Thread: Timing for Southeast bears in Spring

Default Timing for Southeast bears in Spring

I'm considering a trip to Southeast this spring to target Sooty Grouse. I'm trying to decide on the duration of the trip and if other critters are out by then, may extend my stay. It would be a DIY trip hiking and walking and camping and making friends. If anyone can provide hints on the timing of critters that direction, I'm just looking for general information and will target specific folks as the trip nears for more detailed information. I see the Black Bear general season goes until June 30 but not sure how active they are the first half of May when I would be there for the birds. Also, a registration Brown Bear hunt goes until May 31 so I'm guessing those bears will be awake and on the move. I hope I'm not being too naive but this is an opportunity to see a new landscape and this is my first investigation into what it will take to be safe and enjoy the trip.

Thanks for any assistance/advice you might be willing to provide.
    Go Big Red!

We don't have Sootys, we have Blues.

First half of May is prime time for both Blues and Blacks. What part of S.E. are you considering?

I'm the only guy that I know of that can call Hooters out of a tree top with my horny hen cluck during the peak of the rut.

Location is up in the air now so we are willing to hear any arguments for or against a specific destination. Our flight will be from Anchorage to any of the hubs that direction but as of today, we aren't committed to any one place.

Your calling must be seductive! Could you record it and forward me the sound file? Maybe you can quit your job and patent the call!! The market for grouse love tones has to be hot right now.
    Go Big Red!

Quote Originally Posted by PG13 View Post
    Location is up in the air now so we are willing to hear any arguments for or against a specific destination. Our flight will be from Anchorage to any of the hubs that direction but as of today, we aren't committed to any one place.

Your calling must be seductive! Could you record it and forward me the sound file? Maybe you can quit your job and patent the call!! The market for grouse love tones has to be hot right now.
    L.G. I'd like to hear your call too!

You figure out were your going to hunt? Me and a buddy are thinking down south east haines area maybe.

Haines is a great place and you will see lots of wonderfull country.Bring you climing legs with ya as its constant mountains and watch for shale slides and stay off of them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Haines is a great place for spring bear. best little sport shop in southeast IMO. The folks there would be of much help to you as well. They gave us directions to a cool little grayling lake. like a fish on every other cast---flyrod with bead head leech. Oh yeah and we saw a ton of grouse up on that mountain. LG--my buddy can do the horny hen cluck too...its soo effective!!

Maybe a dumb question but whats the name of the Sports store there in Haines or is it the only one in town?

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    LG--my buddy can do the horny hen cluck too...its soo effective!!
    When I got my game on and the timings right (last week to 10 days of the season) I can call 'em out of the tree, onto the ground and then they'll strut and display right up to me. I've never let 'em hump my leg tho . . .

you the man lg.--- hoyt, there is the outfitter /c store sporting goods store---ok, but not as nice as the alaska sport shop"everything you need for your outdoor adventure" 420 main street haines, AK 907 766 2441. I wish we had something of this calibur in juneau. You walk in the store and say, Wow, this is an alaskan sporting goods store. I was up there a few weeks for work and was really impressed. Also get a hold of the forest circus,I mean service and pick their brains for info/maps before hand---knowledge is everything when in new country.

Jesse

The last cubs should be born by tommrow so in about eight weeks the sows will be comming out and the boars starting in about six weeks.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well Amigo if thats true it should work out real good for us haha.

When in Haines visit the Bald Eagle center. Dave Olerud who built it also owns the Alaska Sports Shop and finer folks you will never meet.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    You figure out were your going to hunt?
    I got ahead of myself and assumed our free flight offer through ERA would service Southeast. (Guess that shows how new I am). I am still super jacked about the trip but I might have to table it for another year or two. I'll be watching for this thread (or a new one) showing the results of your trip. If I can still find a way to do it, I'll certainly take the advice of the locals that have chimed in and hit either 1) Haines or 2) Juneau unless someone else has more dependable info for elsewhere.
    Go Big Red!

Good Luck when you do get to go PG also like to think you for posting this thread i learnd alot from it. Thanks to everyone else too

Kind of an interesting read. When I went after BBs out of Petersburg we were told, and went at the end of May/Beginning of June. I thought it would be too late, but I harvested a dandy of a bear with a prime hide. Talking to a few of teh guides down that way, they prefer that time as well as all bears will be out (so you see lots) and the hides will usually still be prime. Again, I thought it was a bit late to go...but proof was in the end product.

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I can call 'em out of the tree, onto the ground and then they'll strut and display right up to me. I've never let 'em hump my leg tho . . .
    How bout postin a soundbite? I've been postholin around but havent heard any hoots yet. Sunshine better show up soon...