Thread: Skull bleaching components wanted

Default Skull bleaching components wanted

Looking to purchase the components (locally ideally) to bleach a moose skull. I know Sportsmanís carries the kit, but you need two kits due to size and I donít want the degreaser, etcÖ included in the kit.
    Does anyone have a source to buy the peroxide and other ingredient (not sure what it is) so I can do this myself? Also, what is the mixture and procedure to do it correctly?
    Normally I degrease my bear skulls in gas for a week after boiling, then air dry and take them to the taxi for the bleach job. When done, I then paint them with a 50% diluted elmerís glue and clear coat.
    Anybody ever use the Killz white paint to coat the skull vs. the Elmers glue?
    Thanks in advance.
    BK

Check with any beauty supply store in the valley (Sally's?). I buy my supplies in Anchorage, but most of the beauty supply stores will have what you need. "Clairol Basic White 2" powder and 40-volume hydrogen peroxide "developer" creme is used to make a paste, then paint on the skull. Use gloves and safety glasses, as the stuff WILL BURN you if you get it on your skin. Wrap in plastic and keep warm to allow the peroxide to whiten the skull. Afterwards, rinse then allow to dry. If you don't degrease properly before bleaching, grease will eventually leach out of the bone and show up as yellowish spots.

Here are links to just a couple of ways to do it -- everyone has their own technique:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,125076.0.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index...,220665.0.html

BK you can get the hydrgene peroxide from any beauty supply shop. I get mine from from the one across from Sears in Anchorage. Comes in large bottles but takes a few of them to do a brown bear skull. I normally put them in a plastic container and rotate the skull every 4-6 hours so all of it comes in contact with the peroxide. Make sure you use a container that has a lid and put it close to a heat source. If you do not use a lid it will evaporate quickly.

Lonewolf and Bronco,
    Thanks for the tutorial and the attached links. Iíll work on it this days off.
    BK

The Kit is bogus. You get white skulls by getting the grease out. Skulls turn that dingy yellow and start to smell by grease leaching out of them. If you want a high quality mount, you have to get the flesh off, with simmering not boiling, maceration or beetles. Second you need to degrease it, basically heated soap water for several weeks to months and or a thinning agent like your gas but others work as well. Lastly you whiten with peroxide, either a liquid or using a powder agent into a paste and letting dry. Paint is paint, not the real bone, might was well not even bother IMO. Look on taxi net and do a search on maceration, degreasing and you will quickly understand the difference. The painted skull will eventually look terrible as well when the grease leaches and the paint flakes. The 5 hour job is ok for getting the flesh off but will not have a moose grease free. A moose is the most difficult animal to degrease from the angle te antlers come out of the side of the head as opposed to most others coming out of the top of the head. You need a big container to submerge ant leas one whole antler and the skull in and then switch antlers once in a while.

Default Appreciate the advice

P1020470.jpg

Finished my moose skull bleaching project. Thought I would post a pipc of the skull.
    Easy to do, products available locally and inexpensive.
    Sure appreciate all the advice given above and especially the link to the taxidermy website.
    Also took an old caribou that had been hanging outside for years and bleached it too. Came out great. Now I need to figure out a stain to bring life back to the old caribou horns.
    BK

Glad things worked out for you. If you go to this link

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php

and type in "antler staining" in the SEARCH function, you should get literally scores of different ways to tackle your caribou staining. Whatever you choose, make sure you completely mask off your skull so you don't accidentally ruin the work you did to whiten the skull.

Good luck.

Thanks again Lone Wolf1, I'll work on the caribou horn staining part next month. Pretty happy with the results on the moose so far.
    BK

Bk, drop by and see me, I'll give you some stuff to stain em.. Will look like the real thing when your done..

Shoot me a pm if ya need directions.

Hoytguy

Nice job bkmail! What are you going to attach those antlers to?

I would like to mount them on a piece of slabbed burl. I hear the burrels can be a real pain in the butt to cut.
    Any suggestions?
    Going to drop by Hoytguy's studio in 2 weeks and take him up on the stain offer, then I'll have a caribou rack to mount up too!
    BK

40 Weight Peroxide 3.99/bottle +/- any beauty supply store in anchorage.
    Roll of white paper towels
    Black trash bag

Assemble and enjoy.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Milo,
    I used Lonewolf1's process listed here;

"Clairol Basic White 2" powder and 40-volume hydrogen peroxide "developer" creme is used to make a paste, then paint on the skull. Use gloves and safety glasses, as the stuff WILL BURN you if you get it on your skin. Wrap in plastic and keep warm to allow the peroxide to whiten the skull. Afterwards, rinse then allow to dry."

Heat is the key, not time or sunshine to activate the products. I wrapped mine in saran wrap and hung over a heater for 30 mins-1hr for the couple of skulls I bleached. Came out beautiful.

BK

Ok, Nevermind.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Thanks.....

Just wanted to say THANKS to Hoytguy for helping me out with the stain and showing me around his place.
    The caribou rack turned out great.
    Currently working on mounting the racks to a blued steel plate as I have never sen one done like this before.
    Will post again when completely finished.
    Again, Thanks for all the help from those above!
    BK

P1020516.jpg

Looks pretty good.. you could always mix a bit darker and apply in a fef low areas.. then steel wook with fine steel wool the high areas.. Looks good though, The skull portion came out nice and white too eh?

Looks real good can't wait to see the finished product, never seen one mounted to a piece of steel.

Default Camo

Snapped this pic last week when I was down south. Not sure I like it, but it is an alternative. Don't have to worry about yellowing like the ones that were not completely degreased.
    Attached Images Attached Images