Thread: Haul Road Bowhunting

Default Haul Road Bowhunting

I am new to the site and I don't expect anyone to give up there hot spot. I was thinking about trying to Bowhunt for Caribou along the Haul Road. I will take any information I can get. Is there a lot of Caribou, is it pretty crowded with hunters, what are my chances of finding Caribou? I will take any info I can get.

Use the search function. A book could easily be written from the info already available on this site

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

shoot me a PM and i will get you as much info as i can get for you. Got to look out for a fellow Iowan.

Heres some information from your profile and posts.
    From your profile we have I was wondering if someone could recommend a pilot out of Kotzebue , who could do a drop off Caribou hunt for 2 guys at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by iowahunter View Post
    I am new to this forum and just want to talk Alaska hunting and to meet new people. I am from Iowa and have been to Alaska 4 times, working as an assistant guide and a packer. I want to start hunting more for myself up there. I have been lucky enough to shoot a wolverine and a 6 ft Brown Bear. I would like to come up this fall and do some hunting of my own ,possibly black bear or caribou. Can anyone give me some tips on places to try for a do it yourself hunt?
    Congrats on your success.

I am looking to do it as cheap as possible. I can probably spend around $2000 once I get up there and will be splitting the cost of the hunt with a friend. gas , food etc.
    I am new to the site and I don't expect anyone to give up there hot spot. I was thinking about trying to Bowhunt for Caribou along the Haul Road. I will take any information I can get. Is there a lot of Caribou, is it pretty crowded with hunters, what are my chances of finding Caribou? I will take any info I can get.
    Thanks for expressing your honesty in finding hunts for those kind of prices. Personally, I doubt I would plan on taking less than $2000 bucks to go through Canada (from the lower 48 to Alaska) let alone spend less than $2000 on hunting when I arrived to Alaska. Others are able to take risks (that the tires won't blow, the transmission won't go out) and pinch their pennies. Let me rephrase that costs vary widely depending on what you lump into the $2000 hunting allowance. Expenses for lodging, Car rental, food while in towns adds up. How about camping items (tent, sleeping bag, gear, pack, weapon)?

For my moose hunting trip (10 days), I dont really have a budget but would probably spend $1000 just for last minute items, replacing broken gear, gas, food, lodging and that more or less assumes I have all the camping and hunting gear that I need.

Ive never been to the haul road and with that prefaced, would think you would have a pretty good chance of getting a caribou. However, success may vary depending on the time of the year. Up here, I think many people network and hear when the caribou herds are seen alongside or passing over the haul road. A few phone calls or reports are made and the animals may or may not still be there for the following waves of hunters. But the road is long. Perhaps there are sweet spots .. but finding them makes it a hunting experience.

For what its worth and trying to be helpful but youll likely find the information you are providing in your questions will dictate the answers.

One could use the search, do a little research and perhaps find some answers to your pressing questions. Alternatively, browse the other subforums. I thought Post #7 to be interesting and somewhat relating to your interests. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...04#post1073104

I have hunted there several times. I live in Michigan and was told about the caribou hunting and how good it was. Well lets start here. Ive hunted the Mountians of Idaho, Montana as well As Colorado in pursuit of big game. Ill take the mountian walking terrian over the Tundra any day. 1 mile of a tundra walk is equal to 3 miles of the steepest mountian terrain without a doubt. Anytime I have seen caribou within a mile of the road,guys either were hunting them all ready or my stalk got blow by folks that ran out there and started flinging arrows. Caribou are fickle creatures. I have never seen more then perhaps ten together at one time. Most times one or two. I have hunted the haul Road 4 times. Ive killed one bull it scored 318 a nice pope and young bull. Ive killed many elk bow hunting, alot of whitetails as well as mule deer. Dont let anyone tell you caribou are dumb. There is almost zero cover for stalking.If a caribou catches movement the gig is up. You must get ahead of them and hope for an ambush.If they are walking, your not going to catch up to them.I have hunted always in August at different times. Its always the same,you should have been here last week.The week after you left the caribou were yelling, take me, take me. Ive never seen that.
    You need to haul firewood with you.There is zero wood for a camp fire or cooking. It could be 60 above or 20 below.Alot of rain without a doubt.If you go any later the Aug. Prepare for snow,bring tire chains. Dont forget spare tires. I would say,you will find caribou.How many,the good Lord only knows. Hunting pressure without a doubt,however you will meet some great folks. The country will wear your as- out. But the country and the sights are beautiful and what many dreams are made of. The fishing is fantastic.! Lots of small game to hunt,which makes for some great eating. Here is what I would tell you from the heart. If you want a great Alaskan North Slope Adventure and consider it a bonus the harvest a caribou dont pass up the chance. If your hunt will not be satisfing to you unless you kill a caribou, stay home.,that will save you alot of disapointment. Thats as honest as I can be. Im planning to go this year In SEPT !!! I like yourself am asking alot of questions as well....BE Prepared..believe me, IVe been to your stae. This aint IOWA

Quote Originally Posted by QDM4SURE View Post
    I have hunted there several times. I live in Michigan and was told about the caribou hunting and how good it was. Well lets start here. Ive hunted the Mountians of Idaho, Montana as well As Colorado in pursuit of big game. Ill take the mountian walking terrian over the Tundra any day. 1 mile of a tundra walk is equal to 3 miles of the steepest mountian terrain without a doubt. Anytime I have seen caribou within a mile of the road,guys either were hunting them all ready or my stalk got blow by folks that ran out there and started flinging arrows. Caribou are fickle creatures. I have never seen more then perhaps ten together at one time. Most times one or two. I have hunted the haul Road 4 times. Ive killed one bull it scored 318 a nice pope and young bull. Ive killed many elk bow hunting, alot of whitetails as well as mule deer. Dont let anyone tell you caribou are dumb. There is almost zero cover for stalking.If a caribou catches movement the gig is up. You must get ahead of them and hope for an ambush.If they are walking, your not going to catch up to them.I have hunted always in August at different times. Its always the same,you should have been here last week.The week after you left the caribou were yelling, take me, take me. Ive never seen that.
    You need to haul firewood with you.There is zero wood for a camp fire or cooking. It could be 60 above or 20 below.Alot of rain without a doubt.If you go any later the Aug. Prepare for snow,bring tire chains. Dont forget spare tires. I would say,you will find caribou.How many,the good Lord only knows. Hunting pressure without a doubt,however you will meet some great folks. The country will wear your as- out. But the country and the sights are beautiful and what many dreams are made of. The fishing is fantastic.! Lots of small game to hunt,which makes for some great eating. Here is what I would tell you from the heart. If you want a great Alaskan North Slope Adventure and consider it a bonus the harvest a caribou dont pass up the chance. If your hunt will not be satisfing to you unless you kill a caribou, stay home.,that will save you alot of disapointment. Thats as honest as I can be. Im planning to go this year In SEPT !!! I like yourself am asking alot of questions as well....BE Prepared..believe me, IVe been to your stae. This aint IOWA

very good advice for sure

There is no "hot spot" for caribou on the haul road. Typically, the warmer the weather the further north they are. I've made probably 12-15 trips up there. Sometimes caribou are in groups as small as two and I've seen groups of a couple thousand. Obviously, any holiday weekend it is busier up there. There are a lot of considerations before planning a trip up there, there isn't a store on every corner so you need to bring everything you think you'll need with you, plus some. I've been up there every month except for January and February and have never needed snow chains. I'm not saying don't be prepared, I'm just saying the road crews up there are pretty good at keeping them cleared. I would say your chances of finding caribou are about 90-95% in August-September. I have never been up there and not seen caribou. Actually getting one, that's up to you. It's best to try to get away from everyone up there. Sometimes you'll see two or three people going after the same bou. Sometimes it's because they didn't see the other hunter on the other side of a hill already stalking, sometimes it's because they just don't give a ****. Try to get ahead of where you think they are going and cut them off, you aren't going to get anywhere trying to chase them down.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Here's another link. This one to a discussion on the haul road.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Mile-Corridor

I have done this hunt many times, it is a hit or miss deal... I have had days where I saw thousands of animals and weeks that I only saw a few animals... So I have been flying out and doing float hunts with the rifle, I love to bowhunt but with lack of terrain and the competition along the road it is tough... It can be done and it is a great first time to alaska hunt but success is generally low... I would do the haul rd. hunt if I couldnt afford to fly, just becuz a week in alaska is awesome... If you have some other questions shoot me a pm and I will tell you what I know... Good Luck