Thread: Shell Holder dimensions

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Shell Holder dimensions

This is something that Iíve been wanting to bring up, and ask.

Lemme preface this by saying I like to keep my Seating Dies SET, and sometimes I even mark them as to what I seated last.

One time ago, as my BIL usta say, I went to seat bullets for which the die had been used before and it came out RONG, as in how deeply the bullet seated before.

I determined that ďbeforeĒ I had used a different shell holder, prompting me to make sure I use the SAME shell holder next time.

Have you guys ran into this? Different shell holders from different manufacturers with different dimensions?

Is it something that I shoulda knowed, or am I even right about this. (I havenít found a good, accurate way to measure a shell holder, to know for shore.) (Nor, have I delved into it, much after coming to a conclusion.)

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    This is something that Iíve been wanting to bring up, and ask.

Lemme preface this by saying I like to keep my Seating Dies SET, and sometimes I even mark them as to what I seated last.

One time ago, as my BIL usta say, I went to seat bullets for which the die had been used before and it came out RONG, as in how deeply the bullet seated before.

I determined that ďbeforeĒ I had used a different shell holder, prompting me to make sure I use the SAME shell holder next time.

Have you guys ran into this? Different shell holders from different manufacturers with different dimensions?

Is it something that I shoulda knowed, or am I even right about this. (I havenít found a good, accurate way to measure a shell holder, to know for shore.) (Nor, have I delved into it, much after coming to a conclusion.)

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Yes-um they is different. I donít like to mix die and holder brands. Donít remember which way this goes but if you use ether a Lee or RCBS holder the other brandís full length sizing die your shell wonít go all the way in because the holder contacts the die first.

I go so far as to pair a holder of the same brand to each set of dies and always use the same one with those dies. Yet another reason I prefer Lee dies, Lee thought to stick a holder in there for me so I donít got to round one up ta live in that box . . . it's dun moved in all on its own.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yeah, they can vary by brand. And not just in "length." I have an old Pacific intended for 06, etc, but about half the lots I try won't fit into the groove.

Two tricks I use. Over the years I've picked up a bunch of shell holders for next to nothing in garage sales, gun shows, etc. I just drop the one I've used with a particular set of dies right in the box with the dies.

The other "trick" is to make dummy rounds with the various bullets I use, and even for specific rifles when I have several of the same caliber and it matters. When I get the depth I want I seat a bullet in an unprimed case and use an engraver to mark bullet and rifle and OAL on the side of the case. These get dropped into the die box too. Kinda handy for resetting the seating die as you move between bullets and rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yes-um they is different. I donít like to mix die and holder brands. Donít remember which way this goes but if you use ether a Lee or RCBS holder the other brandís full length sizing die your shell wonít go all the way in because the holder contacts the die first.

I go so far as to pair a holder of the same brand to each set of dies and always use the same one with those dies. Yet another reason I prefer Lee dies, Lee thought to stick a holder in there for me so I donít got to round one up ta live in that box . . . it's dun moved in all on its own.
    I agree with Andy. I keep a shell holder in every die set so I don't mix and match, even if some of my die sets use the same holder. Beats digging through a box of shell holders everytime I wanna reload a different caliber too..
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I've never had any problems with 'hight', but I've had problems with the shell holders accepting shells. I recently started loading for .480 Ruger and the #5 shell holder that Lee supplied (I like Lee dies too) fit only about 1/2 the Hornady cases I have. I called Lee about this and they blamed Hornady for being out of spec. They did offer to grind my shell holder for $4. I went to Great Northern and got an RCBS shell holder, #40, which works fine with all the cases. First time Lee has let me down.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks to all:

It's good to know, I wasn't "All Wet", on this, and I appreciate the suggestions too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.