Thread: Ice?

Question Ice?

This is my first year in alaska and ice fishing. It's been a lil warm lately lol. I know its still safe to go out on the ice right now, but im getting nervous as the days get warmer. About what time of the year do yall stop? The last time i went out to sand lake it was 30"+. Just need some reassurance haha

Dude-
    We'll keep fishing to April. Relax and enjoy the hard water.

Haha thx gotta remember its called hard water

No doubt. The ice is the last to go. There will still be ice on the lakes when the first sprouts of spring grass start popping up through the break-up mud.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have to extend my auger handle almost all the way and its still almost pushing snow when I'm cranking it before I great through on smaller lakes. I think most folks fish through march or april... even in may 15 the ice is just starting to go out cause I always have problems finding open water to trap muskrats.....warm weather doesn't do crap to the ice. your fine.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Lol thx for all the info. I was trying to find info on the ice but all i found was a pic showing what the ice could hold at dif thickness.

When the ice goes out in the Spring, it will open at shore first. The way to check the quality of the ice is to clear the snow down to the ice near the shore (about 5-10 yards out) and look at the clarity of the ice. If it is clear, dark ice, it is good to go. Weak ice is an opaque white color. The top of the ice goes bad first, so you may have to punch a "test" hole to get through the top few inches. If the underlying ice is clear and of good thickness, then don't worry about some overflow or warm weathering of the top bit. All you need is 6 inches of the good clear stuff to be safe. Right now you'd be hard pressed to find ice thinner than 2-3 feet thick.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I alway take a sharp axe with me, and whip the snow away every so often and whack it as hard as i can and if it seems tough enough I continue on. if water starts seeping through i back off a little and take a different path. I was out on big lake a few weeks ago and fishing by a warm spring (very obvious, at least the ones a have seen.....pretty rare too...) and i walked to shore, hitting my axe on the ice and I hit it about 10 yards from shore and 70 yards from the base of the warm spring and the axe head went all the way through....about 6 inches in front of my foot......i practically died
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Last May we went down to Quartz Lake when the ice was going out to get those big rainbows. It was quite a scene, as you'd expect, but some Russian guy walked across some boards on top of the water to get to the ice and was ice fishing near the edge while were 20' away on shore. (He got skunked)