Thread: Green Rocks Lodge: bear hunt - any experience? other ideas?

Question Green Rocks Lodge: bear hunt - any experience? other ideas?

Hi all.

I've got a buddy from back in WY who is looking to put together a do-it-yourself spring black bear hunt. He's giving some thought to staying at the Green Rocks Lodge on Kupreanof Island. Anyone have any experience with this place, whether for bear hunts, fishing or otherwise? (And please respect the forum policies - if you have a less than favorable opinion please keep it private and sent me a PM.)
    http://www.greenrockslodge.com/

I really haven't spent a great deal of time in Southeast, and haven't done any bear hunts down there, so I don't have a lot to report to him.

On that regard, anyone else have any lodges/camps for do-it-yourself black bears that you recommend in Southeast? Or heck, for that matter, even PWS area?

Thanks in advance.
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I'm from Petersburg and I grew up at Papke's Landing which is right across the Wrangell Narrows from Green Rocks. Let me tell you your buddy won't be dissapointed! Salmon fishing is phenomenal at Blind Slough which is right there by the lodge. For bear hunting, he can rent a skiff and just a 20 minute boat ride away is Duncan Canal which has some great black bear populations. The bear are especially easy to hunt in the spring by just cruising the beaches because at that time the bear are all feeding on beach grass as the awaken from there long slumber. If he's going in the Fall there are also a lot of salmon streams entering Duncan Canal that the bears frequent to catch salmon. Anytime he goes he's going to have a great time because in my opinion, if you can catch Southeast Alaska on a sunny day it's one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Also look into Rocky Point Lodge which is just across the water on Mitkof Island from Green Rocks. Offers all the same services and is accessible by road from Petersburg. I grew up with the owners grandson and am good friends with the owners and I can tell you they are great people and will do there best make all your dreams come true.

PM sent,nothing bad
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Much thanks for the input, SE2COLD. That's great to here and I'll definitely pass your thoughts on to my friend.

And thanks for the PM Amigo. Will consider and get back in touch with you.

If anyone else has thoughts/recommendations on places to go in Southeast for do-it-yourself blackies, I'd love to hear them. PM if you don't want the whole world to know.

Thanks all!
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.