Thread: Honda big red

Default Honda big red

Has anyone used the Honda Big Red. I am looking at purchasing one but would like to know if anybody has used this ATV. I am partial to Honda, based on the Foreman I own.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

The big red was a 80's 3 wheeler 250cc. Easy to flip easy to get hurt on I know I did it a few times, teaches you to slow down. More a toy than a tool, because they pull wheelies so easy you can't really tow with them, and they don't do side hills well.

They are certainly not as stable a 4 wheeler but have some real attributes. Run virtually forever and light weight. I would like a 200 ATC because I can basically toss it into my boat. 2 of the 185s may even be better for me. Pretty much all of the ATC's are easy to flip over backwards and you really have to move your weight forward on steeper hills. The good news is that as long as you are ready and jump clear they will usually still be running when they finally roll to the bottom of the hill. A set of nerf bars is a good idea since it is easy to instinctively put your feet down if it starts tipping and then run your legs over. I had honda 110 tire rash on my calves often growing up!

I believe the OP is talking about their current 4 wheeled version.

Wet eNuf - thanks for the clarification, I was just about to comment about my 3-wheeler experience.
    LuJon, I'm with you on the tire rash, I loved that machine
    Mkay - sorry, no comment yet on the UTV. I'm sure it won't be long until a forum member puts one through it's paces
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

yeah, I also forgot that honda recycled the name for their UTV. Personally the ones I have seen looked more aimed at the Gator/Mule/Kubota market share than the Ranger/Prowler/Rhino.

Check this out Mmmmmm'kay if you are talking about the 3 wheeler- http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Big-Red/page2
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I looked long and hard at the Big Red before I bought a machine last year.

I ultimately decided against it...just too big, too wide, too heavy and too expensive. I liked the three seat version and I'm sure that Honda engineering did its job and its one of the better UTVs out there. But given its ground clearance, width and substantial weight I imagine getting one stuck would be very easy to do and hard to undo. On hard pack trails it is likely a great tool/ work rig.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hodgeman,

I sorta came to the same conclusion. I am going to keep on using my Polaris 700 twin this year but I'm really torn between a pair of smaller machines (400's) for my wife and I or a UTV...there are advantages to both for sure. My wife is probably going to lean to the UTV since she'd rather be a passenger than a driver and the idea of a cab and heat may push her over that way.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I didn't know honda was making MUV using the same name. I'm sure he was talking about the new one I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Hodgeman,

I sorta came to the same conclusion. I am going to keep on using my Polaris 700 twin this year but I'm really torn between a pair of smaller machines (400's) for my wife and I or a UTV...there are advantages to both for sure. My wife is probably going to lean to the UTV since she'd rather be a passenger than a driver and the idea of a cab and heat may push her over that way.
    I ended up with a Can Am "max" - basically a conventional ATV with a longer wheelbase to accommodate 2-up seating. Couldn't be happier. The rear seat comes off and a cargo box can go in its place to give a single rider more deck area for gear. The longer wheelbase makes climbing steep stuff a little more sure footed as well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit