Thread: Hunt Planning for Sooty Grouse

Default Hunt Planning for Sooty Grouse

Hey gang, planning isn't just for the big game guys. I'm considering a trip this spring to somewhere in Southeast that has Sooty Grouse. From what I've read on this forum in past years, it sounds like it's an uphill hunt and that snowshoes are recommended. I've never seen a Sooty Grouse and never laid eyes on any of the SE landscape. Can anyone give me (us as a forum) a better picture of what it might take to put together a DIY trip to SE to chase hooters? Is it feasible to bring gear and just pack it up a mountain for a couple days. As of now, if this progresses successfully, it will be another forum member and I. I'm slow moving but I think we would give it at least a full weekend and possibly some weekdays on either side. Timing would probably be sometime in the last two weeks of the season (May 1-May 15). I want to see the landscape, see the birds, hopefully chew on one in camp, and if EVERYTHING works out, save up to make this the first specimen for my Upland Heaven Seven taxidermy idea.

Also, if we wanted to make this a multi-species trip, what's the likelihood of finding bears (either species) on foot from any of the major towns?

Let's talk!

Prairie Guy
    Go Big Red!

You can find sooties in the mountains around Juneau. ADF&G can give more accurate scoop. They'll be hooting in the spring, and that's how folks hunt them down that way.

It sounds like a neat way to hunt a game bird. Kind of "cheating" by just closing in on their calls during the mating season. I don't know why I feel poorly about targeting a bird that way when it's the same process as many big game pursuits. Love struck often equates to a full freezer.

I'm all wound up to get somewhere new and see a creature with such an isolated range in country I can't even fathom sitting here at my desk. Whew, animals and the places they take you!
    Go Big Red!

Pow doesn't have hooters as far as I know, nor zarembo for some odd reason. Instead they have isilTed populations of spruce grouse. Wrangell, pburg, Juneau have easy access off the road system. A lot depends on how much snow is out on the logging roads. Some years you can drive your truck out and listen. Last year had to snowmobile out and then snowshoe after them.

Have fun! There should be black bears out by then. It depends on the snow etc. but even still they should be out. If you are hunting an area that DOESN'T have brown bears (some islands don't) try a predator call. Deer come running too. Don't forget your camera! Have fun there Prairie Guy!!!

I've thought about doing this trip many times myself. I will sooner than later! There has to be other methods of hunting them, then just sitting and listening for them. What do they do other times of the year? Guys hunt themn with dogs in other states, why not here?
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans