Thread: Lowrance HDS chartplotter

Default Lowrance HDS chartplotter

Those of you that own and those of you that have considered owning a Lowrance HDS-? (whatever model), you might be interested in an opportunity.

When I found my HDS-5 audible alarm didn't work, I contacted Lowrance about the repair cost. (I didn't catch the problem while the unit was under warranty.) I learned Lowrance has fielded a 2nd generation of their HDS models, and as such, the original models are being offered at a reduced cost, remanufactured, and with a 1 year warranty.

After getting a return authorization for getting mine repaired, I changed my mind because I found the reman HDS-5 was available at Cabelas for only $499 + shipping. Compared to the $399 + shipping for getting my old one repaired, I only had to pay a total of $90 more to buy a reman from Cabelas. I'm excited because this will give me a second chartplotter on my boat. I'm also shopping for a good deal on an LGC-4000 external antenna to improve my GPS reception, and I'll connect it to my NMEA 2000 network so both HDS-5's can use it. (Everything I've read says sharing the antenna will work.)

This dual setup will be cool because I'm often zooming in on my chartplotter to make sure I don't miss seeing underwater rocks or reefs as I'm zipping across the water and then zooming out occasionally to check my heading on distant destinations. With the new setup, I can leave one plotter zoomed out while the other plotter is zoomed in. Then when I'm trolling, I can simultaneously use my Garmin and my older HDS-5 for fish finding. I have them configured slightly differently.

Pretty excited about the flexibility and additional redundancy this will offer me, but this reduced cost on remanufactured HDS units (the other models are offered in reman too), may be just the opportunity some of you have been waiting for to buy a plotter/depth-finder combo.

Seems like a good deal, are you using Lowrance's base map only? Or have you purchased Navionics?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I purchased the Navionics at the same time that I bought my first HDS-5, and it was well worth the money.

I've been amazed by some of the details shown in small bays or coves, and small rocks or other hazards were shown. I realize every hazard isn't charted, but it sure kept me away from some that I wouldn't have known were there unless I bumped them. And I don't like bumping things with my hull!

Hunt, I bought the same unit and know of a few others on here and in Kodiak that have the HDS-5. Its been better than what I expected.

jtm9, that's why I'm getting greedy and buying a second one now. Wouldn't have done it if my alarm hadn't worked, but I need the alarm to work for anchoring in windy weather. Using the depth alarm on my Garmin isn't enough if I'm anchoring in an area with pretty constant depth. Then I need my Lowrance to chime in when I move off the mark.

It's fun when a bad thing turns into a good thing!

I know a few HDS-5 owners too, and with everyone being happy, I figure this better price deal on refurbished units would be a great opportunity for anyone looking to get into a chart plotter.

I have the HDS-7 and love it. I have started the NEMA 2000 network with fuel flow and plan to add Radar, and other engine instruments.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/