View Poll Results: Which is your favorite caliber for predator hunting?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • .17 Remington

6 7.59%
  • .204 Ruger

2 2.53%
  • .22 Hornet

4 5.06%
  • .223 Remington

20 25.32%
  • .22-250 Remington

22 27.85%
  • 6mm PPC

3 3.80%
  • .243 Winchester

13 16.46%
  • Other

9 11.39%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Caliber for Predator Hunting Poll

Default Best Caliber for Predator Hunting Poll

I saw one like this in the hunting forum. Thought it might make an interesting poll here in the predator hunting forum.

Well I'll try again,22-250 ruger #1,do they call all the said rounds Remington?I've shot the gun my whole life but never liked remington's and never noticed the label.

i like 7.62x39. i have run so many rounds that its so natural to me. when i was in az back in the 90's i picked up a chinese sks and a thousand rounds, burnt up all that ammo in a week and went back for more. the round seemed to hold straight on long shots with a little wind swirl. now i have a russion. it kills them coyote's dead.

Maybe you should define predator before asking for a caliber choice.

I love my 204 Ruger and have taken fox and coyotes with it but prefer something larger if they are my primary target.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Well I'll try again,22-250 ruger #1,do they call all the said rounds Remington?I've shot the gun my whole life but never liked remington's and never noticed the label.
    Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i like 7.62x39. i have run so many rounds that its so natural to me. when i was in az back in the 90's i picked up a chinese sks and a thousand rounds, burnt up all that ammo in a week and went back for more. the round seemed to hold straight on long shots with a little wind swirl. now i have a russion. it kills them coyote's dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Maybe you should define predator before asking for a caliber choice.

I love my 204 Ruger and have taken fox and coyotes with it but prefer something larger if they are my primary target.
    Hey guys, I don't think you guys voted yet, because none of the rifles you mentioned were selected on the poll.

bahhaahhahahahah i love how the 223. is gonna domiate!!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    the "round" is referred to as Remington, because they were the factory that brought the round to the general market. Before that, the 22/250 was a wildcat load that you had to make yourself (by necking down a 250/3000 Savage cartridge). It doesn't matter what brand manufactuer the rifle is made by, the chambering is 22/250 Remington.
    It happens with lots of cartridges - 300 Win, 7mm rem Mag, 375 H&H, etc.
    The Ruger #1 is ,IMO, the classiest rifle going.

Looks like I might be the only PPC guy on here so far. I know another person who will be in on the PPC soon enough though. I am surprised to not see the .22 mag on the list though, that's a great predator round.

.221 fireball FTW!!

Well, I voted 22-250 because that's what I have, but according to Rick Kinmon who wrote the book Hunting The Hunters, 6mm PPC is the ultimate predator caliber. He uses 80 gr. Hornady FMJ's at 2850 fps. for everything from foxes at 20 ft. to long range shots on wolves. It's a one shot killer and doesn't damage fur. Maybe someday I'll have the cash to spring for a custom 6mm PPC. Until then, I'll just have to make good choices on bullets and shot distance.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

AKSoldier,
    I shoot the exact same load and velocity that Rick Kinmon recommended in his book. I've been very pleased with the results on everything I've shot from 30 yards to 250 yards. That bullet is really dropping off out in the 300 yard plus range though, so it's not the flattest shooter at those velocities with that bullet. Good enough for predator calling though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Looks like I might be the only PPC guy on here so far. I know another person who will be in on the PPC soon enough though. I am surprised to not see the .22 mag on the list though, that's a great predator round.
    I would really like to be there with you, but I feel your pain......as the lone 17 Rem! : ) Maybe someday the 6PPC.....or at least one of the 6mm's.

jageier,
    There are many other 6mm variants out there that can do almost the same thing. The .243 can do the same thing, just burns more powder doing it.

I didn't see the .17-225 up on the list either, what's up with that? Probably not too many of those around.

.22 K Hornet - anyone else shooting one of these?

Yeah......
    No kidding. I don't understand why creator of this thread wouldn't put this round up, it's about the best dual purpose round I've ever shot. I sent away all my old 17 hmr's 22 lr's, a ruger model 77 223 remington, and a CZ model 527 carbine in 7.62x39 to go back to the 22 magnum.

Awesome video Mainer!!! What are you using for doing your filming? Very well done, I really enjoyed it.

wasn't me.......just pulled it off of youtube.

I love the Hornet....glad to see it made the list.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

jageier,
    There are many other 6mm variants out there that can do almost the same thing. The .243 can do the same thing, just burns more powder doing it.

I didn't see the .17-225 up on the list either, what's up with that? Probably not too many of those around.
    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Yeah......
    No kidding. I don't understand why creator of this thread wouldn't put this round up, it's about the best dual purpose round I've ever shot. I sent away all my old 17 hmr's 22 lr's, a ruger model 77 223 remington, and a CZ model 527 carbine in 7.62x39 to go back to the 22 magnum.

You guys are killin me. My bad. I am sorry. I wish I would have got some suggestions before I made the list. On a side note, that is a cool video. I am curious if it was made in Alaska or another state. Do you know mainer?

I would have added the 220 swift to the list. Fast, accurate, flat shooting, and with a frangible bullet massive trauma with no exit hole.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast