Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: anyone doing any good lately in the anchorage area

  1. #1
    Member click's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    usaf
    Posts
    127

    Default anyone doing any good lately in the anchorage area

    Has anyone been doing any good in the anchorage area or on base the last couple weeks. I was doing ok then started trying a few lakes on base the last couple weeks with nothing to show for it. I was just wondering if it was me or the weather.

  2. #2

    Default

    I only caught two when i went to clunie. You can catch lil ones all day at sand lake. Good to take lil kids if u got em

  3. #3
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poarch0 View Post
    I only caught two when i went to clunie. You can catch lil ones all day at sand lake. Good to take lil kids if u got em
    I've been fishing my normal spots and the fishing definitely slowed down during the cold spell. With this weather front hitting us, things should improve.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  4. #4
    Member click's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    usaf
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I'm hoping the same thing. With all the snow we are getting right now it's not gonna make it any easier to drag the sled around on foot this weekend. But the only thing i'll catch on the couch is a buzz.

  5. #5
    Member Ryan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Not too bad on South side lakes. 17" Dolly along with 15 little bows and dollys!
    Attachment 56986

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I am new to Anchorage and I went out to University lake. It was a tough trip to try to get where I could drop a line. No fish. The ice was about 18" with about 6" of slush on top and (before today's snow) about 12" of snow on top of that which I am sure "sunk" the ice and caused the slush. I am not use to that kind of trekking and it is my guess I needed snowshoes at the least! Any places in the Anchorage area with less top snow and slush?

    Went out to Finger and Stephan (spelling) in the valley area and got skunked. Finger had 24" of ice everywhere we drilled with little snow on it and Stephen lake had about 15" with a good blanket of snow covering it.

    Any ideas where to take my kids for ice fishing where they can catch some fish at this time and is not to much of a struggle for us to get out since the youngest is 6?

  7. #7
    Member click's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    usaf
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I don't know if it's easier or not but sand lake has been producing good numbers of fish from what I here. I haven't been there in a few weeks but we always seem to catch a few fish there when we do go. May be just the ticket for you to get your kids out on the ice and catch a few. The walk in from the school side is fairly short, and perty easy.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5fishhunt View Post
    I am new to Anchorage and I went out to University lake. It was a tough trip to try to get where I could drop a line. No fish. The ice was about 18" with about 6" of slush on top and (before today's snow) about 12" of snow on top of that which I am sure "sunk" the ice and caused the slush. I am not use to that kind of trekking and it is my guess I needed snowshoes at the least! Any places in the Anchorage area with less top snow and slush?

    Went out to Finger and Stephan (spelling) in the valley area and got skunked. Finger had 24" of ice everywhere we drilled with little snow on it and Stephen lake had about 15" with a good blanket of snow covering it.

    Any ideas where to take my kids for ice fishing where they can catch some fish at this time and is not to much of a struggle for us to get out since the youngest is 6?
    I take my wife and kid out to sand lake. My sons turns 3 next month. U have to walk bout 70 yds if u use 80th ave. for me i fish 12"-15" u can catch 6"-12" till bout 1pm or so. ive caught 2 that might have went 16"-17". But ive been there bout 5 times.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    big lake ak
    Posts
    342

    Default

    sand lake has always been good to me. take a sled and walk on the south side of the school, there is a nice little hill that my boys like to sled if the fishing gets slow. i like the spots in front of the canal and by the little slue by the bike path. use a croc w clear prizm tape. good luck.

  10. #10
    Member joefish00000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    510

    Default

    what happend to beer can lake!? over the winter break it was producing large brood stock char. what happend? the last few times i fished there we caught nothing....
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

  11. #11
    Member click's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    usaf
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I tried beer can a few weeks ago and only caught 3 little black fish about 5 inches long. somebody rally trashed the we picked up all kinds of trash off the ice.

  12. #12
    Member joefish00000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    510

    Default

    thats lame. im assuming that it had a buch of char in it and it just got hammered when the word got out...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

  13. #13

    Default

    I used to fish Beer Can all the time. My house is nearby. I was disappointed to see a lot of people out there in the summer with buckets keeping everything that would bite. Not good for conservation!!! I went out last year with my young boys and got skunked for the first time EVER ! I guess little planter bows go good with rice...their final demise LOL
    Pick A Spot

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikthestik View Post
    I used to fish Beer Can all the time. My house is nearby. I was disappointed to see a lot of people out there in the summer with buckets keeping everything that would bite. Not good for conservation!!! I went out last year with my young boys and got skunked for the first time EVER ! I guess little planter bows go good with rice...their final demise LOL
    its disappointing to hear that

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    big lake ak
    Posts
    342

    Default

    i went 2 years ago in the spring and watched people filling their buckets. saw the same thing at cambell creek park by taco bell. they were ripping rotten kings with a snagging treble.

  16. #16
    Member joefish00000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    510

    Default

    thats horrible! ive spent countless hours last summer riding my bike down to camble creek and fishhing for silvers...
    ive seen some rediculous law infriengments over the hears. you would think that since its urban that wouldnt be as big of a problem... i guess not
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

  17. #17

    Default

    Same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago. 2 blackfish and a bunch of garbage.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •