Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me .44 Super Redhawk

Default New to me .44 Super Redhawk

Alright, my only experience with big revolvers has been with a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag and 4 rounds through the Performance Center .460. Loved the Dan Wesson...hated the .460. In your opinion how does this one stack-up??? What are some popular mods and can it be converted to .454? This one is a 7.5" .44. I was also considering making it shorter...is it better to have a new short barrel installed or cut this one?

Please excuse my ignorance on this in advance.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Talk to WWG, I know they do alot of ruger work, cutting bbls and such. Not sure about the 454, may not be worth the money and effort since they can be bought new factory made. Never shot a ruger .44mag. Seems I seen a few on here get them cut 5" or so.

Can you get your paws on these Chris???
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=329

BTW, I have enough ammo to go play at the range if you aren`t busy sat morning. Would love to shoot your Blackhawk.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

454 is gonna be cost prohibitive but anything can be done for money. To go 454 youíd need a new cylinder because the 454 cylinder is some special super alloy Ruger used to handle the pressure but be small enough to fit the frame. So, you canít just machine the 44 cylinder to 454, 45 Colt yes, 454 no. Then the barrel would need punched out or replaced, replaced would be cheaper and likely better. So unless you just want to ďbuild itĒ it wonít be worth it, you could buy a 454 for less than the price of the work then you would have a 454 and a 44 both.

Nothing at all wrong with 44mag, itís a heck of a boomer, I donít like the caliber for personal taste reasons but there isnít anything at all wrong with a 44mag.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

BTW, I have enough ammo to go play at the range if you aren`t busy sat morning. Would love to shoot your Blackhawk.
    I've used those loads quite extensively and they are very effective on game.

I have 3 appts saturday man. On the ammo, it is good accurate round, but I am not planning on ordering any more ammo.

The only two things I can think of to improve a SRH are to swap out the ruger factory grip for hogue tamer grips and possibly have a trigger/action job done.

The SRH is an exceptionally accurate revolver, work up loads and shoot the heck out of it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have the SRH in 454 and love it. Mine came with the Hogue Grips and I can shoot bear loads in it all day and not tear up my palm. Your gonna love that gun in 44 Mag.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thanks for the info. gents. I am getting ready to place my order with Midway for the Hogue`s as they get great reviews and haven`t heard anything negative about fitment yet. I`m used to the factory grip `cause it`s the same as the GP100 I had and was fairly proficient with it but would like a bigger grip. Anyone know if the Tamer grip is available in town???

akrstabout,
    Now I remember our conversation...I`ll look you up later and you can fill me in on the shipping.

ADFields,
    Thanks for the heads up on the conversion. I believe I was thinking about the .45 Redhawk or something. I think the .44 will do what it needs to do. Anybody in town you trust to shorten it to 5"?

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Sportsmans in Wasilla has Hogue grips. Check em out before you pay shipping from Midway. Midway has good prices till you eat the shipping costs, unless you order a crap load of stuff to offset shipping charges.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

ADFields,
    Thanks for the heads up on the conversion. I believe I was thinking about the .45 Redhawk or something. I think the .44 will do what it needs to do. Anybody in town you trust to shorten it to 5"?
    Yes a 45 Redhawk conversion to 454 is a worthwhile endeavor, you canít just buy one and they are lighter than the Super. With a 45 RH you just put a 454 SRH cylinder on it and your all done.

Ether of the forum gunsmith sponsors should be fine to bob your SRH and move the sight back, WWG or Alaska Custom Firearms.

Hey I will be out in wasilla area saturday, I can pick them up for you if want, if the SW in town doesn't have them-or anyone else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Hey I will be out in wasilla area saturday, I can pick them up for you if want, if the SW in town doesn't have them-or anyone else for that matter.
    Thanks boss...sent you a PM

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Did a little shopping today and lucked-out. Found a box of 320 grain hardcast Double Tap ammo and some Equalizers (hollow point bullet chased by lead ball in same cartridge. Second score was the mono-grip from Hogue. Can`t wait to go play.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

I have the SRH in 44 mag. with a 7.5 inch barrel and am very pleased with it as it is. Mine come with the Hogue grip and I put a 2X Leupold on it. You need to load it and shoot it some before you change anything. You might like it as it is.

I hunted with a 7.5" .44 SRH with 2x Leuopld and it was a great gun. Only work I had done was to have the double action slicked up so I could just squeeze off a shot without spooking animals with SA cocking. I know I am not as good a shot as many on these forums but I could get 1/2" groups at 25 yards shooting DA with arms rested, and did enjoy smacking gongs at 100 yards. Popped a black bear at 15 yards with a hard cast Garrett and he didn't even know I was there till he git hit. You will like that gun!
    BEE

Did a little shopping today and lucked-out. Found a box of 320 grain hardcast Double Tap ammo and some Equalizers (hollow point bullet chased by lead ball in same cartridge. Second score was the mono-grip from Hogue. Can`t wait to go play.
    So did you go play?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yes a 45 Redhawk conversion to 454 is a worthwhile endeavor, you canít just buy one and they are lighter than the Super. With a 45 RH you just put a 454 SRH cylinder on it and your all done.

Ether of the forum gunsmith sponsors should be fine to bob your SRH and move the sight back, WWG or Alaska Custom Firearms.
    ???

The Super Redhawk inspite of it's looks is lighter than the Redhawk for the same length barrel. Remember the SRH has a skelentonized grip frame whereas the redhawk has a full size grip frame.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default Redhawk is HEAVY

If I recall my correctly my future .454 Redhawk is going to be about 7 oz lighter and less than a inch shorter than my .500 S&W. The Redhawk is not a small gun; the SRH is even heavier and bigger.

Of course my future Redhawk .454 depends on eventually getting a Redhawk that is not screwed up with barrel installed cock-eyed etc. It is still back at the factory on its second trip; I haven't even gotten a confirmation that they received it back. Based on the poor quality and lousy factory service I'll think long and hard before I put down my money on a Ruger DA revolver again!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    ???

The Super Redhawk inspite of it's looks is lighter than the Redhawk for the same length barrel. Remember the SRH has a skelentonized grip frame whereas the redhawk has a full size grip frame.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Nah, never made it out. Dropping the revolver off for the cut saturday...it will be a 4" from now on.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast