Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reboring with cut rifling

Default Reboring with cut rifling

I have sent several guns to JES reboring and have been happy with everyone he has done for me.

The one thing that I don't understand is choosing between 3,4 or 5 groove cut rifling. My 375 Win is 3 groove and the rifling looks a little different but man does it shoot. I will send him another 30-30 one of these days to turn into 375 for no other reason than it is probably my favorite gun to shoot and everyone should have a duplicate of their favorite rifle.

My next project for JES is a Charles Daly 98 mauser in 308. I love that platform and need a little help deciding between turning that 308 into a 338-08(338 Federal) or a 358 Winchester....maybe even a big bore. Has anybody out there taken a 308 out to 40 cal? My mind is wide open.

I would also like for someone to explain to me the pros and cons of 3 vs 4 vs 5 groove rifling and recommended uses for each.

Hmm, 40-08/10mm-08 would give about .024 for shoulder to head space if you keep the 308 tapered case, could be finicky but should work. 358 is a dandy well supported round with tons of bullet choices though, hard to pass over 358 for any other 308 based round. But 40 do sound interesting, Ill be following along at see how it works.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have both...338 Fed in a Tikka and .358 in a Savage short action I built. I like the Tikka better but that is the gun not the round. Both are great rounds and I don't think the critters can tell the difference on their end. I'm leaning toward the .338 Fed with a copper bullet because I think it might add 50 yds or so range to the .358, but then again does that really make a difference? Nope...probably not. Toss a coin.

Maybe I need to have a 94 turned into a .375 Win. What needs to be done in addition to the rebore to make it work?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Come on EKC! You gotta go .358 to make up for that 35-30/30 that you didn't do in favor of that .375! I'm a dyed in the wool .35 fan. But if you DO go with something else, at least go bigger not smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have both...338 Fed in a Tikka and .358 in a Savage short action I built. I like the Tikka better but that is the gun not the round. Both are great rounds and I don't think the critters can tell the difference on their end. I'm leaning toward the .338 Fed with a copper bullet because I think it might add 50 yds or so range to the .358, but then again does that really make a difference? Nope...probably not. Toss a coin.

Maybe I need to have a 94 turned into a .375 Win. What needs to be done in addition to the rebore to make it work?
    Send him your 30-30 and $225 and in 2 weeks or there-a-bouts you'll get your gun back in 375 WIn. He will willingly field any and all questions. 541-942-1342 It's one of the best deals going if your a lever gun nut!

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Come on EKC! You gotta go .358 to make up for that 35-30/30 that you didn't do in favor of that .375! I'm a dyed in the wool .35 fan. But if you DO go with something else, at least go bigger not smaller.
    I have a 357 lever gun so I don't need something to shoot pistol bullets. I'm more thinking I need a short action middle bore for moose or bison. I have a bunch 338 bullets and a set of 338 Federal dies. I agree with lowrider in that the 338 stretches the range a bit. I have a 338-06 that I really like and it would be fun to load for both and do a side by side comparison......still thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Send him your 30-30 and $225 and in 2 weeks or there-a-bouts you'll get your gun back in 375 WIn. He will willingly field any and all questions. 541-942-1342 It's one of the best deals going if your a lever gun nut!
    Thinkin thinkin...I'm driving out to Idaho hauling canoes, 4 wheelers and dirt bikes and spend a couple weeks there playing...we'll see how much money I spend on the trip.

The 94 Winchester in .375 does appeal to me. I have a post '64 with a Williams peep and a fire sight on the front that would work out nicely...thinkin...thinkin!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

evandailey, Earlier today a local guy told me that he was putting his dad in the nursing home and we talked about the costs of doing so. He then said that he was selling his dad's guns and other stuff to help fund the move. My ears perked up when he said there was a nice 35 Remington in the mix that was going to be sold. I will be going to have a gander at it in a few days. Your probably right in implying that I need a 35 caliber at least your going to get the credit or blame if I bring it home with me. If it's as clean as he says and the price stays in the ball park of what he quoted then most likely I will own it.

I have done a lot of reading on the 338 Fed vs the 358 Win and think I am going to go with the 338 Fed in my bolt gun. If I acquire the 35 then I will opt for the 338 for sure.

EKC,

If you get the .35, consider having it turned into a .356 Win. I have one and with even light loads it is clearly better than the .35 Rem which is a great gun in it's own right.

evandailey, Earlier today a local guy told me that he was putting his dad in the nursing home and we talked about the costs of doing so. He then said that he was selling his dad's guns and other stuff to help fund the move. My ears perked up when he said there was a nice 35 Remington in the mix that was going to be sold. I will be going to have a gander at it in a few days. Your probably right in implying that I need a 35 caliber at least your going to get the credit or blame if I bring it home with me. If it's as clean as he says and the price stays in the ball park of what he quoted then most likely I will own it.

I have done a lot of reading on the 338 Fed vs the 358 Win and think I am going to go with the 338 Fed in my bolt gun. If I acquire the 35 then I will opt for the 338 for sure.
    I'm happy to take the blame EKC! I might need to blame you someday for the same thing, haha. That's a .35 that I don't have myself and intend to pick one up someday. If you get it you'll have to let me know if you ever plan to part with it.

I have sent several guns to JES reboring and have been happy with everyone he has done for me.

The one thing that I don't understand is choosing between 3,4 or 5 groove cut rifling. My 375 Win is 3 groove and the rifling looks a little different but man does it shoot. I will send him another 30-30 one of these days to turn into 375 for no other reason than it is probably my favorite gun to shoot and everyone should have a duplicate of their favorite rifle.

My next project for JES is a Charles Daly 98 mauser in 308. I love that platform and need a little help deciding between turning that 308 into a 338-08(338 Federal) or a 358 Winchester....maybe even a big bore. Has anybody out there taken a 308 out to 40 cal? My mind is wide open.

I would also like for someone to explain to me the pros and cons of 3 vs 4 vs 5 groove rifling and recommended uses for each.
    Since JES is doing the reboring and offering the different options why not give him a call and ask for his opinion? Since he does it for a living he should know more than any of us.

Snowwolfe - Be sure to ask Jess about his chambering process as well and I don't think he does the reboring as his means to make a living - I had the 338 WSM cut in a 5 groove rifling for no reason I can explain, just "sounded" better ...

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I had the 338 WSM cut in a 5 groove rifling for no reason I can explain, just "sounded" better ...
    "just sounded better" thats where I'm at on 3 vs 4 vs 5 groove rifling and I'm still scratching my head.

I took this 308 out today to burn up some of the ammo that I have before I make the hole bigger, dang it shoots good as a 308. Am I crazy for taking a 308 with an almost new barrel that shoots 1/2MOA and then rebore it to something else. Maybe I should keep the 308 and then send him my control round feed model 70 in 7mm-08 and let him turn it into 338 Federal. I usually don't have to think this hard....I just do it!

"just sounded better" thats where I'm at on 3 vs 4 vs 5 groove rifling and I'm still scratching my head.

Am I crazy for taking a 308 with an almost new barrel that shoots 1/2MOA and then rebore it to something else.
    Yep, Your crazy.
    I would never change anything on a rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA on a regular basis.

I'll defend your decision to rebore the 308 to 338 Fed...because that's what you want.

If it's a bench rest gun punching paper the 1/2" group does nothing for you in the field unless you want to do head shots at 600 yds. I've alway looked at 2 MOA as good enough for a hunting gun to 400 or maybe 500 yds. But....bragging rights are always good too and a tight shooter will decrease error in the field!!

Rebore and hope for a 338 Fed that shoots as good as my Tikka...about 1 1/2" with my selected load...that's what I call good enough to hunt with.

Lowrider, if it's all the same to you I will save your "2" is good enough" for the "rifle" I love that I can't get to shoot any better than that .... In today's world there is no good reason for not handloading a rifle to shoot to it's greatest potential, otherwise why even handload (except for money's sake of course) ? Personally I want to be able to blame ME and not the gun when I miss !
    That 338 Federal has been intriguing me since the first time I saw any information about it since I LOVE 338 size holes ! and with the choices of pills available it may be even more versatile than that 308 ! (for game anyways) what a "nice" thought ... a 5lb 4oz 338 Kimber Montana !!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Since JES is doing the reboring and offering the different options why not give him a call and ask for his opinion? Since he does it for a living he should know more than any of us.
    Snowwolfe, I took your advise and gave JES a call. In the end we decided to use the Ultra Grade Winchester with it's control round feed in a short action platform and JES won me over so it will be a 358 Winny.....

It was calm 32 degrees today so I had a long shooting session with the mauser 308. In the end I shot 3-5 shot groups. 1 group with 110 grain soft points, 1 group with 150 grain BTSPs and a group with 168 grainers. All three groups were less than 3/4 of an inch in size, with the 150s being dead on at 100, while the other two groups were perfectly inline with the bull only one printed an inch and a half high of center and the other an inch low. Basically I could carry varmint ammo on a elk hunt and empty the magazine of the 168 grainers and slide in some 110s and expect to hit a coyote without having to mess with the scope......now that I've made a case for the rifle in regards to it's flexibility with different weight ammo......in reality I would carry one ammo and kill that coyote with a 168 grainer but just saying............

I think you've made a good choice. Although a 308 Winchester is a dandy round, the 358 Winchester is hard to beat. I've had a good time developing heavy 308 Loads (200 grain), but it doesn't substitute for a 250 grain bullet that the 358 Winchester is capable of.

I personnally don't have an educated opinion. But this is from the 6mmBR website.

What Is the Best Number of Grooves? Barrel-makers report that, as long as the ratio of lands to grooves is relatively constant, there is no demonstrable difference in accuracy among 3-,4-,5-,6- and 8-groove barrel designs. Krieger has told us "There isn't any advantage to the shooter. Assuming the ratio of the surface area is kept the same, the number of grooves should not have any effect. Barrel makers use different numbers of grooves for ease of manufacturing and ... marketing hype." That said, in our experience, 8-groove barrels are a little slower, and may foul a bit more quickly because there are more edges to cut into the bullet's jacket and to trap powder residue. We see no reason not to specify a 4-groove barrel if that is your preference. Moreover, IBS Hunter Champion Al Nyhus and others have had great success with Lilja 3-groove barrels. Al believes the 3-groove design cleans up more quickly and yields a bit more velocity. Famed gunsmith and wildcatter P.O. Ackley believed that, all things considered, a properly-made 3-groove barrel is optimal for most common calibers. Ackley believed 3-groove profiles can deliver higher velocities with less fouling and no significant reduction in accuracy. In the months ahead, 6mmBR.com plans to do a comparison test of various barrel formats.

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    I personnally don't have an educated opinion. But this is from the 6mmBR website.

What Is the Best Number of Grooves? Barrel-makers report that, as long as the ratio of lands to grooves is relatively constant, there is no demonstrable difference in accuracy among 3-,4-,5-,6- and 8-groove barrel designs. Krieger has told us "There isn't any advantage to the shooter. Assuming the ratio of the surface area is kept the same, the number of grooves should not have any effect. Barrel makers use different numbers of grooves for ease of manufacturing and ... marketing hype." That said, in our experience, 8-groove barrels are a little slower, and may foul a bit more quickly because there are more edges to cut into the bullet's jacket and to trap powder residue. We see no reason not to specify a 4-groove barrel if that is your preference. Moreover, IBS Hunter Champion Al Nyhus and others have had great success with Lilja 3-groove barrels. Al believes the 3-groove design cleans up more quickly and yields a bit more velocity. Famed gunsmith and wildcatter P.O. Ackley believed that, all things considered, a properly-made 3-groove barrel is optimal for most common calibers. Ackley believed 3-groove profiles can deliver higher velocities with less fouling and no significant reduction in accuracy. In the months ahead, 6mmBR.com plans to do a comparison test of various barrel formats.
    That is some good to know info right there! Jes recommended 3 groove for my 358 project and thats what we are going with....the gun was shipped this morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast