Thread: boat floor what to use pros vs cons

Default boat floor what to use pros vs cons

I have a wooldridge alaskan II and the marine plywood floor is 12 years old and has the factory rubber covering and is in good shape but when i pulled the floor last year it was SUPER heavy ( water in it).

I like the sound dampening of the wood, but think about diamond plate, and have looked at the composite that is light and has good sound dampening but is not as tough as diamond plate...

i don't know what to do but i think my current floor weighs 250-325 pounds or more and would like to do something..

what does everyone think?

Cabingoer,
    Use the search function, there was a long thread a couple years back regarding all the pros and cons of different materials/coatings for boat flooring.
    BK

Only thing i can add is that 3/4 plywood covered with fiberglass mat on both sides weighs in at 2lbs a square foot so that gives you some numbers to work with. If it were me i'd think about plywood covered with pickup bed liner, you can get the stuff at walmart and DIY.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

a 4' x 8' x .125" sheet of 5052 aluminum is 56lbs and $160.00 a sheet online (#s rounded up).

4' x 8' x 1/2" marine plywood 40lbs and $68.00 a sheet online.

4' x 8' x 3/4" marine plywood 60lbs and $95.00 a sheet online.

In a previous boat I used 1/2" marine plywood and coated both sides with epoxy spar varnish. I threw in a couple of handfuls of sandblast grit for traction. It never seemed to gain weight and lasted for years.

My current boat needs the flooring refinished. Iím not sure what they used to coat the wooden floors in my boat. Looks like glued on floor covering or rubberized fabric, but itís tearing off in strips. I like the idea of using the rubber truck bed coating but Iím not sure how well that adheres to the wood.

I was quoted a little over $1,000 to replace it with diamond plate. Thatís outside of my budget so Iím going the spar varnish and a couple handfuls of sand again.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    a 4' x 8' x .125" sheet of 5052 aluminum is 56lbs and $160.00 a sheet online (#s rounded up).

4' x 8' x 1/2" marine plywood 40lbs and $68.00 a sheet online.

4' x 8' x 3/4" marine plywood 60lbs and $95.00 a sheet online.
    Where are you seeing the marine ply online ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Where are you seeing the marine ply online ?
    I just Googled " marine plywood " and selected a source randomly. I will try to find it again and link it .

EDIT: well, interestingly I cannot find the source I quoted $ and lbs from but, there are many to choose from otherwise.

I just Googled " marine plywood " and selected a source randomly. I will try to find it again and link it .

EDIT: well, interestingly I cannot find the source I quoted $ and lbs from but, there are many to choose from otherwise.
    I'd bet shipping a few sheets would be quite expensive!! I only need a couple of sheets for my project so i'm going to look for the old standby AC fir plywood glass sticks good to it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I'd bet shipping a few sheets would be quite expensive!! I only need a couple of sheets for my project so i'm going to look for the old standby AC fir plywood glass sticks good to it.
    I am sure it would be, that is why I clarified "online", a local source would be more economical, certainly. Have you tried SBS ?

Have you guys ever heard of Daytona Board?. Its a plastic/wood composite that I have
    used to replace all the exterior plywood on my boat. Its a little heavier than plywood
    but will last forever and as a bonus it is fire resistant. It will melt but will not burn
    It is not cheap but again will outlast anything else. 1/2" sheet is about $175.00

I am sure it would be, that is why I clarified "online", a local source would be more economical, certainly. Have you tried SBS ?
    I'm working on it as we speak, one of my customers manages one of the stores.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I would call Glen at Wooldridge and see what could be done . Those guys seem to really stand behind there products. I'm not saying try to get it replaced for free but they might have some good ideas for you .
    Give them a call , they don't bite.

if you go aluminum, it's going to be quite a bit louder...anything that gets dropped, set, or slid across is going to make noise & some of it loud...being as you dont have a flush deck, watertightness isn't a big goal. shouldn't take but 3-4 sheets to do an alaskan II i know i'd just go plywood or marine ply....the composite stuff sounds good to..

You might want to go with Diamond plate and just use large floor mats you can get at Home Depoe or Costco. I used that mats on my charter boat for 7 years and it made it real nice for cleaning! Or just get a new boat, I tried the floor is bad and I need a new boat with the wife, but it didn't work for me but give it a try!

Best of luck, and good fishing!

Default Strongwell's Fiberglass Gritted Safeplate

Check out the Strongwell company's web page via a Google search, and drill down to the plating product called Safeplate. It can be purchased in sheet thicknesses starting at 1/8" and is covered in an almost wear resistant gritted surface. It is being used as a safe walking surface on top of a North Slope drilling rig currently surviving in -40įF temperatures. I can't say whether or not it can be purchased outside the oil industry in Alaska, but it sure looks like what you would need.

Kootfish

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    You might want to go with Diamond plate and just use large floor mats you can get at Home Depoe or Costco. I used that mats on my charter boat for 7 years and it made it real nice for cleaning! Or just get a new boat, I tried the floor is bad and I need a new boat with the wife, but it didn't work for me but give it a try!

Best of luck, and good fishing!
    I use em too. They really deaden the aluminum noise while giving good traction and easy cleaning. Heck, I'd use them on wood.