Thread: Gas out of the Carb overflow

Default Gas out of the Carb overflow

I have a 2003 700 Pro X and this last weekend I ran into a problem. The machine started 2nd pull in -20 F weather, so I was pretty impressed. Then I ran it around the parking lot and let it idle for a couple minutes. Then the machine died. I went to start it and it took me quite a bit of pulls (like it was flooded). As i was pulling I noticed gas coming out of the overflow on top of the Carb. Once the sled started running, gas was continually coming out of the overflow. The sled sounded fine and seemed to run ok (though I never opened it up, just put it on the trailer).

So now I have it in my garage. I am going to clean out the Power Valves and the Carbs. I have heard that the problem might be my power valve could be sticking, or my Carb seat might need to be cleaned/replaced. Does anyone here have any ideas or suggestions about this? Has anyone run into this problem before?

I would appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks,
    J.D.

check ur needle and seat. clean with rubbing alcohol. also check ur fuel filter as gunk can get in the bowl making floats stick. I used to work at a sled shop and those were the things that we always checked first
    only 2 more years and I get to spend 3 months in the best place on earth.....ALASKA!

Ice in the floatbowl. Pull the bowl and clean it. Then BEFORE you start the machine, pull the fuel lines and blow them out, change the filter. Drain the fuel tank. Set the machine so it is leaning towards one corner, siphon all the fuel out making sure you get the hose into that corner. Add isopropyl alcohol. Buy a 5-gallon pail for $50 rather than spend $4 for a cup of it at the gas station. Make sure you fuel up with a Mr. Funnel to keep water out of your gas.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

+1 what Nitro said. Water in the lines (and it doesn't take much!) usually bites you on the really cold days.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    +1 what Nitro said. Water in the lines (and it doesn't take much!) usually bites you on the really cold days.
    Nytro sure offers a more intensive fix than I have ever gone through. I just dump near boiling water over the fuel lines, pump and carb then add some iso-heat and take off. Has worked for me several times now. I take a jetboil or similar stove along on overnight trips where the sleds will be sitting out in the cold.

So water in the gas can lead to ice in the carb which can in turn lead to the float sticking and causing gas to spill out the overflow? I've had water in the lines and stuff before, but never had this problem.

I hope it is just ice. I am putting it in the garage over night and going to check it tomorrow.

I want to try that before I go replacing any parts.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Yep, you get a tiny droplet of water that turns to ice near the carb. It gets wedged between the needle/seat and the carb overflows. I try to run a bottle of the red iso-heat every three or four tanks to keep things cleaned up. Even with careful filling, it is easy to get a small bit of snow in the tank somewhere along the line. Folks that keep their machines in the garage tend to have more ice problems. Letting it thaw out with a near empty tank will allow condensation to accumulate on the inside of the tank. It will run fine when you load it up on the trailer, but after an hour on the road and everything getting below freezing again, problems will show up.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I guess tonight I'll try starting it after its been in the garage all night. If it still comes out of the overflow, it's safe to assume its not the ice and probably the seat or power valves, right? Again, I appreciate the help.

There is always the possibility a grain of sand or dirt is what is causing the problem. If it still overflows, just take the bowl off the problem carb(s) and check out the needl/seat to make sure things are tidy.
    AKmud

My first inclination is to check the needle and seat. Have had similar issues to what you described. I would try simple, then expand to other things.

I appreciate all the help guys! It sat in the garage over night and started on the 2nd or 3rd pull and ran great with no gas coming out of the overflow. Must've just been some water in the gas.

Thanks again guys

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Don't forget to toss some red bottle iso-heet in soon.
    AKmud

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Excellent insight...and great advice...where can you get those 5 gallon buckets of red iso?...Napa?...thanks...

Put the iso in the gas before you put the sled back outside. That way the alcohol can mix with any remaining water and prevent it from turning back into ice before the sled cools back below freezing.

Don't forget the SeaFoam.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    Excellent insight...and great advice...where can you get those 5 gallon buckets of red iso?...Napa?...thanks...
    Here ya go:

Garness Industrial Inc, Anchorage AK 99501

www.merchantcircle.com/.../Garness.Industrial.Inc.907-562-2933Cached - Similar
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    Garness Industrial Inc is located at 6317 Nielson Way C St To W 64th Anchorage, AK. Phone: 907-562-2933.

He sells 99.8% industrial grade isopropyl alcohol. You can get a bunch of the empty little bottles at the gas station trash. Make sure they have the caps though. I fill up a can, and use that and a small funnel to fill the plastic bottles. I keep a couple bottles in the truck and a bunch of them in the porch.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...