4 6.90%
  • Nope, can't see why I need one.

26 44.83%
  • Have one I brought from outside.

4 6.90%
  • Occasionally use one, too many guns

24 41.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any fellow Alaskans have a use for a 270 win as a primary rifle?

Default Any fellow Alaskans have a use for a 270 win as a primary rifle?

Last Sunday while out at the range a friend of mine was tryig to sell a 270 Ruger M77MKII with a beautiful stock. The deal was very , very good as it included a Leupold scope.

However, while I own more than a few rifles in various calibers and cartridges,,, I have never owned a .270 Win.

30-06'''s yes,,,
    7x57mm yeap a couple
    6.5x55 more than a few..
    And a few big and medium bores....

I just could not get excited about a .270 for some reason...

Then I stated to think about it,,,,,I really have not seen too many long time Alaskans who use 270s. At least in the old days....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

With modern bullets I can't see why one wouldn't be fine for a general purpose rifle and nearly ideal for caribou and sheep. More than one moose and bear have fallen to the .270 as well. Not my cup of tea for griz but folks have shot those too with it.

I do have one aquaintance that only shoots the .270...he's a pretty firm believer in it with a great track record on game.

Don't know why they weren't more popular in the ye olde days but I strongly suspect economics had something to do with it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I think the original popularity of the .270 Winchester in 1925, was a result of nice bullets and fairly zippy velocity when fired from the Model 54win and later M-70win. Both being better than a Springfield and the original loadings for the 270 were snappy compared to the older 30-06 loads with round nose bullets.
    But, when the pressure standard and bullet selection for the 30-06 was improved.... Only Jack O'Conner pumping kept the boat inflated.

My son has a Ruger MkII stainless/laminate .270 and he loves it. It's stupid accurate (we got a good one) and dependable. It's a fantastic cartridge for everything from moose on down. I don't think my son even knows who Jack O'Conner is...

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    But, when the pressure standard and bullet selection for the 30-06 was improved.... Only Jack O'Conner pumping kept the boat inflated.
    I agree...Jack O'Connor spilling a tanker of ink in several magazines over decades on the virtues of the .270 certainly helped it tremedously. For a long while though- .270 ammo was considerably more expensive than '06 ammo due to the large influence of outright surplus ammo or commercial ammo loaded with surplus components (all ammo makers had gov't contracts back then). I think O'Connor even wrote a piece once about the price differences between the two. These days there's really no difference.

I really can't imagine in the hands of the average hunter you could really do any more with one vs. the other.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My older brother shoots the .270 I would probably have one if it wasn't the factor that my 06 was better.He did have me on all total kills for a few years!Then i finally got my drivers license,no need to hang out with that guy anymore,I sure do owe it to him for makeing me and jake hike alot faster/farther.But I did move on from the 06 but my bro keeps adding to his list from that ugly old .270

Im thinking when my daughter gets old enough, her first will be a #1 in .270

Never liked Jack so never shot a 270 or even took one in trade.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd say the .270 is an excellent rifle for the majority of Alaskan game: deer, sheep, blackies, caribou, wolves. If these make up your primary animals hunted each year than the .270 is a good rifle choice. If your primary game every year is moose and grizzly then I would say the .270 wouldn't fit as your primary Alaskan rifle.

Most of the older hunters I have hunted with use the 7mm rem. However their kids used the .270 and 15 years later those kids turned adults still use the .270 as their primary rifle. To tell you the truth on a moose (and definately caribou) they seem to do better than my .338 when the .338 was loaded with premium bullets.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Mine is a CZ, and I love it. I've killed moose and caribou with it. All one shot kills, and a couple at pretty fair distances (over 300 yards). I'd absolutely use it for black bears, and if I get drawn for sheep this year it is the gun I'll take. I can't think of a single thing not to like about the 270, and I'll probably get one for my younger son in a few years.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I haven't used my .270 in a few years. I bought it down in Georgia and every deer I shot with that thing using CoreLokt kept right on running. I guess that kind of made me "gun shy" about using it up here on larger game since Georgia deer are on the small side. Two does I shot at about 80yds I hit right behind the shoulder took off forever.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

The 270 is just a necked down 30-06 case. My brother was given a 270 and has used it quite well as a big game rifle. We have a ton of 30-06 brass just laying around, so he ran a few through the 270 sizing die and shoots them just fine. He shoots 150gr Barnes TSX down the tube and has taken several moose and caribou with it one shot. It wouldn't be my first choice as an all around gun, but for anything smaller than moose, it will knock them down easy enough.

Default Like my .270..... sometimes....

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    The 270 is just a necked down 30-06 case.
    I find it likely that is the exact reason why the .270 shoots flatter than the ought 6. Also agree that moose and larger are just about the point where a person could use more caliber. Though I did down a moose with a .270 once, I now wish that then I did have my present, larger caliber.

For big game smaller than a moose, the .270 remains my favorite round; I like it way better than the ought 6, and the 7 mm mag (also a very flat shooter) is just too much for me to enjoy, and it spoils more meat.

The 270 is a very good caliber. If you do not have a 30-06, you certainly should have a 270.

As with any caliber, if you place your shot properly, the game stays right there.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

The 270 is a stone killer when stoked with good bullets. I've watched my Dad and Uncle down many elk with their 270s, heck Uncle has a half pint of ivories from the elk he's taken over the years, all but 3 with the old 270. Some would argue that elk are tougher than moose, don't know as I've yet to tag a moose, but I do know elk are tough critters. I also know that a 150 Partition through the pump station will turn them off in short order. Never had any penetration problems I've seen using the 150 Nosler, several quartering bulls still had exits after several feet of penetration. Shy away from cheap light bullets though, the 270 is capable of pushing the velocity threshold for the cheap C&C stuff when using 130s and lighter. Uncle swore off 130 CoreLokts years back, saying he wasn't fond of the volleyball sized exits on deer, when they exited, and the general jello effect when they didn't. Dad has had great luck with both the 150Nosler and 130 Grandslam, while the Uncle shoots strictly 150NPTs.

As others have said, it may be on the light side for Moose and definatly brownbear, but with good bullets I doubt you would be the first person to take one of the above with it. I built one for my Girlfriend for Christmas, reasoning that it kicks less than the 06, won't have need for any holdover at the ranges she'll shoot, and if we see a Grizzly for her to shoot I'll be there to lend a helping hand, though she likely won't need it using 150 TSXs.

If it's a good deal I would jump on it, heck shoot it a while and if you don't like it rebarrel, or sell. It won't cost much to get one shooting, I think I paid 10$ for dies at a gunshow and have bought several boxes of bullets for 5-15$ at shows. Seems like nobody wants any of the stuff up here for the most part, and it can be had cheap.

I shoot 140 gr. Accubonds in mine and haven't recovered a bullet yet.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

If you examine the ballistics for the 06 and the 270, I believe you find that out the muzzle, and for about 100-200 yds. the 06 has more energy. As you get out beyond 200 or there abouts, the 270 surpasses the 06. The 277 bullets have a higher BC and retain energy down range, better than the 06.
    Quality bullets in the 140 range should be reliable killers on about anything.

But none of the above means a guy needs a 270 if he already has an 06.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

We have 4 of them, got rid of the 270 wsm... had to many loading issues. kids all love the .270, i can load it light or heavy for them.. my oldest daughter shoots lefty so she has the .06,

.270 and .308 are favorites around here then the .300 win's and weatherby's
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    !Then i finally got my drivers license,no need to hang out with that guy anymore,I sure do owe it to him for makeing me and jake hike alot faster/farther.But I did move on from the 06 but my bro keeps adding to his list from that ugly old .270

Im thinking when my daughter gets old enough, her first will be a #1 in .270
    hahaha aint that the truth! we had our own transportation then...no more havin to put up with him.....those were the days man, remember $10-$15 in gas would get us just about anywhere we wanted to go in that lil ol 4 banger!

back to the topic: the .270 is a great rifle, with a lot of great rounds to choose from.....i have not hunted much with a .270 but have seen them perform flawlessly on a variety of big and medium sized game....however, i cut my teeth on the 06, and that is what ill stick with likely the rest of my hunting career....though i would like to get some kills with my .300wm......just to get Kotton to shut up about it

Release Lake Trout

If you examine the ballistics for the 06 and the 270, I believe you find that out the muzzle, and for about 100-200 yds. the 06 has more energy. As you get out beyond 200 or there abouts, the 270 surpasses the 06. The 277 bullets have a higher BC and retain energy down range, better than the 06.

I guess it depends on the bullet.
    A 140 grain Nosler Accubond in .277 caliber has a B.C. of .496
    A 165 grain Nosler Accubond in 308 caliber has a BC of .475

From my buddy's M-70 feather-weight 270win with a 22 inch barrel we get the 140 AB going 2,940 fps.

From my M700 titanium 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel I push a 165 grain AB at 2,850 fps.

At 500 yards the 270 is going 2,075 fps and holds 1,339 foot pounds of paper energy.

At 500 yards the 30-06 powered 165 grain bullet is still going 1,962 fps with 1,411 pounds of energy.

Both are within 3 inches of each other at 500 yards,,,,,,

I just have a hard time getting all jazzed up about the 270. I like the 7x57mm Mauser and love the 6.5x55 Swede Mauser. And I put up with having multiple 30-06s...
    And I never knew anyone who had a .270 when I was growing up here in AK. Of course back then only the one well-to-do family in town had a 300 H&H. Everyone else had 30-30s, 300 Savage's, surplus 7x57mm Mausers ($19 from the back of a magazine) and 30-06 Springfields.

Maybe if it had been a Model 70 instead of a Ruger...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast