Thread: Jon Boat - Trim Tabs....any experience?

Default Jon Boat - Trim Tabs....any experience?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with trim tabs on their jet powered jon?

I've looked some like the Bennet Trim Tabs, but don't know if that'll just be something else to bang on the rocks... What I'm interested in, is it helping keep my aft end higher in the water when slowing down, which could be a big plus when I get in the narrow, shallow areas and am trying to watch for and dodge obstacles at less than ramming speed.

I'm running an 1860 jon w/ 90/65 jet. It planes pretty fast even with a load, but I get that big sink in the back when taking off and it's even worse when coming off plane.

Any experience would be helpful on this one.

Thanks,
    AK_BigO

AKBigO,
    My boat is a full-weld, heavy-duty 20' Marion sled with only a 48" or 54" beam. I was always sitting low in the back, and had smashed up the linkage and reverse cup on the jet more than I like to admit.So, last Spring, I had Gary at greatland welding (matsu valley) install a full-width hard tab. He designed it, and it is about 10" deep with four support struts and a cut-out for the jet's foot. It's hard to quantify, but I know I'm riding higher in the water. Didn't touch bottom last summer on the Deshka (mouth to weir), Alexander Creek (mouth to mile 5), or Little Su (launch to 2nd slide hole). For me, that's **** good. Course, last summer was a bit wet... Anyway, I don't know if you'd experience similar benefits, especially at lower speeds (starting/stopping), and I would avoid adjustable trim tabs, but I know tabs can be effective.

--sean
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

This looked pretty interesting and is supposed to add a lot of floatation - http://www.fisherbeavertail.com/floa...podsintro.html
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I don't think trim tabs are going to help what you've described. The best way to reduce the transom drop is to distribute your load further forward. The problem is as much that the bow is high as the transom is low. Hold the bow down. If you take a GPS and experiment with forward loads you may be surprised to find out you're faster, too. At least that's how it works in my boat.

Take a couple of buddies out and have them move fore and aft and see how it changes your draft on take-off and when running on the step but slow.

Haven't you ever been loaded so heavy you couldn't quite get on the step? What do you do? I tell my passengers to move to the front. Sometimes the extreme front. It works.

X2 what Pid said!!!

Default Jon Boat Trim Tabs

I put the bennets on my G3 1860 90/65 yamaha. When running light i just could not slow down without the bow too high, as well as when coming out of the hole. So far, it has been a great improvement. I put them on late last season and am looking forward to this summer on upper Yentna streams. They do, indeed, allow slower speeds on plane. That 90/65 4 stroke is a lot of weight back there.

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the replies and the info. I'll try the least permanent fix's first (weight forward). If that doesn't cure it, I may try one of the other ideas from here.

AKfangler,
    I'd be interested in seeing pics of what you had welded on to yours.

Mr Pid,
    That was my last project of the fall, adding and moving fuel tanks to the front. Re-routing fuel lines etc. I plan on adding some rod/gun box's up front as well and moving my front to seats farther forward. Thanks.

AKMud,
    I've looked at those before. I'm afraid of how they would work great with an O/B jet, (enough room for motor to turn sharp). I've read reviews of them affecting streering also, which would really be bad with a flat bottom, seeing as you already have to slide all the corners.

Hunt-n-Fish,
    I'm interested in hearing how you like those trim tabs later on this summer. I still haven't ruled out that idea.

Counting the days til break-up and open rivers!!!

AK_BigO