Thread: Latest trip pics

Default Latest trip pics

Had a good three days on the trail. Lots of overflow though. Here's a shot below of where we broke through some shin-deep overflow and had to divert up a steep bank and break trail around.

It was a beautiful day and a bit farther on was frozen overflow with just a tad of snow on top

The next day found us following some game trail as we broke trail downriver

And then later we hit a large wave of running water on top of the ice

Temps were warm during the afternoon, about +15 degrees. -20s at night. My son took this next pic on the way back home of a pressure ridge and large crack/crevasse that is common on these as they get forced upward and expand. He was skijoring in front with his two dogs. (Whoops, forum only allows four images to be posted at a time so will post the pressure ridge pic in next post)

Another good trip...hope to get in more before spring really hits and the river turns to all running water.
    Best to everyone,

Bushrat, what river were these pictures taken on! ~Beautiful country~

Default Awesome

VERY nice Mark.

Sure is a nice glimpse into a lifestyle that has all but faded into the past.

More power to ya!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Smile Good Stuff!!

Great story Mark! I've never been, but would sure love to get behind some dogs someday! It looks as if the forest had experienced fire not too long ago...or maybe it is just heavy permafrost and stunted growth???

Default fires and location

hunt_ak, I'm in the upper Yukon area, north of the Yukon river.

Josh and Coral, we had major wildfires here in 2004 and 2005 that burned both sides of the river and beyond and nearly got us too. Dramatic changes! But I've accepted it and am enjoying being able to be a part of seeing it all happen, and I know how good it will be for the moose ten to fifteen years down the line. Sure is a royal pain in the you-know-what though, trying to keep trails open through all the burned deadfall. You guys don't have long now before the trip north, eh? I'm sure you'll be able to get behind a dogsled at some point after moving to Alaska.

Best,

Great pictures! That one going up the bank after breaking through the overflow looks "interesting" though not fun.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Looking to expand the trapline? Caribou hunting? All expense paid vacation???????
    In all your pics I've never seen one thing...........your just not a real bush resident if you don't have some blue tarps, Mark!!!!!!! Haha.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default ?Martentrapper, what's your beef?

Mike, not sure if you are joking or flaming. You say in all the pics I've posted you've "never seen one thing." Not sure I get your drift, or what that "thing" is. I sure enjoy mushing, and getting out with my son. So we head out and have a good time. I see lots of "things" in the pics, beautiful country, dogs working hard, overflow, scenery. If you're somehow joking, I don't get the joke.

Default Awesome pictures Mark

Mark,

Sure like your pictures and country there! Glad you could get out just to have a good time and spend time with your son. Sure hope things work out this summer and fall!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Mike, not sure if you are joking or flaming. You say in all the pics I've posted you've "never seen one thing." Not sure I get your drift, or what that "thing" is. I sure enjoy mushing, and getting out with my son. So we head out and have a good time. I see lots of "things" in the pics, beautiful country, dogs working hard, overflow, scenery. If you're somehow joking, I don't get the joke.
    I think he was only saying that he has never seen any blue tarps in your pictures.

Default thanks 1timestar

I get it now 1timestar...my bad. Funny how when you mentioned it it seems obvious. Mike, I use a camo tarp in the bottom of the rig and up the sides to keep stuff dry <grin>. Them blue tarps get annoying; I try to buy green or camo ones if I can.
    Best,

Gee whiz...........1stimestar has more bush savvy than you, Mark!!!!! Sorry my wording wasn't more clear. Yes I was joking and asking where were the blue tarps.
    Camo?????????? Haven't seen those yet. Got the green tho. I think my very first blue tarp was actually orange.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Gee whiz...........1stimestar has more bush savvy than you, Mark!!!!!
    You wouldn't be saying that if you were with me on my first dog sled race this weekend. Hahaha. What a series of unfortunate events!

I bet I'm not the only one who'd like to see more pics of your sled, Mark. Looks practical, yet functional. How about a better look at it?