Thread: Seward boat works?

Default Seward boat works?

Since the weather is starting to warm up now... , I want to start doing some stuff to get my ocean rig ready. So far for all my work I have done all the work myself, but was wanting to do a little more this year to get her ready and was wondering if anyone wanted to share some experiences or recommendations of folks in Seward that do some decent work. What I am looking to do this year is;

1. I want to have my hull sanded and then I'll repaint it.
    2. Repack my shafts and rudders (I have never done this before, many say it's easy but am wondering if I just go for it and do it myself or if someone can recommend anyone, maybe I'll watch the first time.)

Thanks for any tips you can offer. Spring is almost near.
    Tony

Tony,

I take it you have straight or v-drive inboards. Replacing the packing on the drive shaft is fairly easy but question why you'd do it on the rudder shaft. I never did my rudder shafts with one of my inboards having over 15 years on it so if it's not leaking, leave it alone. Changing the shaft packing is easy though with the right pick to get the old packing out (there's a special one for this available at most chandleries). You need to measure the space between the shaft and shaft log to get the right sized packing as they come in different thicknesses. After that, it's cutting three sections to replace the old. Wrap the packing around your shaft to get it cut exactly right end to end. Rotate each section 120 degrees off the previous one so the cuts don't overlap, then tighten up gradually until you get about 7 drips per minute and you're good to go.

I boat out of Seward but do all my own work so really can't offer a recommendation for your bottom work, though heard good things about Storm Chasers. If you're having the bottom prepped by the shop, that's the hard part. Once it's on blocks and prepped, painting isn't much more work so you might have them do both. Or do it yourself. I use a drywall sanding pad with the 80 or 100 grit open mesh sand paper and work it wet. This eliminates any problems with dust. Pressure wash first though, and spraying with Clorox will kill the slime and make it easier to get it off with the pressure washer. After that, the sanding is pretty easy as long as you're using an ablative paint and putting the same stuff back on, you don't really need much sanding. If the old paint needs to be completeyly removed, that's another story and may be better suited for a shop like you're thinking.

Good luck and hope we're out fishing again before too long.

Thanks fish witch,
    yeah, I have straight shafts and that's what I have read. I do everything else and think I should be able to take care of it. As for the rudders I know one does leak and figured I should take care of it. My bildges work fine but I think they run more than they should, I think anyway. My rudder shafts are clearly water stained so I'll take a look while it's out.

And the bottom, it's on a trailer when out and I've never painted the entire bottom off the trailer so I figured if it's off the trailer and on blocks I'll just do it right and go all he way down and start over. And thanks for the tip with storm chasers.
    Tony

Might talk to Dave Phillips with Raibow fiberglass. He did my bottom paint last fall and I've heard good things about his work. PH#821-8015

What kind of boat do you have? What size, and where is it located? Sounds like a twin motor glass boat, but just want to be sure. If it is in Seward, I heard about a guy doing good bottom paint work last summer there with good results and a good price. I can dig up the details if this is where your boat is.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

jrogers, what do you call a good price?

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    What kind of boat do you have? What size, and where is it located? Sounds like a twin motor glass boat, but just want to be sure. If it is in Seward, I heard about a guy doing good bottom paint work last summer there with good results and a good price. I can dig up the details if this is where your boat is.
    Jrogers,
    You got it, twin screw glass, 31' Uniflite cruiser with F/bridge and yes its in Seward. Thx.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    jrogers, what do you call a good price?
    I emailed my friend who had told me about his good experience, and here is what I got back:

We used Sailing Inc in Seward. They did a great job. I can’t for the life of my recall what they charged, though. It seemed reasonable. Randy (one of the owners) did the work. Was quick too…done in a couple days with multiple coats. Their number is 224-3160
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded