Thread: cabelas tent

Default cabelas tent

Which is better Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man or Cabelas new xpg 6 man tent, will be using it on a dropcamp moose hunt?

I actually have both of these. If weight isnt an issue, I like the Alaskan guide better. It's tougher and seems to handle wind better. Plus it's got a circular style so it seems more open. Little harder to set up than the xpg. I like the vestibule on it better too.

Thanks J2theD, we will be using it for a dropcamp hunt this fall the weight difference of about 6 lbs i doubt will make that much difference the pilot is allowing us 150 lbs a piece for a total of 300lbs. I had an eight man version that we took in 2009 with fiberglass poles it weighed 38lbs would use again but it is about 16 years old all seam tape has started coming off and it has begun to leak.

wouldn't hesitate with either...i use the XPG and love them...the extra 6lb is big for me...thats 6 bottles of extra propane!!! and only place i've seen an XPG collapse was kodiak,no suprise there. been using XPG on the mainland for 8 years, love them all.
    dad has the guide model but i don't like the "wasted" space with the round interior, or the dark tent.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

ya know jake out of anyone here, I respect your knowlage and your great advice thank you,,,,proofs in your pictures!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

just glad my time is able to help some folks cut a few corners i had to learn the hard way! and i get some of the same help from others in here as well!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks again I was kinda thinking 6 more pounds of food!

Have used both, but own the XPG (4-man) and love it for my dropcamp (moose and caribou) needs. Lighter weight, and like Jake said - this tent SERIOUSLY draws in light, rarely need to use your lamp inside at night if the stars or moon are out! One additional benefit - the really bright rainfly is easy to locate if you're stumbling back to camp in the dark with a load of meat. Would have been a lot harder locating the green tent that night than my orange one.

Well we have decided on the 6 man Alaskan Guide Model from Cabelas, they go on sale for 40.00 off plus I have a coupon for another 20.00 off so what was 519.00 will be 459.00 for the one with aluminum poles really was a tough decision but I have had the 8 man guide tent with fiberglass poles for 15 years all of the seams have started to leak and the seam tape is all coming off all this did not happen till about 12 years into it and many trips so I think I will try another one.