Thread: Back to Eklutna Lake Bears

Question Back to Eklutna Lake Bears

Well, I drew DB468 last year and unfortunately the military moved me out of Alaska but I have managed to secure some leave and airplane tickets so here I come, end of April to mid May.

I was able to do some scouting before I left, but was hoping to get a little more information, if anyone is willing to share. I think I have a good idea of the area of the lake to hunt but I need to have a fall back plan.

So, I was wondering if you guys have spent any time in the river canyon. I am trying to decide if that would be a viable last chance area. Please let me know what you think about it, whether it would be worth it or not.

I appreciate your input.

My PM feature is disabled for some reason...shoot me an email. jbjorkm@gmail.com

Sent ya and email.

There are no salmon runs so I'd look for berries...........

On a side note, can you hunt this on your own as you are no longer an Alaska resident? Or is there a waiver for military folks who were transferred out of state?

On a side note He probably kept his Alaskan residence... Oh yeah that's right you can keep your residence when you pcs elsewhere...

I realize that there is not a salmon run but at the same instance the only berries that will be available will be wintered-over. I figured the best chance that I have is to find calving moose. So I am trying to expand my options by looking for more advice.

Also, 323 hit it on the head. I have kept my Alaska residency by maintaining an AK driver's license and property in the state. It is not just military that can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    Also, 323 hit it on the head. I have kept my Alaska residency by maintaining an AK driver's license and property in the state. It is not just military that can do this.
    I know a guy that took advantage of buying a "resident" military hunting license in WA after leaving the state. He maintained his AK DL but he lost his Alaska state residency because he took a benefit from another state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    I know a guy that took advantage of buying a "resident" military hunting license in WA after leaving the state. He maintained his AK DL but he lost his Alaska state residency because he took a benefit from another state.
    Well I just checked my LA license and it says NR military. I will call tomorrow just to verify.

Don't want to see someone pinned for a technicality.

Worst case scenario, I can take my brother-in-law or father-in-law with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Alaska has a list of states you cannot buy resident hunting/fishing license from. It's a handful of states...

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    Well I just checked my LA license and it says NR military. I will call tomorrow just to verify.
    Your good to go Dave! What time frame are you looking at coming up?

I will be there the first two weeks in May. I figured with the heavy snow that I should still have a good shot at one.

They will be there and the leaves won't be on the trees and brush yet so you will have good visability which helps a lot. Just get back in there and find a good glassing location that will let you see a lot of country. Once you find that spot stay there and don't spread your scent all over the place. Pay close attention to the wind those brown bears don't mess around once they scent you. Start glassing before the sun is up and keep glassing till after it goes down. Be prepared to be bored, wet, cold, and sun burned.