Thread: Fix for the Shooting Chrony Wire Rods and Diffusers

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Default Fix for the Shooting Chrony Wire Rods and Diffusers

I got frustrated with the diffusers on the Shooting Chrony getting blown off with muzzle blast from my magnum rifles even when I placed it out 9 feet from the muzzle. So I came up with a quick fix. I simply cut a thread sufficiently deep on the wire rods with a M4 x 7 die and ran a stopper nut down to the bottom using a wing nut to keep the whole set-up captive. It required drilling a small hole through the plastic diffuser to accommodate the rod insertion through the diffuser itself. The whole system is easy to set-up and take down at the range and completely eliminated my problem. For those of you who may have experienced similar issues this may work for you as well. I also made a more permanent fix to the brass sleeve. Because I can only attach two files to this post I'll simply say that I drilled a small hole through the brass sleeve while the wire rod was inserted and put a small cotter pin through it to keep it all captive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty Cool on the Ingenuity side, looks good
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I just goob them up with a blob of cast bullet lube, and that sticky crap does a pretty good job of holding them in.... Till you hit one with a bullet that is....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Till you hit one with a bullet that is....
    Or a gas check, I like this idea though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Very clean work Eric, I like it.

Here is a pic of the pinned rods. Eric was kind enough to send me the pics.

Chrony 1.jpg

Man, that is clean work, Nicely Done
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I guess that I am doing something wrong, as I have never had an issue with the diffusers on my Chrony. I set it out at 12 feet. We have used it with all of our smaller calibers along with pistol calibers like 44 mag, 454, rifle caliber 338 mag, 458 mag and a 1895G (45-70) that is ported.
    But it is always nice to see where people share ideas on how to improve things. That is the 'American' way. Good work.

I've also not had any problems with the diffusers getting blown off by the shockwave, tho i've seen 'em waver a bit

But I have mine out at the extent of the remote wire, seems almost 15ft, certainly is always 12ft out
    maybe that is the difference?

But I have had issues with shooting in gusty winds, trying to mess with those (that's a Kodiak thing, hard to get a really calm day)

and have been tempted to just not use them, for the fact that the two really old timers I know in Kodiak,
    just use the bottom short pce of upright rod, to help in set up I guess, no light diffuser plastics at all,....

Maybe it's the consistent flat light in Kodiak weather, but I have wondered about that
    when I watch those turn into windsails and mess with the whole set up out there, while I wait,....for a gap,...heh heh

I like the fix, it's functional and clean. My big rifles have breaks so no issues. My small ones don't have enough blast so no issues there either.

However, 270's and 300's send the plastic sailing so I for one will be preforming the mods. I picked up the wing nuts and the 4x7 die this morning.