Thread: Free solution to the problem where Garmin mapsource only installs on C drive

Default Free solution to the problem where Garmin mapsource only installs on C drive

Most software packages let you decide where on your computer to install them to. This is doubly important for a map program that has 3 GB of data files. Garmin is hard wired to install only on the C drive, for some reason.

I didn't have enough room on my C drive for it.

The good news is that I found a free utility that allows you complete portability of which drive your Garmin maps live on, and it works well and is simple to use too:

JaVaWa GMTK, available from http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Now all my map data is on my E: drive, where I have a spare terabyte of room.

You can also do an easy edit of the registry to put your Garmin .img files any place you like.
    It's some place like HKEY_LOCAL_Machine/Software/Garmin/Mapsource/Products/9.............loc.........C:\Garmin\TOPO\Alaska... ....edit the C:\... to E:\........
    or the location you want............Of course you need to put all the .img file in the location you specify.......

And ...i gotta say it......take caution when you edit the registry..... it ain't got an undo....:-).

Nice link familyman.......
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default registry editing is not for regular people, and SSDs

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    And ...i gotta say it......take caution when you edit the registry..... it ain't got an undo....:-).

Nice link familyman.......
    I second that; most people behind the keyboard should NEVER edit their registry; its just too much possibility of killing things that you didn't mean to kill.

I was really impressed with that free software I provided a link to. I just ran it; it told me about all the maps it found; I highlighted the ones I wanted to move, and clicked on the "move map" button, then specified a subdirectory on my E: drive.

Many may not understand the need to not use a C: drive for all your data (like Garmin certainly does not understand). My reason is simple: I got a new computer, and installed an 80 GB (i.e., small) C: drive that is solid state technology (NO moving parts whatsoever, and faster than you can imagine) and moved the computer's existing 1 terabye (1,000 GB) to be my E: drive. So I boot off of the solid state drive only and this thing reboots in like 10 seconds or less. Very very nice.