Thread: NOME.... The Bearing Sea for Gold???????

Default NOME.... The Bearing Sea for Gold???????

After watching the T.V. show, "The Bearing Sea Gold", do these sea miners have claims out in the ocean or is it a free for all? I saw some pretty cheesey boats set up to sluice the ocean. Most of these pontoon boats looked really busy with stuff every where. I also see they seem to dredge about a 3 wood away from shore. Is it that easy? Can you stake a claim in the ocean floor?

I almost fell over when I saw 46 ounces

I saw that show also, gold prospectors association of america had done shows about running dredges off the shore at Nome before. Didn't know they where getting gold like that, 46oz some pay day.

The big boat with the backhoe on it was like a 1/4 mile out to sea when they did there test pan. Of course a picker was in the pan. I do not think any Captain would go out in the ocean with no propulsion and no steering. Unless your on T.V. The Captain said he has had no pay check since Halloween. 46 ounces in front of the harbor, Hhmmm? Can someone answer please.......Is it a free for all when ocean bottom dredging? Can one stake a claim of ocean water bottom?? Is there a honor code to stay out of a buoy marked box or triangle?

A new episode will show in about 45 minutes, lol.

For those of you that think this is cheap, that exvator is around $200,000.00, the barge is at least $50,000 and getting them to Nome is priceless, lol. I don't know how much the T.V. show pays them but not your everyday person could do this.

On a side note I don't think you can claim anything from the 50' high water mark, but I could be wrong on this.

dont think anyone was underestimating the expense put into the find.

just amazed at the 46 oz haul is all.

this weeks was even better. they are on route to millions

Twenty+ years ago I had a friend who would go to Nome in the summer, camp out on the beach, look for gold all day and get drunk all night. He usually made about what I made fish processing and had a lot more fun.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

So, 0 feet to 50 feet CAN be claimed ocean bottom? Beach claims go how far out?

Most places in Alaska you can't claim anything from the highwater mark on any given stream. Now the Ocean I'm not to sure about.

( and should point out that you can not cross a claim to get to a said stream.)

I don't really think that you can claim part of the beach, but you might want to check with the land management to make sure.

Here is the basic rules for mining on state lands in AK.

See page 21 for discussion of offshore stuff.

From my quick read through I would think that one or two large companies have filed claims over thousands of acres, and then allow these folks to lease a portion of them for a share of the gold recovered.

The weather was terrible the first week of december and leaving the project I was working on for the season was proving difficult. I managed to get into Kotz just in time to make the last flight out that particular night and found out the almost full flight was routed thru Nome and would be full from there to Anch. Timing is everything and I had just heard someone mention the new show in passing. Well here comes this rough looking character and he sits in the empty seat beside me. We start chatting and turns out it is Steve the owner of the big outfit with the excavator. We talk a bit and I get filled in on the show and he tells me his history and some history of the mining around Nome.

He said they didn't have as good a year as they could have because every time they got on a roll the weather came up and shut them down. I asked how much he thought the editors were going to hype the show and he felt they wouldn't overdo it. With no tv I've only managed to catch one episode so I don't know how they're doing with it all. He did mention that he wanted to have a claim on land to work next year for when the crew was shut down due to weather on the water. Interesting guy to say the least.

I was just on DNR web site to make land payments and noticed they have come up with a packet of info they will email to you on how to mine gold in the nome area. This is due to the huge amount of interest this show has generated. They said there are no open claims and no more auctions for quite a few years, but they had set up another recreational area.

Lots of info on this on the Alaska mining and diving forums.
    Basically anything within @ 1/4 mile of the beach is considered within the tide zone and is under claim.
    Most of the rest of the area is under lease from the state.
    There are two (maybe 3 now) public areas an east one and a west one. I would guess these areas are pretty crowded and probably have been hammered pretty hard.
    For more info go to the forums on Alaska mining and divings website. Some of the guy there are actual ocean dredgers.
    Roust-A-Bout lure company
    Handcrafted fishing lures made right here in Alaska!
    Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com