Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Registration Sheep hunt with Trophy Destruction

Default Registration Sheep hunt with Trophy Destruction

2 of my favorite areas to hunt, unit 21 and 22 both have registration hunts with trophy destruction of horns/antlers. The TD is at least partially used to effect the number of hunters who participate in the hunt. Unit 21 (and 24) have Reg. hunt w/TD for moose and in 22 it is Musk Ox.
    I see the debate over the future of sheep hunting is still alive and well in the Game Management section. Worry that more units/sub units that are now harvest ticket hunts open to all will go to a draw is still in evidence. So I'm wondering how many of you "true hunters" would support and participate in a sheep hunt in an area that went registration with some level of trophy destruction...........horn cutting and F&G keeps the cut off part.
    As I see it, a sheep hunt with TD, even if open to non res, would just about guarantee no non res would participate. Probably few guides there as well.

To qualify my question...........very unlikely this could ever happen............sheep are managed as a sport species and few areas of Alaska have any "Customary and Traditional" finding for sheep. So the draw hunt is the usual scenario used by ADF&G to limit hunter numbers.
    So chime in with your thoughts.
    Remember.............most of you guys hunt for the meat anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I would do it 100%, for me its more about getting out and hiking the mountains anyways and the meat in the freezer is a WAY nice bonus. I haven't seen my sheep horns in 6 months now (yes at the taxi) but if I didn't see them again it sure wouldn't hurt my feelings at all even if it is my first sheep.

Sure they are cool to look at on the wall, but I really don't have much space in my house anyways, so I say chop 'em up.

I oppose any trophy destruction. I personally consider state ordered destruction or seizure of part of a legally taken animal to be little more than wanton waste. Horns, hides and meat all have value to the hunter, regardless of whether it is eaten, made into handy craft or put on a wall.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I concur with Milo. However if I had the chance to hunt a TD area I would do it just for the pictures and meat, horns would be a bonus though.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I oppose any trophy destruction. I personally consider state ordered destruction or seizure of part of a legally taken animal to be little more than wanton waste. Horns, hides and meat all have value to the hunter, regardless of whether it is eaten, made into handy craft or put on a wall.
    Spot on. Trophy destruction is a way for ADF&G to discriminate without saying "we're being discriminatory";
    total copout BS. Kinda like someone who uses the term "N-Word";
    they get away with it while putting the real word in your head.
    Sorry if that don't make sense, it's a Louis C.K. bit, not mine
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    2 of my favorite areas to hunt, unit 21 and 22 both have registration hunts with trophy destruction of horns/antlers. The TD is at least partially used to effect the number of hunters who participate in the hunt. Unit 21 (and 24) have Reg. hunt w/TD for moose and in 22 it is Musk Ox.
    I see the debate over the future of sheep hunting is still alive and well in the Game Management section. Worry that more units/sub units that are now harvest ticket hunts open to all will go to a draw is still in evidence. So I'm wondering how many of you "true hunters" would support and participate in a sheep hunt in an area that went registration with some level of trophy destruction...........horn cutting and F&G keeps the cut off part.
    As I see it, a sheep hunt with TD, even if open to non res, would just about guarantee no non res would participate. Probably few guides there as well.

To qualify my question...........very unlikely this could ever happen............sheep are managed as a sport species and few areas of Alaska have any "Customary and Traditional" finding for sheep. So the draw hunt is the usual scenario used by ADF&G to limit hunter numbers.
    So chime in with your thoughts.
    Remember.............most of you guys hunt for the meat anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you know, i just found out too late that there is a legal route AROUND the ox cutting.. loop hole perse'... and winnable in court... HOW do i know??? well the AG office said so... and ADFG provides the form to do it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I get Sheep when I bump into Sheep,................ though I dont deliberatly hunt them, I do register each year.

Toss the heads where you kill 'em, leave nothing to destroy

Up with some details, Vince??.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you know, i just found out too late that there is a legal route AROUND the ox cutting.. loop hole perse'... and winnable in court... HOW do i know??? well the AG office said so... and ADFG provides the form to do it.
    Well let's see it, Vince!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Well let's see it, Vince!
    Now NOW Mike... that would be cheating... but some of you guys are on the right track with the discrimination clause... and an understanding of the LEGAL Language... is in order..

be just like me giving you my secret moose hole...LOL
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The horns from my last ram are sitting on my bedroom floor partially covered by a pile of clothes and off their bases. I'll probably get them mounted or otherwise display them someday, but I can say with absolute honesty that it is the memory of the experience that I treasure from that hunt. I'd cringe if I had to destroy the horns from a ram, but if that's what it took to ensure the opportunity to hunt sheep on a yearly basis, I'd take it in a heartbeat instead of going to a statewide draw. No question.

I am against horn and antler destuction the way it is currently carried out. There is no standard per species it is different in every unit that requires it and serves no purpose. If fish and game sticks to the destruction I think it should be done at the base of the horn/antler or the skull plate needs to be split that way one can still utilize the horn or antler for art work.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I have to agree with Milo plus it simply does not make sense. Most taxis can take a picture and recreate the trophy to look almost the same anyway. I've seen moose and ox recreations and without touching the horns you can't hardly tell the difference.

Trophy destruction, the way it is now, is discriminatory. For the areas that currently have this in place, Fish and feathers kind of picks and chooses who they check and who destroys them.
    Case in point being, weíve hunted the koyuku a few times and have numerous friends that have hunted this area all most every year for the last 10 or more. Sometimes we have drawn tags and others not and when we donít the antlers have been cut, no big deal because we go for the adventure and meat. Tags are a bonus. Two years ago me and the wife both drew the tag and decided to fly in to one of the upper villages and be dropped off in an area away from most people.
    While riding around with our transporter in the village we noticed a very large number of moose antlers laying around most cabins, 99% not cut. There was one particular set that caught my eye and I asked him if we could stop so I could have a look. This set was very impressive, in the high 60ís / low 70ís with huge paddles and 8x7 brows. It looked like it had set out side only a year or two so I asked the obvious questions, who, what, where, when and how. The individual said it was killed the previous year by his cousin during this same hunt on a REGISTER TAG like most of the others I saw laying around. He said they would use them for carvings to sell some day. I did ask if they were required to destroy the trophy value like weíd have to do if we didnít have a draw tag and his answer was shocking to say the least.
    He stated that they have their own local individual that they get their tags from, the same person I checked in with that gave me the third degree, and they donít care about what the locals do. I did asked if F&G ever visit and he said yes but they never ask questions about the antlers they are usually checking the hunters going out with the guide or assistant guides that work for him.
    I do agree that the trophy destruction deters a lot of individuals in certain areas and I donít mind having to cut/turn over or what have you to fish and game. I just wish they would make it equal across the board for every individual. Just my penies worth.

TD sounds like wanton waste to me ,If you do not want the whole animal don't kill it. That is as wrong as 2 boys screwen .Maybe some people think it's right but not me. Just my 2 cents.

I think that if ADFG lets you harvest an animal no matter the species; you should be able to keep the whole thing. If they do not want you to have horns or antlers intacted, then they should let the animal live. If they are managing an area it should not be with the thought that you can shoot the animal but have to destroy the antlers or horns. Lets just look at the 50 inch; 4 brow law. Why have that in these areas or close to them. Lets just cut them all. As everyone says just my two cents.

I like the trophy destruction. It limits the hunters that arent after the meat. That is the purpose of those hunts: meat. I sure hate to get the horns I get snipped, but I knew it going into the hunt. And I got what I REALLY wanted: the meat. I put in for the ox tags, so I can get my "trophy" tag. Haven't gotten drawn yet, but hopefully I will. But I support the TD.

Plus, and example is the ox up here, once the hunt goes a little sideways on harvest/managment...its back to Tier 2. And then not only to the people not living here NOT get to hunt...but they also don't get the meat. I'd think the opportunity to hunt a cool animal, get some pictures (and in the ox case, a nice hide) and a nice freezer full of meat would be enough. Guess not.

Annnnnnnnnd in closing: If I had one thing I could do/change on it all. I'd make non of them Registration with TD, i'd make all the available permits go to Draw for trophy hunting, and I'd put the limit on the "getting it again" like they do with Bison.

Oh, to answer the OP: I wouldn't go. Cost to go is expensive, and the meat isn't enough to justify it. If I lived there, and the cost wasn't so bad, then i would.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Participating in a registration hunt is voluntary. Whatever conditions apply to that hunt apply to anyone who participates. There is no discrimination. If there are differences in enforcement of the conditions, that is an enforcement issue.
    TD is just one method the Dept. uses to deter, not discrimiate, hunters from participating.
    Many of you go down to the Koyukuk for moose each year. That hunt is open to all res. Would you prefer they did not have TD and it possibly NOT be open to all res., or different conditions were put on the hunt to deter hunters? That Koy. hunt could have been done with a quota and mandatory reporting times.
    Many sheep hunters have complained about non res take of sheep. Many have also complained about too many guides. Reg. hunt with TD would, I believe, eliminate most all non res and guides.
    You sheep hunters are probably never gonna get your cake and be able to eat it too!!

I would participate in a heart beat ! If horns or antlers are that important to someone they can pay a taxidermist for a replica . Any sheep or sheep hunt is a trophy my book anyway.

Wonton waste is wasting Meat, not hide , Antler, nor Horn.

Like MT said, its about Meat, in Alaska, and most out of state guys are not hunting for the same reasons most Alaskans do although theres always some exceptions, for sure.

Ya can't eat horns, and wacking them up aint so bad, you can make cool **** outta them
    Im making more powder horns today, between boat building bouts.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Well if that is what it took to hunt sheep,I'd still be humping the hills every fall but it would be hard to swallow.I guess I would finally get a horn carved for once.

So stranger do they cut the horn and give it back on the ox?What about the sheep or moose,do they saw it in half,or cut the skull plate?Just curious want to hunt a moose spot one day if I get lucky enough to draw,but don't see myself paying the coin for some chopped up horns,there is freezer filler much closer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast