Thread: Info on Dave Scadden boats

Default Info on Dave Scadden boats

Hi folks,

I met Dave Scadden at the Great Alaska Sportsman Show this weekend. Had a look at his boats and am somewhat intrigued. His catarafts are made out of PVC, which is urethane coated on the inside. All of them are fully welded.

I'm curious if anyone out there has had experience with this company, and how it went. Namely:

1. Product reliability. Did your boat leak? Did it hold up as well as it should have?

2. Performance. Did the boat do what you expected?

3. Customer service. Did your boat appear on schedule when you ordered it? Was the price right? How were warranty claims handled? In short, did the company take care of you as they should?

Thanks for your input!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I asked a similar question a while back and got no response. I am most interested in the McKenzie Drifter a two person raft.

I don't have any information, but I was sure impressed by their light weight. I didn't spend too much time looking them over, but the seams I saw were very neat & tidy, as were the frame welds. They paid close attention to practical things like making their frames just narow enough to fit a fully inflated 13' cat into the back of a pickup. They seem to be laid out well. I also liked their slide out & flip over fishing stand/rest. Clever idea, and very practical.

I note that their website rates them for up to class V rivers, but I'm a little skeptical. I think at the very least I'd beef up the frame before I tried that. But for normal floating and fishing they look very good.

Default scadden

I dont like the skinny oarlocks on the 13' boat. The fishcat will fit a full sized oar. I also heard and cannot verify that the scadden is bladderless, seems unlikley but it is what I heard, that would explain the weight savings but would be a pain to repair. I do like a lifetime warranty when I can get one but now that the Fishcats have a 10 year warranty and you get customer service in Anchorage the Scaddens dont win out in the end for me.

Default More info on Scadden boats

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    I dont like the skinny oarlocks on the 13' boat. The fishcat will fit a full sized oar. I also heard and cannot verify that the scadden is bladderless, seems unlikley but it is what I heard, that would explain the weight savings but would be a pain to repair. I do like a lifetime warranty when I can get one but now that the Fishcats have a 10 year warranty and you get customer service in Anchorage the Scaddens dont win out in the end for me.
    Palm,

I spoke with Dave Scadden at the sportsman show this weekend, and asked particularly about how the boats are constructed. Generally PVC is not very air-retentive, and is usually used in connection with urethane. AIRE does this with a urethane inner bladder, Maravia spray coats their PVC boats with urethane, and SOTAR even uses pure urethane membrane over a base cloth on their Lexatron boats. Scadden coats the INSIDE of his boats with urethane, and no, they are not a bladder-style boat.

Mr. Scadden really caught my attention when he mentioned that his boats are fully welded. Welding involves sandwiching the boat fabric between two parts of the welding machine, making it impossible to weld the entire tube (you have to leave an opening to remove the other part of the machine). Most companies weld most of the tube, and close up the final opening by glueing the last few inches together until the tube is sealed. Some companies have had lots of trouble with this technique, for a variety of reasons. Scadden's boats are different. He welds the tube almost to the end, then secures a hard plastic cone to the end with heat in some way. I was a bit unclear as to how he does this, but he suggested it was a pretty expensive process. I don't know of anyone else building boats this way.

I spoke with Tracey Harmon at Alaska Raft and Kayak about the boats, and he affirmed that they are well constructed. But a confidential source told me that there may be distribution / product delivery issues. I have no wish to be unfair to Mr. Scadden in this regard, and for that reason I am asking for input from others here in the forum, concerning this aspect of their experience.

So, how about it folks? Anyone out there dealt with this company before? How did they treat you? Did they deliver as promised?

Hope this clears some things up. Anybody out there have anything else on this?

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

They have two types of pontoons the ST series has bladders and the H2 is bladderless. I have a friend that bought the McKenzie Drifter ST 13' at the show. I will let you know what i think when it gets in. I talk to Dave about motors and he said they would only recomend up to a 15hp with no problems. I talked to my friend and we will throw my 9.9 on it as soon as we can to see what it is like.

Well i sure did not have any problems in my dealings to get my two rafts and have two other friends that each got two and two more that got one each . of those 4 guys,one of those guys had repeated problems took 3 shipments before it was right. I do not recall specifics but there were some problems and they were taken care of.
    i'm new to this type of inflatable, have owned sport boat type for most of 30 years. as far as quality i think they are very high quality have had mine 2 seasons but really have not used them alot and these are my first rafts. and some very nice features . well worth looking at if you are in the market
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have a McKenzie Drifter and a outlaw Avenger Hull. I used the frames off of my McKenzie drifter for my avenger. As for the quality they are as good as anything on the market or better. As for customer service Dave is below average. They have a distribution problem. They don't have the boats ready to ship when they are ordered. They wont tell you or contact you when something is back ordered either.

Default More remarks from another thread...

and some more positive about Scadden's service:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=8930