Thread: skull cleaning

Default skull cleaning

Does anyone in the anchorage or wasilla area have beetles that need feeding? I have an otter skull I'd like to get cleaned and bleached.

go on to taxidermy.net into the forum and do a search on maceration. something as small as an otter you could put into a wide mouth quart mason jar and set in a heated place for a week and a half and have all the flesh removed by bacteria. Dump contents and be cautious of losing teeth. put back in jar with some hot water and dawn dish soap and change daily for two weeks. It will be nice and clean and can whiten with brown bottle walmart 3% peroxide. An otter is a nice small skull to learn on and supplies will be under $7. Give it a try. A taxidermist be in the $30-50 range.

thanks i might end up doing it myself if icant find someone.

I learned another way a couple of years ago. I put a spring killed bear skull in an unsealed plastic bag and set it on a shed roof to keep the dogs away from it and forgot about it. When I checked it much later, I found it completely clean. The fly maggots cleaned it up.

akhunter, I have beetles, shoot me a pm.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I like the maceration method too...when it is ready for the peroxide I drap a rag over the skull thats in a shallow bucket or pan and pour a bottle or two of the walmart peroxide over it and let it set a few days, the rag wicks up the h2so2, and keeps it working. Then the finishing touch is to remove from h2so2 solution and set out in the sunshine. The sun really makes it whiten up alot.