Thread: Props on the Kenia River

Default Props on the Kenia River

Down in Juneau for the annual AOC meeting and heard a rumor that some may want to keep an eye on. I heard the Cook Inlet Driftnet Association is pay $10K for a lobbyist to push for restricting the use of props on the Kenia. Something to do with it causing too much erosion. I don't fish there or use a boat on the Kenia but if anyone does it maybe something to keep an eye on and fight against if and when it comes up. I don't see 50hp outboard jets working too well.

If props become restricted then the Max. HP rating will need to increase, it will become the "35Hp is too little" argument all over. I wonder if anyone gave any though to it before presenting such... if indeed it did happen. Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

Appears it may not be just a rumor. Check out the post under fisheries management.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...s-your-opinion

I don't see this as a prop vs jet issue, it is a power boat vs drift boat issue. A boat with a jet on it will put out a wake just like a boat with a prop, or am I missing something?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I don't see this as a prop vs jet issue, it is a power boat vs drift boat issue. A boat with a jet on it will put out a wake just like a boat with a prop, or am I missing something?
    You could be right about the intent of the proposal, but... The difference I could see between a prop and a jet is that with one of each at the max HP (50), you will get more power out of the prop leading to more speed/boat wake/etc... They may be targeting props knowing this and hoping the max HP remains the same, thus resulting in less power making it to the water with jets.

Why would the " Cook Inlet Driftnet Association" care what size motor is o the Kenai?
    50 HP jet would push most boats fine, just have less weight in the boat.
    Guides could take out 2 clients, instead of 4 to 6 & not go as fast. They used to do it with 35 hp props.

Also the HP rating is a game played by the manufacturers, now the 50 HP rating is at the prop, (it was at the power head) soon the 50 HP rating will be at the jet unit,

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Why would the " Cook Inlet Driftnet Association" care what size motor is o the Kenai?
    50 HP jet would push most boats fine, just have less weight in the boat.
    Guides could take out 2 clients, instead of 4 to 6 & not go as fast. They used to do it with 35 hp props.

Also the HP rating is a game played by the manufacturers, now the 50 HP rating is at the prop, (it was at the power head) soon the 50 HP rating will be at the jet unit,
    I imagine the Drifters would like to see sportfisherman have to fish out of a driftboat for a number of reasons. Less kings harvested in their spawning grounds and habitat protection would probably be the main concerns.

That would relate to more fish for them. I understand why they are asking for it.

Wasn't part of going to 50's was so the boats could go faster, Plane higher, thus causing smaller wakes? I know there was other reasons but this seems to be one of the things that stood out in my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_logan View Post
    Wasn't part of going to 50's was so the boats could go faster, Plane higher, thus causing smaller wakes? I know there was other reasons but this seems to be one of the things that stood out in my memory.
    It was the reason, I don't know why people are trying to twist it into a jet vs prop debate.