Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat Finish

Talking Duracoat Finish

Is anyone using or have used this finish on thier rifle? If so was it good or bad? Thought of doing something for my rifle which has a blued barrell and from time to time starts to get rust if not wiped down everyday in the field... Let me know what you guys think...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Is anyone using or have used this finish on thier rifle? If so was it good or bad? Thought of doing something for my rifle which has a blued barrell and from time to time starts to get rust if not wiped down everyday in the field... Let me know what you guys think...
    Thanks
    Do a search, Hunt_AK has several threads showing off many of the rifles he has done over the past few years. I have 2 done by him and they both turned out great.

I did a 45 tommy gun knock off in woodland digital camo with 3 different colors and it turned out great. It is very easy to airbrush on and is extremely durable. I would avoid a digital pattern like the plague as it was a huge pain in the rear. But i'm going to do my remington 870 sometime soon also. Its a good product.

my experiences have duracoat a less desirable product to ceracoat. not sure the chemical differences. however, i have had several rifles done with ceracoat and a few done with duracoat and i find the ceracoat to much more "durable." go figure...

I did a rifle w/scope and Benelli SBE (both with one bottle) for the rust reduction factors. Application is simple. It is a great product for what you are looking for but you still gotta be careful around rocks etc as they can still scratch it. Duracoat is less expensive than ceracoat but not near as durable.

I've done multiple rifles and handguns with it. The only issue I've had with it is on one of my AR's as the brass is ejected it hits the side of the receiver and has marked it up. Here are the best pieces of advice I can give you if your going to try it: Make sure you wear gloves, not latex. Follow the instructions that come with it, don't try to take any shortcuts. Don't do it on smooth surfaces. I use a sandblaster on everything before I duracoat. I would practice on a piece of metal you have laying around before doing a gun, that stuff doesn't like to come off if you make a mistake.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info, does this do a good job of protecting against rusting??? I just had a little problem this year after being rained on in the Brooks on a float hunt, so I saw this and thought it maybe a good deal for wet conditions.... Thanks again

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info, does this do a good job of protecting against rusting??? I just had a little problem this year after being rained on in the Brooks on a float hunt, so I saw this and thought it maybe a good deal for wet conditions.... Thanks again
    Yeah, it would work well for that application...

Quote Originally Posted by sdrhunter View Post
    my experiences have duracoat a less desirable product to ceracoat. not sure the chemical differences. however, i have had several rifles done with ceracoat and a few done with duracoat and i find the ceracoat to much more "durable." go figure...
    From what I know about the two, I believe ceracoat to be a bit more durable. That said, I think duracoat offers a more diverse line of coatings/options. I've been duracoating rifles for about 3 years now and so far, if applied correctly, it does VERY well and seems to be pretty darn good.

Anybody sell the Duracoat local ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Yeah, I think the outfit on the PW sells it (arctic ammo I think)...I think I saw that from another thread...

Anyone have pictures of thier rifle with this on it???

Anyone have pictures of thier rifle with this on it???
    Here's a thread you might wanna check out:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...racoat-Project

I did my win 70 about 2 years ago and have not had any problems with it so far. It is my Elk-Antelope gun. High altitude and wet wet wet. No rusting and easy to care for. It is just flat black and i did it in my garage. It was not hard to do and i did all the prep my self. I hope that that helps.

Since I was just interested in duracoat because I picked up an old 12 g for $50 need something done to it found this link
    http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...p?f=13&t=36000 going to try it what the heck it's only a $50 gun
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Since I was just interested in duracoat because I picked up an old 12 g for $50 need something done to it found this link
    http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum...p?f=13&t=36000 going to try it what the heck it's only a $50 gun
    Very, very nice....keep us updated on how yours turns out...

That gun painting link was pretty good.

As for Duracoat...I painted an 25 year old Mossberg shotgun barrel after cleaning it off and using a scratch pad to rough up the exterior. This was more of a test project for me and I used only one color. It turned out pretty well. I can't comment on durability since I don't regularly shoot that thing.
    MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    That shotgun was awesome. Almost a work of art.
    HuntAk...................you must of got some new ideas from that!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yeah, they claim you can't brush it on though...might have to experiment...

I know this thread is about duracoat but since we have gone over to other paint options...another option is the mossy oak graphics gun kits. I did an 870 with those sticker kits and it turned out great! I think it was something like $30 plus shipping. http://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/shot...n-kit-903.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast