Thread: KODIAK Bullets 45-70 350 gr

Default KODIAK Bullets 45-70 350 gr

I was in Alaska back in 2001 and i purchased a box of Kodiak 45-70 350 gr .458 dia flat point bullets -they are about .300 thou across the flat point - they have no crimp groove or cannelure - anyone use this bullets ?? - I have a 1895g 45-70 rifle - what are your loads etc ? experiances with shooting game etc - please share your info ! - Cheers Jim
    BIG BULLETS 525 gr VERY DEAD BEARS - 45-70 is the HAMMER OF THOR !

I don't use the Kodiak loaded 350 gr. in 458 with the flat nose but I do cast and load my own version for use in the Marlin 1895's, they are devastating on deer and black bear you can push them at about 2K fps as long as they are hard cast, lubricated well and gas checked. All of my Marlin rifles have Ballard rifling so leading isn't an issue if it ever was with micro groove rifling.

The Kodiak is a great bullet and they are very tough. I haven't taken any game with the 350, as I used to shoot their 405, but it always shot well and held together great. I used them on deer, hogs, and brown bear. Be careful loading them, the heavy jacket version will come up to pressure faster than a standard jacketed bullet. I find it odd that yours don't have a cannelure, I've never seen the 45-70 labeled ones without. In that case I would reccomend either a cannelure tool or at least a lee factory crimp die, otherwise the bullets could push down in the cases, resulting in overpressure and or feeding problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA JIM View Post
    I was in Alaska back in 2001 and i purchased a box of Kodiak 45-70 350 gr .458 dia flat point bullets -they are about .300 thou across the flat point - they have no crimp groove or cannelure - anyone use this bullets ?? - I have a 1895g 45-70 rifle - what are your loads etc ? experiances with shooting game etc - please share your info ! - Cheers Jim
    Surprised that more 45-70 guys have not answered ! Bubba Jim
    BIG BULLETS 525 gr VERY DEAD BEARS - 45-70 is the HAMMER OF THOR !

They are great bullets. I load them with Swift A-frame data and that is about right for their construction. They can be ordered with or without cannelures, I guess you found some without. In a lever gun for the 45-70 it would be much better to have the crimp groove but you might get by without it if you use new brass with a slightly smaller expander ball. Or just load them lighter as recoil will seat the bullet deeper without a good crimp. A taper crimp die may work but a roll crimp really needs a crimp groove to hold.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?