Thread: requirements for flying from the lower 48 to Alaska through Canada

Default requirements for flying from the lower 48 to Alaska through Canada

Is there any special requirements for flying from the lower 48 through Canada and into Alaska. You always hear about the second R in ARROW but is rarely needed, do you need an FCC radio licence or some other beaurcratic paper work to make that flight? I have heard you can get massive fines for not doing what ever the requirements are.

Just looked on AOPA and everything looks pretty standard, however how does one apply for a radio station licence if you are buying the plane and flying it straight back up do you have to loiter around in the area you purchased the plane and wait for the licence or hope the seller does not sell and apply for it before you go down, of course if he sells it out from under you then you just wasted money on the licence. Also when you do a transfer of registration I assume that its a temporary registration so would you have to get a notorized letter from the seller? Then there is the issue of the survival gear, they type of plane I am flying up barely has room for the ELT and the paper work let alone a bunch of gear, is there a waiver for this?

Why don't you just talk to the Canadians about it?

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

AOPA international section on flying in canada and alaska is a wealth of information...I went thru that process last year...a TEMP registration is not authorized by the Canadians, you have to have the hard copy...An FCC license is easy to get but over a 100 bucks and has an online application...You also need the customs decal...and then all the other stuff on the AOPA site...That all being said...you often clear customs via phone and never see anyone official...Take that for what its worth and understand I have VERY limited experience...I am sure there are others that fly the trench on a regular basis...(just remember that Canada has very strict firearms rules and no handguns along with their required survival equipment)...

Thank you for the info, I looked at the AOPA list and went through the eapis tutorial however since the purpose of the flight will be to buy a plane and bring it back up, how long will I have to loiter in the purchase location to get a real registration or can I just drive to the FAA in a rental car and get one that way (my wife and I are going to make it a little vacation, however she is flying back home commercial and my mentor who has 1000's of hour is flying the plane back with me). He however has never landed in canada only over flew and it was for commercial flights so the air line must take care of the paper work for him.

Also the plane we are flying in cant carry squat other than 2 people, so the paper work is about the most that thing can handle. Maybe there is a survival gear waiver, I will have to call Canada and ask them.

You can get expedited registration using one of the companies such as ACME (http://www.acmeairtitleservice.com/) or plenty of others who did your title search (MAKE SURE TO DO THAT!) who will just turn around and email you a copy of a registration that is legal to carry in the plane. The temporary registration that is not legal for Canada is the signed part of the old registration that the seller verifies is sold to you. However, the emailed copy you receive is only valid for I think a couple of months and is the way to go. The paperwork should only take a couple of days. I also did the decal online, but didn't receive it before I left, however, a printout of the Decal receipt was sufficient for the US Customs guy here in Alaska. Noone asked about the radio license - and cleared customs by cell phone while taxing to get fuel in Penticton.

Oh yeah, the eapis thing is really screwy - make sure to only prefile one for leaving US and one for entering the US. Do not make changes by filing another eapis. Then have the phone number of the customs at your destination (not a central number) and make any changes to your arrival when you launch on the border crossing leg. Then update the customs via FSS.
    Also no fuel in Northway.

Good to know, is there fuel in beaver creek? I may have my wife drive to meet me at north way if nessicary with fuel. I only have a 300 mile range max and should not be going further than 250 ish before fuel up. So no fuel between beaver creek and glenn allen would not be good and if beaver creek did not have fuel then it would be white horse and glenn allen thats way to long to go without fuel.

Could you provide thoes direct numbers, are they the same numbers that are on the AOPA site or are they local numbers to the customs guy himself? Also are the customs guys there 24/7 or do they have limited hours?

Also Canda requires liability insurnace, who do you guys in Alaska go through. Trying to get insurance in Alaska is a nightmare, of course I was trying to get full hull so maybe liability is much easier and cheaper to get. For hull I only found one place that insures in Alaska and that was falcon, but it was so expensive that I coudl strike my prop and pay out of pocket.

Also who would I call about getting a survivial gear waiver? It is litterally impossible to store gear in the plane im flying up. I was planning on doing the whole eapis at once since internet service is likely spotty at whitehorse for an iphone. Hopefully the seller will let me do all of this at his hangar, if he kicks us out straight away then we will have to get flying and have my wife file stuff from the hotel. The sucky thing is some of these requirements require the N number of the plane so I cant do them upfront.

There used to be fuel in Haines junction and Beaver creek - not sure today, you might have to call the Canadians about that or arrange one of the air taxis to bring a couple of jugs to CYXQ for you. My Canadian supplement is back at the hangar so I can't check that for you now, but it's in there and you need it when you fly across Canada (http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.as...fs/default.xml). If you can use mogas, that'll open up some more options for you.

They are local #s that you have to call during their operating hours.
    DHS Ports of entry contact #s: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ak/ (have those #s with you).
    They have to drive from the border station to Northway to meet you - they'll not be happy if you're too late, or early - don't even get out of the airplane until they wave you out - even to piss (take care of that in Beaver creek).

Did you check with AVEMCO regarding insurance? That's whom I have.

I've never heard of anyone checking your survival gear. Now if they have to rescue you, that might be different. Nonetheless, these things are getting so small these days, you can fit all of the gear in a small purse.

When are you going?
    What are you flying up?

Here's a better list of CBP contact #s with some more details - starts at page 34:
    http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...yers_guide.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by AKClimber View Post
    There used to be fuel in Haines junction and Beaver creek - not sure today, you might have to call the Canadians about that or arrange one of the air taxis to bring a couple of jugs to CYXQ for you. My Canadian supplement is back at the hangar so I can't check that for you now, but it's in there and you need it when you fly across Canada (http://www.navcanada.ca/NavCanada.as...fs/default.xml). If you can use mogas, that'll open up some more options for you.

They are local #s that you have to call during their operating hours.
    DHS Ports of entry contact #s: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ak/ (have those #s with you).
    They have to drive from the border station to Northway to meet you - they'll not be happy if you're too late, or early - don't even get out of the airplane until they wave you out - even to piss (take care of that in Beaver creek).

Did you check with AVEMCO regarding insurance? That's whom I have.

I've never heard of anyone checking your survival gear. Now if they have to rescue you, that might be different. Nonetheless, these things are getting so small these days, you can fit all of the gear in a small purse.

When are you going?
    What are you flying up?

Well unfortunately I'm not going until next summer, I will be going down to buy a Pitts s2b and bring it back up I don't have any flying to do right this moment so wanted to get as much out of the way as possible before doing it

Bringing a Pitts S2B to Alaska? You may want to rethink that one. While you are flopping down a hundred plus grand for one of these babies, make sure you order the optional heater. I get a kick out of your posts rppearso. When did you escape from the insane asylum? Are you off your medication now?

When my wife and I were leaving Anchorage for Florida in our TU206G Wipline amphib in November of 1985, it was still a dark and very cold morning (-40 degrees at Northway). A pilot had just landed in the Pitts that he was delivering for world-class aerobatic pilot Wagstaff. He was one very cold feller !!! Better dress for the trip . . .

And, flying a Pitts through Canada without emergency gear? Good Luck with that.

I do it twice a year and have never been asked for a radio license. If possible become Can-Pass registered as it opens up the airports you can clear into. This is usually a call or better yet preauthorized number. You just have to be at the agreed arport within 15 minutes of your eta. I have never been met at any airport in B.C. The Amirican E-APIS is the pain. Once entered a flight plan is almost impossible to change. I have had to change plans due to weather a few times.Fortunately, the Customs guys I have dealt with seem to know how inflexible the system is and let it pass upon explanation. If you are short fueled as I have been in the Cub, I can recommend a route that allows fuel every two hours through B.C. and is relatively weather immune compared to the Coast.

I dont see doctors about it, I dont want to know if I need meds. Ignorance is indeed bliss, if I knew and it was not favorable then it would bum me out. Yea they are just a hair under 100k, and insurance is an issue in alaska for any plane so I will have to figure out how to get liability on it for the flight through canada. I have a call in to yet another insurance company for full hull so we will see what they say but falcon wants 10% of the asset value per year so in that case its better to just fly without insurance because I could strike my prop and write a check for how much falcon wants in annual coverage. Im sure I can get something for liabiliy just to get me through canada though.

Its impossible to put survial gear in a pitts other than maybe a flare gun. Im sure there is a waiver because others have made this trip in a pitts before me and they did not have survival gear.

Well I will be flying in the middle of summer so it wont be bad and the only other way to bring it up is trucking it but then it will take way longer and you can screw up packing it plus you have to re-tensiomiter the cables between the 2 wings which could be a hassle.

I figure I will bring some of thoes hot hands packs and put them in my shoes and maybe wear a sweater, early to mid june or even late june should not be -40 lol.