Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion On Remington 375 Ultra Mag

Default Opinion On Remington 375 Ultra Mag

I am wanting to buy a LSS or XCR in 375 RUM and was wondering what your opinions are on the rifle and caliber? I know the ammo is more exspensive and harder to come by than a H&H but I want the extra punch. And a flatter shooting cartridge. Thanks for you input.

What do you want to shoot with it?

Probably a bit bigger than N.America requires....but hey, if it floats your boat it'll knock down about anything.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have the 700 XCR in 375 H&H and love it. Where are you planning to hunt with it? I also have the 300 Ultra Mag and it will handle anything here in AK, why not take a look at it. Great shooting rifle!

I agree with bowhunter. I have the 300 ultra and have loaded anywhere fron 150 grain upto 250 grain bullets that I took to africa a few times and koncked down everything. If you are talking about Alaska then I always have 180 grain barnes and have shot everything we have up here with it, including brown bears and have never had a problem knocking them over.

I have a 375 H&H xcr 11 - i purposely never bought it in a 375 rum because a rum kicks like a mule +++ ! yes it does ou tperform a h&h but it is not needed ! Recoil is quite a bit milder with a h&h -the h&h with good loads 270-300 gr swift a frame or nosler partiitons will kill dam near anything ! JMHO Jim
    BIG BULLETS 525 gr VERY DEAD BEARS - 45-70 is the HAMMER OF THOR !

I have two 375 AI and a 375 RUM, sold my 378 Wby.....the 375 RUM is my preferred of the bunch!.....It's awesome and yup it kicks like a mule! don't over look the 338 RUM!

Ok, here is my opinion in the form of a one word question ; Why ?

You are going to get a lot of differant opinions on this sight, good and bad so I throw mine in there. If you like the gun/caliber,if you can handle the recoil(it will kick badly),and shoot it well by all means hunt with it I just looked up the ballistics and it looks like a good flat shooting round. I use a 416 weatherby as a back up and also hunt with it and I have yet to say when something goes wrong: man I wish I had a smaller gun.
    Dave

I say buy it, if your not happy with it sell it.... Why not try it I wish I could shoot one just to see how bad the recoil is....

I have a 375 RUM and it is by far my favorite. I have an aftermarket muzzle break and a limbsaver recoil pad, my 30.06 kicks harder. I re-load my own and can get an extremely tight grouping at 200 yards with only a few inch drop at 300, its awesome! It is overkill as far as power but I'd rather have a cannon and never use it then needing one and not having it. This year I used Barnes TTSX 250 grain for caribou and had zero wasted meat (except 1/2 a rib). Before everybody sounds off about my cannon comment I used a 22-250 and 30-06 for years, I know about shot placement.

I also have the .375 RUM, among my pile of guns, and that's my preferred all around weapon. I have the aftermarket muzzle break, packmar decellerator, and it's anything but a mule kick. I'd say mine is around a .338 kick. I can put about 15 rounds at the range through it without using any padding before I need a break. This spring my goal is to research how small a bullet I can shoot through this thing and try to dial it in at long range. I'm not a gun expert or loading guy, but am willing to learn.

If I'm going in after wounded bears, I pack a .458 Ruger Tropical with .510's. Open sites and weighs about 12 pounds!

If I'm going after sheep, it's the .270 WSM Weatherby.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I shot over 3000 lbs of animals with mine the first season I had it. Never felt any recoil.
    I tried a muzzle break and cut it off, shortened the barrel to 23" and like it even better - not at the range, but hunting where it matters.

Shortstuf,
    If you buy one, send me a pm and I'll tell you where you may be able to get cheap 375rum ammo in Wisconsin. It's a ways from Laona, but everything is
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by BUBBA JIM View Post
    I have a 375 H&H xcr 11 - i purposely never bought it in a 375 rum because a rum kicks like a mule +++ ! yes it does ou tperform a h&h but it is not needed ! Recoil is quite a bit milder with a h&h -the h&h with good loads 270-300 gr swift a frame or nosler partiitons will kill dam near anything ! JMHO Jim
    THAT's NOT A RUMOR :-) I have the 700 LSS .375 ultra-mag and it kicks like a frieght train, but it hammers on both ends. I just picked it up at Wild West from having a brake installed on it.
    I did not like the factory ammo choices for the round and I do not reload, but I was able to find some resonabilly priced custom Ammo from Alan at precise rifle ammo.
    Alan is building me some ammo with Barnes TTSX 250 grain bullets for my Brown Bear hunt, can't wait to try them and my new break out. I have Alans contact info if you are intrested.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuf View Post
    I am wanting to buy a LSS or XCR in 375 RUM
    My cousin has one of the original XCRs. It kicks like a mule. It's too light to shoot without a muzzle break for most people. I consider muzzle breaks a (insert colorful phrase) disaster!!! I'm of the oppinion people need less gun not more muzzle break..... There's really nothing that needs a .375 RUM in North America and I'm having a hard time believing it's doing that much more for anyone than a .375 H&H or Ruger. I mean how flat do you need a 300 grain .375 calibre bullet to shoot? Retiring your sheep rifle? Anything that NEEDS a .375 probably has no business being shot at over 200 yards and in that case what does an extra 100, 200, or 300fps mater at less than 200 yards? It seems like sharp/violent recoil for the sake of having the biggest fast gun on the block. Not much practicality.

Brett

PS. That said I have an interest in .50 and .60 calibre rifles which recoil fiercely and are of questionable necesity. If you like it do it. If you're looking for PRACTICAL advice on the .375 RUM look above.

Thinking about this caliber, which is not a big seller, and the current management at Remington would worry me. As profit oriented as the financial group is proving to be, it is not hard to imagine them cutting back on poor selling calibers. That means both rifles and ammunition. It might not happen but is a possibility that needs to be considered before purchasing an unusual caliber.

I am also one of the people that thinks that if you need a muzzle break to handle the recoil, you really need less rifle.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have a 300 rum and love it but I want a 375rum ,Why I do not know.My buudie has one and I used it to shoot a black bear off my moose I was quartering b/c my 300 was leaning against a tree beside the bear. It picked up the bear fliped it over in the air and droped it dead on the ground at 10 yards.I looked at my unarmed buddie behind me and said wow.

I have a LSS 375 ultra mag, and I don't think the recoil is all that terrible, athough I am in the minority here on that. I don't think it's all that much worse than a 338 win mag.The only "tough" part is the benchtime to sight it in. Once in the field, few will even remember the recoil. Is this caliber overkill? Perhaps yes. Are we Americans who can buy whatever we want? Hell yes!

boliep, you bring up an interesting point about Remington. But even if they were to drop ammo sales, there should be plenty of 375 RUM brass to go around, and 375 bullets will certainly always be around. But I have bought probably 10 boxes of factory ammo here at a local gander mountain and the most I have paid in the last two years is $45/per box, 300 gr A-frames.

And a note to one of you in Wasilla, I'm still waiting on that $250 you owe me for those 5 boxes delivered!! (don't pretend like you arent reading this thread (grin)

Dead is dead! no such thing as over-kill, that’s a term used by folks who don’t like recoil!

If you’re going to hunt brown bears, there is on substitution for horse power! Further more, the bullets used are far more important then headstamps!

Bill Pinell told me back the early 80’s “ A good man with a large rifle, is better than a good man with a small rifle, only thing is, I haven’t seen too many good men with a large rifle”….thinking maybe he knew what he saw talking about…..grin

These kind of discussions go on every day on these sites, “why would you use a big gun, it’s over-kill”, “light rifles vs standard weight rifles”, “scopes or open-sights” crome-moly vs S.S”…etc.

If you like/want a 375 RUM, buy it….if you don’t need it or don't like recoil, go smaller!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    If you like/want a 375 RUM, buy it….if you don’t need it or don't like recoil, go smaller!
    Agreed, I should point out I'm 6'3 260 lbs. I don't notice the kick, but I would not let my wife shoot it. Not because she can't, I just don't want to hear the whine for the next two weeks.

With today’s bullets, you can go smaller with, bore dia, bullet weight, and horse powder, thus less recoil and still kill large tuff animals such as brown bears very affectivity, with good shot placement of course!

I’m very confident killing the biggest brown bear with a 30-06 with 180-200 “X” bullets, but I just feel a little better packing a big bore, I just like them 375’s…person thingy I guess and recoil don’t bother me a bit, and I don’t have a brake on any of my rifle, other than my 50 BMG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast