Thread: Waterproof clothes in cold water

Default Waterproof clothes in cold water

I'm curious what most of you cold water kayakers wear in the ocean and elsewhere in addition to a pfd? Do you wear gortex waders and jacket, dry suit, or others? I noticed that most dry suites are over $1,000 but am trying to figure out what other options are available at less price.

There are other breathable dry suit fabrics besides Goretex. eVent breathes better and is less expensive. Several manufacturers sell breathable dry suits for considerably less than $1000, and they occasionally go on sale for under $400. You might have to wait a while for that though.

Here in ALASKA and SIBERIA-- have taken way too many "swims" I am 100% with KOKATAT gore-tex, never let me down. Hand made in the good old USA. There must be a reason the USA NAVY SEALS use them. Just my thoughts---
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Here in ALASKA and SIBERIA-- have taken way too many "swims" I am 100% with KOKATAT gore-tex, never let me down. Hand made in the good old USA. There must be a reason the USA NAVY SEALS use them. Just my thoughts---
    Goo
    I have done a lot of research on dry suits and paddling suits. Ive read a lot of online reviews and kayaking forums. The suit that gets mentioned the most for great all a rounder is the kokatat t3 angler suit. Pretty much the same suit as the one goeaux mentioned except minus the gore-tex. Right now you can find the t3 for 450 bucks on sale (2011 inventory). While not a 100% drysuit, its pretty close to it. And from what I have read, if you are wearing your PFD and able to keep your head and neck above water it won't let any water in and only tablespoons get in if you submerge for a moment or get waves over your head.

Hey mr. rimfirematt-- Your call- your ass- only my opinion. Have experienced hypothermia my self-- and this is what works for me and has for a long time in very serious conditions. Do you sweat?? This is not theory, only personal experience.
    Good luck with what ever you decide- safe boating to all concerned!!
    Goo

Smile

Hey mr. rimfirematt-- Your call- your ass- only my opinion. Have experienced hypothermia my self-- and this is what works for me and has for a long time in very serious conditions. Do you sweat?? This is not theory, only personal experience.
    Good luck with what ever you decide- safe boating to all concerned!!
    Goo
    Dang, chill out. Its not like I said the gore-tex suit sucked or anything???? THe OP said he was looking at other options, I simply stated one. He specifically asked for suits under a grand which the t3 angler is. The gore-tex one is right at 1000.00. Also who knows what he needs the suit for or for what level of protection? Maybe he will be just off the beach most of the time with plenty of boats in the area that can come to his aide quickly, or maybe he wants it for lakes. And for me that T3 seems like it will fit the bill, an affordable suit, that will allow you to overcome short immersion periods.

And who knows what the OP's activity level is? Im going to be fishing out of a kayak. Mostly bottom fishing. I don't anticipate high levels of sweat doing that, so goretex isn't needed in my case. But to be clear I have never worn one so who knows. Im just regurgitating others opinions and experiences.

And why didn't you pound on ol jim? he pretty much said the same thing I did, but I should have got some bonus points for saying the kokatat brand

Hey Mate, sorry if I sounded too serious, guess I always look at worse case situations. Tried to run the CHUYA river in a wet suite in the ALTAI's years ago and almost froze. The rest of the Australian team had gortex dry suits which worked great and I thought I was a bad ass Alaskan and could tough it out. Did not mean to sound like a know it all-- just 30 years as a river guide, was just saying what works for me. No offense intended. Guess it is relative to where you are and what you are doing.
    Sincerely,
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Goo
    +1 and I got mine for $731 during the REI 20% off sale. Its got the gore tex booties and relief zipper. That zipper is key! Check the kokatat warranty too for their T3 vs. gore tex- I think T3 is 3-5 years but the gore tex suit is for life. I made this purchase a couple months ago (or whenever that spring sale was) after waiting nearly a year and researching all my options. I also had the opportunity to borrow & wear a friend's several times over the last few years. This friend of mine had to send his suit in for warranty work after using it hard for like 6 years and kokatat went ahead and replaced the whole suit with a brand new one.

Buy it once and you have it for life. Also your safety on the water is worth the extra $$. This suit transforms you into a superhero (and a babe magnet). I go solo in it with no worries or concerns for my safety.

I've got 2 Kokotat Anorak jackets hanging in the garage. Awesome gear.

Pm me if you want.

I know the thread is a little old, but I thought this might help someone later on. You can pick up gore-tex dry suits for less than $1,000 if you shop around I got my wife's Kokatat with booties for $300 used a few times and my kokatat with booties and suspenders for $650 new. If you call shops sometimes they have used ones from their rental fleet or manufacturer seconds there are some good shops in Alaska and the lower 48 you can check with, just do a google search. I also really like heavy neoprene gloves when it is cold out.

I now have lots of hours logged with my T3 angler suit from Kokatat. Its been great! The neopreme neck gasket is a little tight for me but I bet its alot looser than then the latex! The suit has held up great with no holes or wear spots. In the heat of the summer it gets pretty toasty but still not bad if all your doing is slow paddling in the ocean. I wore it yesterday in the Winter King derby and it kept me warm and dry.

The few spills I took while launching the Kayak in surf it has kept me completely dry. I highly recommend it.

How long to the Kokatat suits hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Benning View Post
    How long to the Kokatat suits hold up?
    I have the cheaper non-goretex Kokatat semi dry suit and I am on my third year with it. I use it fairly hard and I use it almost like waders when on fishing boats and such. I detected a small pinhole leak this year but no issues so far other than that.

Cool, thanks.

We have the same suit and love them. They are not cheap but worth the price. Like my mother used to say: You pay for what you get. We own expensive stuff but it lasts a long time with care.
    Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I now have lots of hours logged with my T3 angler suit from Kokatat. Its been great! The neopreme neck gasket is a little tight for me but I bet its alot looser than then the latex! The suit has held up great with no holes or wear spots. In the heat of the summer it gets pretty toasty but still not bad if all your doing is slow paddling in the ocean. I wore it yesterday in the Winter King derby and it kept me warm and dry.

The few spills I took while launching the Kayak in surf it has kept me completely dry. I highly recommend it.