Thread: Is this a Tough winter on Game?

Default Is this a Tough winter on Game?

Well, this upcoming September I start the Alaskan Adventure that I have dreamed about since I started hunting. Every midwestern Deer hunter dreams of hunting the largest Deer critter on the planet, right...So, Me and a good trustworthy hunting partner have set a plan to float an interior creek for Moose . Started doing the research and saving money literally 10 years ago and slowly learned what I needed in order to set a realistic expectation. We have read a pile of books, watched hours of video, in shape, spent a fortune on gear and have read hundreds of pages from this forum. Have learned a ton from you guys and I greatly appreciate that...Thanks!

So, after all of that I do have one concern...I recently read an online article that basically reported this winter to be an extremely colder that normal winter in the interior. Several record lows have been recorded according to the report. I am curious to know if any of you local guys have any worries about above average winter kills or am I over concerned just cause I am not used to seeing -40 on a regualr basis. Is this winter sustainable for healthy moose or any other Game for that matter?

No , low temps are norm, its the lack of snow that makes Caribou and Moose Happy. The graze better, and dont struggle and burn calories to get at the food.

Really, you gotta have some respect for any animal that can live 24/7, every day of its life out there, rain, shine, hot or cold.

So far, the strong survive.

This is my son with yesterdays female, he caught while I subdevided fire woods with my ax.....She is healthy, and weve had 19 days below -40 inna row.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Cool, I found a second thread, same, same........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I don't know about the moose, but its saving the buff's hides. here in delta, lol. 35 taken out of 105 permits so far.

(there is still 7 weeks to go yet tho )

Supposed to be warmer temps, but there will be alot more snow to deal with than in past years.

Human-vs- buff at -45 and 2' of snow, who is goning to win, lol?

anxious to see how the sheep are faring with the melting we had in december, i'm afraid there'll be ice on everything...thats never good.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212