Thread: Avet HX 5/2 or a tanacom bull 1000

Default Avet HX 5/2 or a tanacom bull 1000

Thinking of buying some new reels for this year but having a tough time trying to decide between buying 2 more Avets or trying out one of those Tanacom bull 1000s. I have 2 of the Avets now and have been very satisfied with them but interested in trying some deep drops and not to thrilled about reeling up from really deep. I think I can get the Avets for about $400 and the Tanacom about $900.00
    Any input on the Tanacoms would be appreciated.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    Thinking of buying some new reels for this year but having a tough time trying to decide between buying 2 more Avets or trying out one of those Tanacom bull 1000s. I have 2 of the Avets now and have been very satisfied with them but interested in trying some deep drops and not to thrilled about reeling up from really deep. I think I can get the Avets for about $400 and the Tanacom about $900.00
    Any input on the Tanacoms would be appreciated.
    Chuck
    Just for what it's worth, I don't know anything about the Tanacom reels, but I've never been a big fan of Daiwa equipment. And I don't actually own an Avet, but from the people I know that own Avets if I had the money I'd own nothing but. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about Avets and if I had my choice that's the way I'd go. Hope that helps.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I own several HX 5/2 and have had nothing but problems with them. The bearings are constantly going out. When I spoke to Avet about the bearings they said dunk them in fresh water and swish them around for 5 seconds, needless to say, that didn't work either. They also told me the bearings are designed to last for a season which is considered "20 uses or exposure to saltwater". However, on that note, when the reels are working they are great!

I don't have any HX, but I have many Avets from the SX and MXJ up through the EXW 30/2. My go-to reel is a LX 6.0 on a 7-1/2' Daiwa Interline jigging rig. I love the Avets! That said, on a flyer, I just bought an Atlas Kona 400. Seems to be very well made, in the LX/JX size class, and advertises a 5.8 retrieve ratio and 26 lb drag on full. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but very excited to jig with this rig.

Quote Originally Posted by northdan View Post
    I own several HX 5/2 and have had nothing but problems with them. The bearings are constantly going out. When I spoke to Avet about the bearings they said dunk them in fresh water and swish them around for 5 seconds, needless to say, that didn't work either. They also told me the bearings are designed to last for a season which is considered "20 uses or exposure to saltwater". However, on that note, when the reels are working they are great!
    I assume you're using them in saltwater since you said they should be "dunked" in fresh water. Uhhhhhh.....duhhhh. Saltwater will foul ANY reel you use and should be rinsed in fresh water every time you use them. Saying your Avets don't work like they should after they are used in saltwater is nonsense. I use Shimanos and never had any problems with them when I keep proper care of them.

I own a HX 5/2 and love it. I don't own a tanacom bull but my wife owns the smaller 500 Seaborg and she loves it. Its the cats meow for deep fishing and bait checks. She has never had any issues with it. I've used it a few times at 600-800 feet. The 500 was under $600. The Tanabull should be much stronger but I can't justify the extra power vs price. Either way I'm sure you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I assume you're using them in saltwater since you said they should be "dunked" in fresh water. Uhhhhhh.....duhhhh. Saltwater will foul ANY reel you use and should be rinsed in fresh water every time you use them. Saying your Avets don't work like they should after they are used in saltwater is nonsense. I use Shimanos and never had any problems with them when I keep proper care of them.
    Uhhhh.....duhhhhh? Really? Sarcasm not appreciated. Yes, I have been rinsing the reels since I have owned them. After speaking with Avet they said they are having problems with the bearings on the HX 5/2 and the Raptor Reels. They are having the same problems with them in Hawaii. They are claiming that is due to the high salinity levels found in Alaska and Hawaii. I own several MXL's as well and I have only had one fail on me due to bearings. Avet recently changed the manufacturer of these bearings. It is a question whether or not this could be part of the problem. As I said before, when the reels are working properly, they are a great reel.

Quote Originally Posted by northdan View Post
    Uhhhh.....duhhhhh? Really? Sarcasm not appreciated. Yes, I have been rinsing the reels since I have owned them. After speaking with Avet they said they are having problems with the bearings on the HX 5/2 and the Raptor Reels. They are having the same problems with them in Hawaii. They are claiming that is due to the high salinity levels found in Alaska and Hawaii. I own several MXL's as well and I have only had one fail on me due to bearings. Avet recently changed the manufacturer of these bearings. It is a question whether or not this could be part of the problem. As I said before, when the reels are working properly, they are a great reel.
    I'm sorry you took that as sarcasm. That was NOT my intent. It was meant to be a friendly statement like I was talking to a friend and joking around with them. That's all.

I also only have experience with the Avets. Never found a need for anything else except for fly fishing. I have had 8 Avets for many years four of which are 5/2 s. I have followed the directions on care and maintenance, and have yet to have a single problem with any of them. I am a true fan of Avet reels. I have some other brands that I kept for "spares" but no longer even bother to put them on the boat, as they just take up room. ~Mist~

It's sounds like I should stick with the avets. My kids can even crank up 50lbs halibut in low gear and leaving the rod in the holder with the HX5/2. A buddy of mine just bought a tanacom so we will see how that does this summer.
    Any input on who has the best price on a pair of new HX5/2's?

Charterboat Operator

no input on the best price, but i do have a question to you 5/2 users. how much weight can you crank up with the reel in high gear?
    bait check with 2-3 pound of lead on? in my research so far i have come up with the 3/2 bieng a little better ratio for pulling up heavier weights, any thoughts?

sorry trying not to hi-jack the thread?

Your right, in my opinion regarding the high gear for bait checks with 2-3pounds of lead. My eyes would start to cross if I were to try and retrieve 3 pounds in high gear from 200- 300 ft. I do like the high gear for quick retrieves and when I'm using 16 once jigs. When I have a fish of any size on I use the lower gear, easier on the eyes!!

Charterboat Operator

kind of what i had been told, even with the 3/2 heard that low is the only way to pull up a 3-4 pound weight. danged cook inlet tides!!!

We own 3-4 of the larger Avets but not sure of the model #'s. Also have one of Tanacom's. For test fishing deep water the Tanacom has no equal. Have used up to 8 pound of weights and it brings it up from 500 feet with ease.
    We have not had any problems with either the Avets or Tanacom.

If you can wait until the sportsmans show, that might be your best bet for a lower price or hit the on line sights, but then you have to battle shipping to Alaska the Foreign Country to the rest of the US. B&J's and also Mountain View Sports usually has good sales.

I've got a couple of Avets and can't be happier. I needed a couple of small parts for one and went to their website to order the parts but couldn't complete the order since shipping wasn't shown for Alaska (a Foreign Country!) so added a note to email me the shipping cost to finalize the order. Next think I knew I got a package in the mail with the parts, no charge! Can't say enough about their service. BTW, a lot of bearings these days are crap from China, trailer bearings especially. Hope AVET found a good 'ol USA supplier.