Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Forum ideas and support

Default Handgun Forum ideas and support

Anyone interested in convincing the webmaster to create a "Handgun Forum" for handgun hunters/pistol shooters/and enthusiasts? What are your thoughts?

It was bantered around a few months ago, & I was for it.
    My hunting time is usually split pretty evenly between my longbow & handguns, but this year I think handguns will probably get the bulk of the time.
    I've got a mod 29 with a red dot that I pack for black bear hunting, & moose in dense areas, a Contender with 358 x 444 & 22 Hornet barrels, & Encore with 7mm-08, 35 Whelan Ackley Improved, & 450 Marlin barrels (all are pistol barrels).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Ruger Super Redhawk

I own a Ruger Super Redhawk Stainless 44 magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel that I bought a few years back, intending on using it to hunt caribou. I am planning on mounting a Leupold pistol scope on it in the near future. I have know of a few folks that have been successful using their handguns for caribou hunting here in my part of the state. I am still practicing.

WD;
    That redhawks great in scrub country for moose too. I too would support and enjoy a handgun area I'm a TC nut and have a contender in several calibers, I hope to add a encore to my collection in the spring/early summer.

A handgun specific area on here would be fun for some of us.

I know of two caribou and a grizzly that are going to get whacked with encore pistols this fall.

What would a handgun specific forum offer that the current ones do not? I'm all for new forums, but as as webmaster of a large forum, I'm always considering the positives and negatives of such.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Handgun Forum positives

Here is my contribution to the positive: Handgun specific dialogue and discourse between forum members.

I'd like to see one added.

Wink Problems!

As a long time handgun hunter I"ve found that handguns are like guitars! No matter which type i"m hunting with I some times wish I had brought another! lol Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

bgreen, I don't think it's a "necessity" by any means, but with it "all things handgun", whether loading, target shooting, or handgun hunting could be in one place.
    Of course the "is this handgun big enough to stop a charging bear while I'm fishing" posts would need to stay here :-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Not sure how much use a handgun specific thread would have on these forums? Anything handgun though and you can count me in. Carl you
    forgot to mention that the cartridge out of your handcannon will be shooting a 180 .338 caliber bullet in excess of 2800fps! There may be some interest here regarding a 4-5 pound pistol that shoots 5-6 in groups at 500 yards? Maybe interested in my wifes 6.5 shooting 100gr partitions at and over 3000fps and her words" the thing doesn't hang up in the Alders like my 300 mag". If someone would give me a personal e-mail or instructions how to post a picture I would be happy to share.

Count me in

Neal

Yes I am all for a handgun forum . It would relieve clutter on the other forums and I am sure it would have more topics than a few other fourms we currently have !!
    I think this is the third time this handgun forum has been brought up ??
    Maybe it is time to give it a try .
    If it does not generate enough topics delete the forum .

For the first two topic's , here goes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the best handgun for bear protection ???
    Will my 44 magnum kill a a bear ???

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default By all means...

An all handgun forum would be great! Count me in :-)

Thumbs up

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

Default Handgun Forum

Is an AUTO pistol better than a revolver for bear protection? OR would an automatic revolver work OK? What barrel length is best for a pistol?
    If I file the front sight off my revolver will it make the Dr.s job easier?
    Count me in between Encore rifles with short barrels and revolving pistols with long barrels, surely we can design a box of ammo.
    While we may find a shortage of topics in the near future, we can certainly experiment with a Handgun Forum awhile.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Ptarmigan/Reloading/41 Magnum

A few years back I had an opportunity to hunt ptarmigan for the first time with a handgun. I used a Ruger Mark II with open sights, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, plus it was a great practice opportunity since ammo is relatively inexpensive and ptarmigan are plentiful, I harvested 6 birds that day.
    My hunting partner Jack who is an older gentleman, had been hunting with handguns for years, he favored a Smith & Wesson Model 657 in 41 Magnum. We went on a few caribou hunts together. He taught my young son the fundamentals of reloading pistol ammunition, my boy enjoyed it so much that he reloaded 90 rounds the first time around.
    From my observations the 41 mag seems to be a decent round for caribou that is if you can get within 25 yards or closer to the animal and have good shot placement. I have been considering buying a 41 magnum. Recoil is more manageable than with the 44 mag that I own and I think it would be a good hunting handgun for a younger hunter, maybe even an older/experienced hunter like myself. Anyone with experience with the 41 mag?

Default 41

Quote Originally Posted by WDChurchJr View Post
    A few years back I had an opportunity to hunt ptarmigan for the first time with a handgun. I used a Ruger Mark II with open sights, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, plus it was a great practice opportunity since ammo is relatively inexpensive and ptarmigan are plentiful, I harvested 6 birds that day.
    My hunting partner Jack who is an older gentleman, had been hunting with handguns for years, he favored a Smith & Wesson Model 657 in 41 Magnum. We went on a few caribou hunts together. He taught my young son the fundamentals of reloading pistol ammunition, my boy enjoyed it so much that he reloaded 90 rounds the first time around.
    From my observations the 41 mag seems to be a decent round for caribou that is if you can get within 25 yards or closer to the animal and have good shot placement. I have been considering buying a 41 magnum. Recoil is more manageable than with the 44 mag that I own and I think it would be a good hunting handgun for a younger hunter, maybe even an older/experienced hunter like myself. Anyone with experience with the 41 mag?
    The 41 Mag has approx. 20-25 % less recoil than a 44 Mag. I have found it to be extremely accurate and more pleasureable to shoot. It is available in both semi-auto(Desert Eagle) and revolver formats. My favorite being the model 58 Smith with a 4" barrel. Fixed sights and a standard un-shrouded barrel.They are lighter than the 57 or 29, don't have to worry about sight problems and have an excellent trigger. Since they aren't the most popular model they are quite a bit cheaper. The 58 was the revolvers answer to the under powered 38 spl. Much like the 10mm was the answer to the 9mm. Both big jumps in power and performance. A lot of people feel it is too small, however Phil Shoemaker says his favorite pistol is a 357 with 180 bullets, and he has decades of experience as a guide in the bush. Good luck...!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm all for a Handgun Hunting forum. I have started a couple threads about it. Seems like we have quite a few handgun hunters around here. We have discussions on calibers, guns, load data, optics/sights, experiences, etc. scattered all over these forums. I'd like to see it all in one place I'm just getting into it. Finaly started reloading for my 44 so I can afford to shoot a bunch and get good. I shoot a SBH and hope to get a crack at a moose this year with it. Would like to get into bear baiting with the 44 wheel gun also someday.

Perry

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm all for a Handgun Hunting forum. I have started a couple threads about it. Seems like we have quite a few handgun hunters around here. We have discussions on calibers, guns, load data, optics/sights, experiences, etc. scattered all over these forums. I'd like to see it all in one place I'm just getting into it. Finaly started reloading for my 44 so I can afford to shoot a bunch and get good. I shoot a SBH and hope to get a crack at a moose this year with it. Would like to get into bear baiting with the 44 wheel gun also someday.

Perry

Perry

If anyone has any clout you do !!! Pull some strings and lets get a handgun forum on line .....

You will have fun to say the least hunting moose with your 44 .

RR

USS SARATOGA CV-60

I brought it up again in the mod forum. We'll see. I offered to moderate or joint moderate. Usually the biggest problem is getting people who can spend the time moderating all these forums. I mod the gear and survival forums which are pretty tame. Not many controversial posts, etc. so it doesn't take up that much of my time. I mainly just have to watch for spam and smut.

Ya, looking forward to getting a crack at a bull with my 44. I have a friend who has never shot a moose. I'm going to take him out this year. He's an old Elk hunter from the northwest. Just never had a chance at a moose. This year I'm thinking he can rifle hunt, I'll pistol hunt and we'll go late in the season and see if I can call one in. If he can get a crack at one at rifle range I'll let him have it. I've shot a few moose. I'll get a chance one day with my 44. Lord willing...

Perry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast