Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Use backing with braid

  1. #1

    Default Use backing with braid

    Respooling some old Penn reels with braid. Do I use backing and if so kind.

  2. #2

    Default

    I would. I tend to run about 6` of mono in the 40-60# class depending on the braid weight. If you tie braid directly to the spool you run the risk of the whole spool of line spinning on the drum under hard pressure....which means you`ll be handlining that big one in.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  3. #3

    Default

    I don't. Take a few wraps on the spool with electrical tape before tying on the braid (3 or 4 turns of braid around the spindle before tying), and slippage is not an issue.

  4. #4
    Member Boreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southcentral AK
    Posts
    294

    Default

    A few turns of hockey tape works very well to stop slippage.

  5. #5
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    Good idea, BrownBear.....but another reason to back with mono is that a lot of reels, especially old Penn's, are designed to hold a lot of mono which is huge diameter even in 30-40#; so, you may want to put a bunch of cheaper mono on just to fill half of the reel so you don't have to use 600 yards or more of braid to get the spool full. Well, maybe that's primarily a casting issue (to have a full spool...) so if just trolling or dropping to the bottom, 300 yards of so of superbraid might be fine even though the spool looks somewhat empty.

  6. #6
    Member SkinnyRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    320

    Default

    This aticle may help you determin how much of each type to use http://www.thesmartfisherman.com/3.html

    07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Good idea, BrownBear.....but another reason to back with mono is that a lot of reels, especially old Penn's, are designed to hold a lot of mono which is huge diameter even in 30-40#; so, you may want to put a bunch of cheaper mono on just to fill half of the reel so you don't have to use 600 yards or more of braid to get the spool full. Well, maybe that's primarily a casting issue (to have a full spool...) so if just trolling or dropping to the bottom, 300 yards of so of superbraid might be fine even though the spool looks somewhat empty.
    Yeah, I like full reels for higher speed line retrieves or slower spool speed on casts. I'll use backing as filler if a reel is going to require more than 200-300 yards of braid to fill. SkinnyRaven's link sounds like just the thing most of us need.

  8. #8

    Default

    On all of my reels I use about 50 yards of mono backing. Braid will slide around your reel like ice and you can easily lose a fish to that. Mono wraps around he reel nicely and will keep your braid in check.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  9. #9
    Member idakfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Idaho/Soldotna
    Posts
    224

    Default

    I used mono backing on an Avet last year and it still slipped. I talked to Avet and they said you should use tape first on the spool-friction, electrical, even duct tape. I was having to use my thumb to increase the drag on any decent sized fish. They told me to to check for spool slipage by tying my line to something solid and back up with the drag down tight. Sure enough, the spool was stopped, but the line was still pulling out.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I used mono backing on an Avet last year and it still slipped. I talked to Avet and they said you should use tape first on the spool-friction, electrical, even duct tape.
    That has a certain ring to it!

    I had the same experience and got the same advice from Avet. It's easy and it works well.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That has a certain ring to it!

    I had the same experience and got the same advice from Avet. It's easy and it works well.
    I suppose it can't hurt to use tape, but I have NEVER had any slippage when I put about 50 yds. of mono on the reel. The thing I like about having the mono on there is that if I ever get to the point where I hit the mono I know exactly how much line there is left on my reel.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Think about how much braid you will ever use, then add 100 yards. Wind this on the reel. Once you are finished connect a piece of 80 pound braided dacron (the cheap stuff we used to use for halibut fishing) and fill up the spool.
    Remove it all laying it in hoops on the front yard when the weather is good. Then connect the dacron to the reel and wind it up.
    When ever the braid needs replacing take it down to where it meets the dacron and tie it on and wind it up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •