Thread: your opinions on packs for everything????????

Default your opinions on packs for everything????????

I am in need of a new pack and if possible wold like to get kind of a one pack for everything pack. I have owned Eberlestocks before and badlands and really liked their day packs, so i was looking at one of the "just one" eberlestocks as well as a bunch more, and i also searched the site for pack reccomendations. I see the Barneys are well liked, and also way more expensive, but if they are worth it then ill just save up longer.

What would you all reccomend for a do all pack for AK hunting. My hunting plans for this year are Moose , and also bears and deer on POW.

any and all suggestions are appreciated.

thanks
    Fin

I like Eberlestock packs but they are not really suited for moose. I honestly don't like external frame packs but for moose the Barney's is tough to beat.

I own a Eberestock J-104 and is a great day pack that can expand to a full size pack if you kill something. They have an excellent rifle carrier but I would never want to carry a really heavy load. I use my Barney's pack for hauling moose.

I own the J104 and I didn't really like it when trying to get through alders and brush it hangs up because of its width, and when it is loaded and you have a spike camp duffle zipped to the outside it throws your center of gravity to the back and makes it difficult to go down hill without getting pulled down on your butt. I bought their new pack, the battleship v90 this year which is a normal style pack. It is narrower and taller. I like that weight distribution better than having it stacked two feet off of your back. Before I go out on my next moose hunt I am going to get a barneys pack. I agree with LuJon about not being a fan of external frame packs. But when you are packing out moose I don't think the just one packs would do very well.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

i thought about that too, i have an external pack frame as well, and debated on a "Just one" and the frame to cover everything. I just havent used an internal frame to pack a heavy load, i used a Blacks Creek pack to haul out Elk in the past and it was just too small and uncomfortable for those heavy loads. but i had an X2 that i really liked and wondering if the bigger Eberlestocks haul heavy loads better.

When condesnsed to a day pack the Just One packs are great, if you are only hauling meat a little ways with them they are great. But if you had to haul the meat and your camp, the weight sits too far behind you. Unfortunately I didn't get to haul any meat with my new one but I liked the way it handled the weight of the camp gear and how well the load was riding on the hike in and out. I still wouldn't use it for moose though, too much weight there.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

i have a J107. It "worked" for a few seasons but is not ideal. I know they say it's the "just one" pack, but if you load it up it sags pretty bad due to the rifle scabbard between the framesheet and actual bag of the pack. Then add on the spike duffle to carry your pack contents and meat out and you're really pulled back. Carrying a load of a little over 130lbs and the left strap failed and it seperated a little from the frame sheet. I got it rebuilt but retired it from elk hunting, and used my Gregory Denali. I'm about to order a Kifaru Timberline 1. Depending on your budget it's a lot better option. Depending on your torso length you may look at Mystery Ranch's Nice frame and maybe a 6500 bag. If you have a longer torso the load lifters aren't very functional. Just my take on them from my use in the lower 48 on 10-14day backpack hunts.

If you want to haul a moose quarter a rigid frame is the only way to go.

I've used a couple of cheap frames, a Barney's, a Mystery Ranch NICE frame and load sling...all did better than any internal that I've owned with that much weight. A friend swears by a Bull Pac for the same reasons.

In the POW you could do a whole lot worse than a frame with a good dry bag lashed to it for a "one pack" option.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have Barney's Pinnacle in Kevlar material and Kifaru Longhunter Guide. Barney carries loads easier and is more comfy.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I have an Eberlestock Just One and did a moose this past fall. My heavier load was a front should and a hind quarter...granted it was a fork horn, and I only had to pack it about 1.5 miles, but I didn't mind it too much. The best is tossing your rifle in the scabbard and not constantly messing with a sling. My buddy on that hunt had an external frame from Cabelas, Alaskan guide series I think, and he had the same rubs on his hips that my Eberle did. I think when you're considering an all around pack, dry weight definately has some pull, but so does fit and functionality. I'm 6'1" 200lbs...my pack will not feel good on your back. Go have one fitted for ya (REI does a pretty good job, so does Barney's) Put 110 lbs in it and walk around the block 3 times, if it sucks, imagine muskeg, alders, and 25 degree inclines/declines....return the pack and try again! You test drove your truck right? Drive your pack, bc it sucks havin a crappy 100# pack vs a comfy 100# pack!!

Good luck
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

We use Bull packs and hands down are the best we have used. I have used a lot of packs and for meat and alot of weight you will be glad you have one. I am 160lb. and have no problem with moose qurters killing my back or rubbing the hell out of your hips. Some day we might get smart and shot one on the river. Thats just my 2cents.

I have the just one and hauled three caribou with it last year. The weight sat way to low on my back. It worked and got the job done but was real tough going. The pack is the best until you got something on the ground. I was telling myself that I would never leave the Barney's frame at home ever again.

Like anything, no pack excels at everything. I really like Barney's external frames for heavy hauling long distances. But it wouldn't be my first choice for a black bear day hunt, or a summer packrafting trip.

Another thing to consider is that pack fit is a very personal thing. Just cause it fits one person nicely doesn't mean it will work for you as well. Yes packs can be adjusted but fit, and your applications is also key to finding which packs work for you.

I would take a good look at the REI XT 85 pack if you are looking for a semi-do-it-all pack. At 5 pounds for 5000+ cu in and a kinda internal, external frame gig for $300 or less if you have coupon codes or weight until the spring 20% off sale it might be what you need.

I was just thinking about this very question myself. For the POW hunt I would want the lowest profile you can get - getting through the understory is hard enough down here without your pack hanging up. I have never used an external frame pack and was wondering the benefits? Besides the obvious ability to hold great weight, how do they handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    I have Barney's Pinnacle in Kevlar material and Kifaru Longhunter Guide. Barney carries loads easier and is more comfy.
    Does anyone else have experience with the Kifaru Longhunter? Been oogling both the Barneys external and Kifaru... and saving pennies.

Stop by Wiggy's AK on old seward just north of Dimond, he sells packs, brand is not coming to mind, never used or owned one, but know he does and uses them on his hunts. I know he sells them cheaper than REI too. They are internal frames with waist bands that he heats and forms to your hips.

I use a barnys hunter pack and frame in the kevlar type bag. Really awesome for heavy loads, worked on MTN hunts pretty well, but see where an internal would be nicer if proper fit and size. They will snag less on branches while busting brush through alders or small new growth trees.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Stop by Wiggy's AK on old seward just north of Dimond, he sells packs, brand is not coming to mind, .
    Think Taylor sells Osprey...very decent pack.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

German surplus Mountain Bergan, made of canvas with two large pockets outside and leather straps, a small pocket inside too, very light empty, carrys like its part of your back and I can snap off the straps and wash it in cold water to get any blood out.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Find the 2003 or 2004 Dana Design catalog that's online somewhere, determine your dana pack and waistbelt sizes, and snipe a suitable terraplane, astralplane, or alpine from ebay or craigslist for <$200. If the color doesn't work, spray paint it. It will swallow a bone-in moose hindquarter.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonahtic View Post
    Does anyone else have experience with the Kifaru Longhunter? Been oogling both the Barneys external and Kifaru... and saving pennies.
    I have both. Haven't used the Longhunter to carry any critters out yet as I just got it in December, but seems very well made. My one grip about the Barney's was towards the end of last year after my 4th sheep hunt of the season I was bottomed out on the waistbelt and couldn't get it to stay up on my waist for very long with weight. With the Kifaru I have more ability to snug up smaller with the waistbelt. Granted by mid September I was down to 147 lbs at 5'9 with less than a 29" waist. If your waist is larger than that it shouldn't be an issue, but I thought it bears worth mentioning.