Thread: Can you get an FFL

Default Can you get an FFL

Thinking of doing the application to get an FFL. Can an ordinary guy get one these days?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yep. I still deal with couple guys that operate out of their homes, including hunt_ak. Two of the guys have gotten their FFL's in the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Yep. I still deal with couple guys that operate out of their homes, including hunt_ak. Two of the guys have gotten their FFL's in the last two years.
    Not sure I trust hunt_ak, he's a shady looking little fellow...

you can obtain an FFL for the purpose of selling firearms for "a profit" but not for your "personal" use - Might I suggest that you go for an FFL to manufacture ammuntion for resale ? It's looked at the same by all wholesalers or at least it was when I had mine - The one paramount thing to remember (and strictly adhere to) is record keeping, as long as you are ANAL about that and follow the guidelines you should be fine - If you will be "operating your business" from your home you will need to meet certain criteria but you should be able to get those questions succinctly answered by your nearest ATF field office and unless they have changed policy or things are different because it's Alaska, you will get a visit from most likely two agents for an onsite interview, they were cordial to me and treated me very well during the process ...

Don't forget Mega liability insurance if you start a business. Best to create a corporation or LLC and do it under the company and not personal. Then, remember IRS record keeping and so on....

In my opinion, unless you are going to make this a real business it is cheaper and easier to just shop sales and get your guns thru an established dealer. I have a home business and my operating expensese exceed $1K a month and I'm pretty cheap.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Thinking of doing the application to get an FFL. Can an ordinary guy get one these days?
    I had a FFL in the mid-late 80's. The price has gone up a lot since then. If you purchase wholesale you can transfer the firearm to yourself if you fill out the required forms. Some places (counties/cities) require that to operate a business you must have a storefront, a sign of a certain size, and it is not a residence. As previously stated, you need to be careful with your records and documentation..this is essential. I sold firearms out of my home back then. I only sold to people that were referred to me, not just to anyone with cash. I lost money every year. When I moved to another city to go to school the city/county laws would not let me sell out of my home so I turned in my FFL and have not had one since. So yeah, you can do it but it's a lot of work.
    MyTime

what Lowrider said is also very true and I would add that even though you establish even a "C corp" and get sued you will most certainly be taken "personally" as well so keep the liability factor in mind - also, if a firearm you acquire and transfer out is used in a crime and recovered the paperwork WILL lead back to you ....