NP than in big lake....where I fish its about 3 1/2 - 4 feet deep and with sharp blades that you'd get on a new auger you can crank out a hole in a minute or 2...or 3.... A regular spinning rod for trout or what ever your going after will work, after all, using a trout rod for trout fishing kinda makes since. when you have the money, you can get a short trout pole, go to the local tackle shop and ask somebody working there what he suggests for gear and go from there, I don't know anything about the regs up there but spoons, spinners, and his work good for trout and char, for bait, get worms, eggs, single, eagle claw J hooks...the snells, they are the best. don't need to rent a shack. just get a 20 dollar easy to set up tent at walmart and cut the floor out of it, or you can do like some, me included, do and not use one. fishing is supposed to be fun, don't have to spend a bunch of money on it. You hold get a ice dipper, to take the little shards of ice out of the hole. although you can use a plastic container with holes cut in it. after a couple years you will find you bought stuff that was useless and you could have got stuff that would have made your life SOO much better. I would make you a list, but I have been working a ton of over time lately and I don't even know why I'm still up, I'll see if I can write one up tomorrow. it would help if you know what fish you want to catch
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG's thought as to the scooper is a good one (+1), a cheap little piece of equipment that you'll not want to do without.

Another idea is to follow tracks on the lake to existing holes. If they have no blood around them in the snow, keep going. If they do, chop out the little bitty ice in the hole that formed since they were there, and slay'm good.

the scooper is something I never really though about when I got started....I honestly never thought about there being ice in the hole....I always scooped it out with my hand, and the water is surprisingly warm, but what really kills ya is no matter what you can't ever seem to get your hands totally dry before you stick them back in your glove, and you can see how that would work out after a hour or so fishing.....a rag is nice too, cause fish slime freezes your hand in a hurry.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

a weenie, for using a power auger, really,? wanna race? if you put a cash value on time spent and extra effort i think it makes sense to go power. if a person has a broken trout rod they can cut down the bottom half to the grip and epoxy the top section into the base.

Race... I'll race ya next time im up that if ya want. From a cold start, first one through wins a case of their choice.
    I was thinking of heading up that way next weekend if your free...

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    Race... I'll race ya next time im up that if ya want. From a cold start, first one through wins a case of their choice.
    I was thinking of heading up that way next weekend if your free...
    I'll take that bet.. The icegator dont have to warm up.

okay click. you bet. my eskimo is ready and i timed it 30 sec through 3 feet. dull blades.good luck.

ya the ice is pretty thick in the middle of winter in the fairbanks, north pole area, so a power auger and extension is going to make ice fishing a heck of a lot more fun. it also gets colder here so if you want to go before it starts warming up in spring again, you'll want to rent a shack or get one. An ice scoop is definitely nice, especially when the ice is really thick like this winter, it is too cold here to be sticking your hand down the hole to scoop ice. for most of your lakes up here you will be set if you have a light or medium weight ice combo, some little jigs or spoons (white, silver, and gold are good staple colors usually), and shrimp or eggs to increase your bites. usually if you swing into one of the local shops here people will be pretty good about getting you set up with what you need/might need. well, i guess i always go to sportsmans and they are helpful there but i assume other places would too.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    okay click. you bet. my eskimo is ready and i timed it 30 sec through 3 feet. dull blades.good luck.
    itll be a close one if u can make it 30 secs. that nils is insane

Hand augers don't work right now, unless you have an extension. I know cause I tried today and buried it up to the handle but no water.

Another trick I've found is to rent the ice huts online. They have a calender, and if you rent it the day after someone's already been there, the hole is usually still open depending on when the person left and how cold out it is. I've also heard that if you rent an ice hut at Chena Lakes they will drill a hole for you, but I've never tried this so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Thanks for all your help! I am no looking at buying some rods and lures with some shrimp. I do have the access to a gas powered auger, which will be very helpful. I might go out here on my up coming week off. It might be a lone trip, which will give me some time to think, but if anyone is interested, let me know. I will have to look into the times and availbilty to determine if I will be able to go now or wait till after my son is born.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    I'll get in touch with you later this week and see what we can work out, I got a buddy wanting to head up there saturday if he is off. Im gonna try to get up that in the next week or so though.
    There is nothing wrong with a power auger as long as you are not on foot, but I couldn't justify the extra weight.

i agree it sucks to pack. even in a sled it can be a pain to pull. i always wanted to make a pack for it. i fished for years with out one , i think my dad got a kick out of making me hand drill 15 holes and only fish 3. if you come out, we will have a good time trying to catch something.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Thanks for all your help! I am no looking at buying some rods and lures with some shrimp. I do have the access to a gas powered auger, which will be very helpful. I might go out here on my up coming week off. It might be a lone trip, which will give me some time to think, but if anyone is interested, let me know. I will have to look into the times and availbilty to determine if I will be able to go now or wait till after my son is born.
    I'll be up in nenana tomorrow afternoon, and if the weather is crappy and the plane can't fly we will stay the night, might be able to hook up with ya

Send me a pm after the 15th