Thread: Hand Troll Permits

Default Hand Troll Permits

What is a hand troll permit, who can get one, plus and minuses, etc . Thanks

A hand troll permit is for salmon in SE Alaska. It covers the area between Ketchikan and Icy bay, or thereabouts. It basically is the economic variety of the salmon power troll permit. I had a power troll permit for 10 years for my boat in SE. Cost me $35,000. During that time the hand troll permits were selling for $6,000 to $10,000. Have no idea what they run now. The plus or minuses are simple. Power means you can use hydraulic gurdies to run your line up and down and pull fish, and hand means you can't use hydraulics. Many hand trollers just use regular fishing poles. When I power trolled, I used 60 pound cannonballs with 10 to 60 hooks running down 30 to 50 fathoms. Now, obviously you couldn't do that easily hand trolling, so the hand trollers can't fish in as deep of water, nor can they use that heavy of a cannonball. I think you are limited to two lines also on a hand troll permit.

If you have big arms and the desire to work hard, you can usually scratch a living out in the summer hand trolling. King salmon only last a few days unless your doing hatchery openings, so your main target is silvers all summer/fall.

My disclaimer is that I haven't commercial fished since 1997, so things may have changed since then.

Anyone can get them, and you have to buy from someone selling as it is limited entry. Here are some here: http://www.permitmaster.com/permits....ategory=Alaska

Good luck.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I'm a hand troller. I've had my permit for about 4 years now. It's a kick in the pants to do as a hobby. I spent years crewing on bigger power trollers, but kids and life have kept me a hobby fisherman. Anybody can get one. You can only fish it in SE. You need an ADFG number on a boat to get one, if I recall correctly.

I hand troll out of my 19' Pacific Skiff w/150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I have 18' Poles and 2 speed gurdies. (2 speed are a must if you like your arms) I run 25# cannon balls and rarely fish deeper than 10fa. I use 11" flashers with hoochies. It's an absolute kick in the pants to hook into kings on kelp lines with my small boat. The whole boat shakes when I hook up and it's a battle to get the big ones up to the boat and knock em in the head. My boat is also a fish catching SOB, so I do pretty well. I don't hand troll much though, just enough to get my fix. I like to make 1k a morning during july king openings, and a least 500 a day when coho fishing. I don't do much coho fishing though, as I'm usually pretty burnt on fishing by the time the cohos get fat and worth something. It's just a hobby though for me. Pays for my hunts.

I didn't grab nearly enough pictures this last season. Had 60ish kings in 4 days fishing the same kelp line, with a 8fa drag. Was back at the dockside eating breakfast by 10am too, every morning. Was a kick in the pants. Had 18 nice kings in the first 2 hours of the season. That's good fishing for a 19' skiff.

Here's my trolling skiff.

Nice pic's! Got me reminicing about my days fishing SE...Good times, for sure, but still rather be where I'm at now. My king fishing wasn't the best down there. Think my best day on the power troll was 45 kings of Lisinaski, but the rocks! Best part was anchoring and going into the hot springs. Silvers is where I made my cash. In 92, I think, I averaged 121 silvers per day, for each day fished. All by myself too, on a 45 foot boat. Had a smokin easy year one year, in 95. I was picking up 70 to 90 silvers a day in Salisbury, just fishing from Kalinin Bay out to the buoy. Everyone spent the season running all over, but I decided I was catching enough to pay the bills and just stuck and stayed. Was all fun and games till the brownies kept trying to swim out to my boat when I was anchored in Kalinin trying to get some sleep...I'd feel the boat roll slowly to the side, and run out with a paddle and whack em in the paws and away they'd go. They couldn't seem to quite pull themselves up the side...

That's funny about the bears. I crewed on power trollers from the Fairweathers/Lituya Bay down to Forrester Island off Dall Island. Did lots of fishing out of Sitka too. Being anchored up in Lituya bay waiting out weather ranks as something everyone should do at least once in their life. Talk about some big bears! Amazing place with the trees being wiped off by that wave, and the waves over the bar is awesome. We barely made it in the bay one night, before the ebb started. Biggest waves I've ever seen out there on the fairweather grounds. We did 181 kings that first day though.

Yeah, the ole Fairweather grounds are rough! I'd usually make a run out there every third year. I enjoyed running up to Yakutat in late August. I really hated coming back from Yakutat in mid September.... Lituya Bay is one crazy place. Ran in there quite a few times. Really beautiful, but every time I would go in there, I would always ask myself... am I going to get out?? lol.

For some reason my boat just couldn't catch the kings in the numbers of most, but man would I kill the silvers. It ran hotter than most, and I don't think the black box turned down the charge like it was supposed to.